Why become a member? ×

Dad3353's Selection...

Dad3353

No apologies; this is a topic in which I shall be posting stuff that I like, and that I think merits a listen. Eclectic..? Rather; no other theme than that it's my choice. Some long, some less so, from a mix of periods and dates; a real rag-bag of music. I'm not ashamed, either to say that I know who the bass (if there is one...) is played by for a few; I know who plays drums on more, but even then, not always. To me, it's secondary, as it's the music created that I listen to principally. Posts will be sporadic; maybe daily at first, but no promises. Here, then, is the first; enjoy...

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 11

7 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Interesting thread. 

I imagine that all of us could put forward tracks and artists which "merit a listen". 

I look forward to hearing people's contributions. 

I kind of thought it'd be Dad's choices only, otherwise it'd be just another thread of people's tracks they like? 

Better let the man himself decide? .. 😁

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

Yes, indeed, anyone can start their own topic of stuff they would like to share. :rWNVV2D:

Soooooo, just to keep the ball rolling along here, here's another of my 'top' selection...

This one's familiar but the Margaret Barry version is the one I recall

6 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

There are probably over a hundred recorded versions of this song, originally an Irish folk ballad. B|

MB was an interesting character, she used to sing accompanying herself on a battered old banjo, she used to do the Irish pubs in London at one point. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, toneknob said:

I could have posted the whole series from these concerts (the 35 years anniversary, Trianon, DVDs...), with over eight hours of intense, passionate, playing. There are many more 'live' concert albums, plus the studio stuff. I chose only one extract, as a 'teaser', or 'taster'; there is very little Magma to be culled, as it's all extraordinary. One may note that there is not a music stand in sight; all is played and sung after rehearsals until perfectly ingrained. This, for 35 years of compositions, immensely detailed, to be executed perfectly, 'live' each time. Super-human, I say.
I'll continue tomorrow with maybe something a bit lighter, but rest assured, there's more 'intense' stuff to come..! :rWNVV2D:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Jaco Pastorius at his best, nothing else to say, really listening to the others (Lyle Mays and Michael Brecker when he plays) and playing with Don Alias, not against him.

I think Joni Mitchell was the only one who has ever been able to canalise him the right way.

Pat Metheny is also excellent as well as Joni Mitchell of course.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, toneknob said:

Shame they've cut it with the vintage movie footage (see also late 70s Genesis live footage)

Exhibit A m'lud. the thrilling Cinema Show instrumental (Phil, Mike, Tone at their best, then joined by Bill Bruford) with pointless b&w movies pasted over the top. 

• Like 3