Why become a member? ×

Desert Island Effects ...

SamIAm

OK, so a desert island is not likely to have any power, but ...

If you had to select just four effects pedals (And I'm talking single effects ... not the multi f/x units) on your pedalboard, what would they be?

How would you order them in your signal chain?

Why?

And if you have such a setup ... share a photo :) 

S'manth x

• Like 2

SWR Interstellar Overdrive

tce 1140 parametric

FI (I would have enough time to tame it)

IE Xerograph Deluxe (or Onkart Gromt) envelope

+1 tce HyperGravity three band compressor

OK, the first two aren't pedals. Then SWR could be Spruce effects Old growth fuzz, and 1140 could be IE Divaricator (X-over).

Order:

Xero - SWR - FI - 1140 - HG

envelope - X-over (fuzz in the loop) - FI - comp

20230429_200427.thumb.jpg.0bb0b7c015e97d78ca59201a4d2a8902.jpg

20201007_110425.thumb.jpg.cbceb218c5c6b1361b67ebc25ef673e1.jpg

The order is this, because I like how envelope reacts to my playing. OD/dist/fuzz loves to be in the front line, just like the envelope. Comp is last and it will take care of the overall level (if needed). Anything else can be between those already mentioned.

Oh dear, do I have to build one more set?

Edited by itu
  • Like 3

Schalltechnik VONG-Filterung

TC Spectracomp

EHX POG2

TC Corona chorus

in that order. I have the first two and I fancy a POG2 but can't justify the outlay for a plaything, but since @Smanth is buying...

HPF/LPF first to get rid of unwanted frequencies, compressor after that to help the octaver tracking, and chorus at the end as trying to run an octaver on a chorussed signal is asking for trouble.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

... are these fantasy items rather than pedals we actually own? 

Also does one have a choice of guitar, bass, keyboard or any combination? 

Any single fx pedals ... go wild!

I know not of this guitar or keyboard of which you speak! lol

S'manth x

My main boards are pretty much just that.
[1] tuner -> [2] high-pass filter -> [3] compressor -> [4] preamp

They both have a PSU and a wireless receiver, and one has a passive A/B to switch between wireless and cable, but fundamentally they're 4 pedals.

main_boards_23.thumb.jpg.435994fecbae189453445e1711e510a1.jpg

Then the DIY rehearsal board goes one better and ditches the HPF.

rehearsal_board_23.thumb.jpg.69efdcfd619b5fc2317df4b127e19b57.jpg

I've come to the conclusion that they're all I need, and I hate doing the pedal tap-dance, so the tuner being all I need to operate suits me perfectly!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Smanth said:

Any single fx pedals ... go wild!

I know not of this guitar or keyboard of which you speak! lol

S'manth x

Well you gots to have something to twang the pedals with.. If its just a single bass you're allowed I'll have my Bass Vl and sneak some baritone strings in the case for variation. 

I'll get back to you on the pedals in a bit.. 

• Like 1

My usual set-up is four pedals: Broughton BBA, Peterson Strobostomp, Cali76-TX and a Noble DI, so I guess that! It's lovely for a clean tone but, if we're talking about slightly more exciting effects, I'd probably have a JAM Delay Llama Xtreme, an EQD Life Pedal v.3 for massive grit, a Southampton Utility Knife for modulation and a Chromatron or Barbanera as a filter. If I could only have one non-multi-effects pedal, it would probably be the Darkglass Element or ADAM. Whether I could bluetooth-in audio on a desert island is a different question though.

• Like 1

I don't have photo of my current setup, and still working on a complete rearrangement of my pedal board.

• This however is the pedals that makes up the basic core of my "amp-less" setup, that is the pedal signal chain that is responsible for my basic "clean" tone:

Mosky XP Booster (clone of the Xotic EP Booster V1) -> XVive Undulator (tremolo pedal, but never actually engaged and used exclusively for its great buffer) -> EHX Black Finger (tube driven optical compressor, with 2 preamp tubes operating at proper high 300V plate voltage, mainly used as a tube preamp stage, driven to just at the edge of the tubes's breakup point, but with some very subtle compression dialed in as well) -> Zoom B1Xon (mainly used as reverb unit, including the {very subtle plate reverb -> subtle spring reverb} patch that is part of my basic "clean" tone) -> Boss LS-2 [Loop A + Loop B Mix] (always on effects loop switcher/mixer) ->{ [Loop A Send] -> Joyo Oxford Sound (clone of the Tech 21 Oxford preamp pedal, which is an all analog emulation of an Orange type amp, including a simple analog cab sim filter, dialed in to deliver a low gain overdrive, and mixed with the NUX MLD Bass Preamp from effects [Loop B]) ->|+|<- [Loop B Send] -> NUX Melvin Lee Davis Bass Preamp + DI (loaded with a digitally emulated Aguilar Tone Hammer amp, and an Ampeg SVT-212AV IR cab simulation, with a subtle low gain overdrive blended in at a 50/50 clean/drive ratio, and mixed with the Joyo Oxford Sound from effects [Loop A]) => [Loop A Return] + [Loop B Return] (mixed at an approximate 1:2 ratio) => [LS-2 Output]  }-> ART Tube MP Project Series (tube preamp and DI, technically not a pedal though) ->

Gives me a really great vibrant and clear, but at the same time full sounding, mids heavy and very lightly overdriven, tone, and I could totally live with just that...

• Though, assuming my preferred "clean" tone was already being provided, next on my desert island pedal wish list would be the pedals that makes up my high gain distortion setup, which then would be placed after the EHX Black Finger in the above listed signal chain, looking like this :

-> TC Electroni Sub'N'Up Mini (digital polyphonic octaver, exclusively used for a custom made 1 octave up Toneprint, always used stacked into the high gain distortion setup/signal chain in front of it) -> Boss LS-2 [Loop A + Loop B Mix] (effects loop switcher/mixer) ->{ [Loop A Send] -> Mosky Black Rat (RAT clone, in Turbo RAT mode, dialed in to deliver a high gain distortion, mixed with the {Joyo Orange Juice -> Boss MT-2 Metal Zone} from effects [Loop B]) ->|+|<- [Loop B Send] -> Joyo Orange Juice (Orange amp like overdrive, dialed in to deliver a low gain overdrive, either used alone, mixed with clean signal from effects [Loop A], or stacked into the Boss Metal Zone in front of it, and mixed with the Mosky Black RAT from effects [Loop A]) -> Boss MT-2 Metal Zone (dialed in to deliver a medium gain distortion, always with the Orange Juice behind it stacked into it, and always mixed with the Mosky Black RAT from effects [Loop A]) => [Loop A Return] + [Loop B Return] (mixed at an approximate 4:5 ratio) => [LS-2 Output]  }->

Which delivers a monstrous ballsy, raunchy, fuzz-esque, and massively heavy high gain distortion tone, which though is still surprisingly well defined and articulate. 

• Next on my wish list would then be my NUX Tape Core Deluxe pedal, which is a pretty amazing digital emulation of the legendary Roland RE-201 Space Echo tape delay, and which would be placed after the Zoom B1Xon in the top signal chain list above.

• And last on the list would then be following modulation setup signal chain, placed after the the TC Electronic Sub'N'Up Mini in the second from top signal chain list above:

-> Boss LS-2 [Loop A + Loop B Mix] (effects loop switcher/mixer) ->{ [Loop A Send] -> Monarch MFL-22 Stereo Flanger (basically a rebranded version of the Arion SFL-1, sometimes stacked into the HoTone Trem in front of it, mixed with either clean signal, or sometimes the Behringer VP1 Vintage Phaser, from effects [Loop B]) -> HoTone Trem (tremolo, sometimes used with the Monarch Stereo Flanger behind it stacked into it, and always mixed with either clean signal, or sometimes the Behringer VP1 Vintage Phaser, from effects [Loop B]) ->|+|<- [Loop B Send] -> Behringer VP1 Vintage Phaser (clone of the original big box EHX Small Stone phaser, with Color switch engaged for deep sweep and high resonance/feedback, always mixed with the Monarch MFL-22 Stereo Flanger from effects [Loop A]) => [Loop A Return] + [Loop B Return] (mixed at an approximate 50/50 ratio) => [LS-2 Output]  }->

Which fulfills all my modulation desires... Well almost, a TC Electronic Tailspin vibrato, which is a Boss VB-2 clone, would be a nice addition to this.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I don't have photo of my current setup, and still working on  complete rearrangement of my pedal board.

• This however is the pedals that makes up the basic core of my "amp-less" setup, that is the pedal signal chain that are responsible for my basic "clean" tone:

Mosky XP Booster (clone of the Xotic EP Booster V1) -> XVive Undulator (tremolo, but never actually engaged and used exclusively for its great buffer) -> EHX Black Finger (tube driven optical compressor, with 2 preamp tubes operating at proper high 300V plate voltage, mainly used as a tube preamp stage, with some very subtle compression dialed in, driven to just on the edge of the breakup point) -> Zoom B1Xon (mainly used as reverb unit, including the {very subtle plate reverb -> subtle spring reverb} patch that is part of my basic "clean" tone) -> Boss LS-2 [Loop A + Loop B Mix] (effects loop switcher/mixer) ->{ [Loop A Send] -> Joyo Oxford Sound (clone of the Tech 21 Oxford pedal, which is an all analog emulation of an Orange type amp, dialed in to deliver a low gain overdrive, and mixed with the NUX MLD Bass Preamp from effects [Loop B]) ->|+|<- [Loop B Send] -> NUX Melvin Lee Davis Bass Preamp + DI (loaded with a digitally emulated Aguilar Tone Hammer amp, and an Ampeg SVT-212AV IR cab simulation, with a subtle low gain overdrive blended in at a 50/50 clean/drive ratio, and mixed with the Joyo Oxford Sound from effects [Loop A]) => [Loop A Return] + [Loop B Return] (mixed at an approximate 1:2 ratio) => [LS-2 Output]  }-> ART Tube MP Project Series (tube preamp and DI, technically not a pedal though) ->

Gives me a really great vibrant and clear but at the same tine full, very lightly overdriven and mids heavy, tone, and I could totally live with just that...

• Though assuming my preferred "clean" tone was already being provided next on my desert island pedal wish list would be the pedals that makes up my high gain distortion setup, which then would be placed after the EHX Black Finger in the above listed signal chain, looking like this :

-> TC Electroni Sub'N'Up Mini (digital polyphonic octaver, exclusively used for a custom made 1 octave up Toneprint, always used stacked into the high gain distortion setup/signal chain in front of it) -> Boss LS-2 [Loop A + Loop B Mix] (effects loop switcher/mixer) ->{ [Loop A Send] -> Mosky Black Rat (RAT clone, in Turbo RAT mode, dialed in to deliver a high gain distortion, mixed with the {Joyo Orange Juice -> Boss MT-2 Metal Zone} from effects [Loop B]) ->|+|<- [Loop B Send] -> Joyo Orange Juice (Orange amp like overdrive, dialed in to deliver a low gain overdrive, either used alone, mixed with clean signal from effects [Loop A], or stacked into the Boss Metal Zone in front of it, and mixed with the Mosky Black RAT from effects [Loop A]) -> Boss MT-2 Metal Zone (dialed in to deliver a medium gain distortion, always with the Orange Juice behind it stacked into it, and always mixed with the Mosky Black RAT from effects [Loop A]) => [Loop A Return] + [Loop B Return] (mixed at an approximate 3:4 ratio) => [LS-2 Output]  }->

Which delivers a monstrous ballsy, raunchy, fuzz-esque, and massively heavy high gain distortion tone, which though still is surprisingly well defined and articulate. 

• Next on my wish list would then be my NUX Tape Core Deluxe pedal, which would be placed after the Zoom B1Xon in the top signal chain list above, which is a pretty amazing digital emulation of the legendary Roland RE-201 Space Echo tape delay. 

• And last on the list would then be following modulation list, placed after the the TC Electronic Sub'N'Up Mini in the second from top signal chain list above:

-> Boss LS-2 [Loop A + Loop B Mix] (effects loop switcher/mixer) ->{ [Loop A Send] -> Monarch MFL-22 Stereo Flanger (basically a rebranded version of the Arion SFL-1, sometimes stacked into the HoTone Trem in front of it, and sometimes mixed with the Behringer VP1 Vintage Phaser from effects [Loop B]) -> HoTone Trem (tremolo, sometimes used with the Monarch Stereo Flanger behind it stacked into it, and always mixed with either clean signal, or sometimes the Behringer VP1 Vintage Phaser, from effects [Loop B]) ->|+|<- [Loop B Send] -> Behringer VP1 Vintage Phaser (clone of the original big box EHX Small Stone phaser, with color switch engaged for deep sweep and high resonance/feedback, always mixed with the Monarch MFL-22 Stereo Flanger from effects [Loop A]) => [Loop A Return] + [Loop B Return] (mixed at an approximate 1:1 ratio) => [LS-2 Output]  }->

Which fulfills all my modulation desires... Well almost, a TC Electronic Tailspin vibrato, which is a Boss VB-2 clone, would be a nice addition to this.

She said four!

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I don't have photo of my current setup, and still working on a complete rearrangement of my pedal board.

• This however is the pedals that makes up the basic core of my "amp-less" setup, that is the pedal signal chain that is responsible for my basic "clean" tone:

Mosky XP Booster (clone of the Xotic EP Booster V1) -> XVive Undulator (tremolo, but never actually engaged and used exclusively for its great buffer) -> EHX Black Finger (tube driven optical compressor, with 2 preamp tubes operating at proper high 300V plate voltage, mainly used as a tube preamp stage, with some very subtle compression dialed in, driven to just on the edge of the breakup point) -> Zoom B1Xon (mainly used as reverb unit, including the {very subtle plate reverb -> subtle spring reverb} patch that is part of my basic "clean" tone) -> Boss LS-2 [Loop A + Loop B Mix] (effects loop switcher/mixer) ->{ [Loop A Send] -> Joyo Oxford Sound (clone of the Tech 21 Oxford pedal, which is an all analog emulation of an Orange type amp, dialed in to deliver a low gain overdrive, and mixed with the NUX MLD Bass Preamp from effects [Loop B]) ->|+|<- [Loop B Send] -> NUX Melvin Lee Davis Bass Preamp + DI (loaded with a digitally emulated Aguilar Tone Hammer amp, and an Ampeg SVT-212AV IR cab simulation, with a subtle low gain overdrive blended in at a 50/50 clean/drive ratio, and mixed with the Joyo Oxford Sound from effects [Loop A]) => [Loop A Return] + [Loop B Return] (mixed at an approximate 1:2 ratio) => [LS-2 Output]  }-> ART Tube MP Project Series (tube preamp and DI, technically not a pedal though) ->

Gives me a really great vibrant and clear, but at the same time full sounding, very lightly overdriven and mids heavy, tone, and I could totally live with just that...

• Though assuming my preferred "clean" tone was already being provided next on my desert island pedal wish list would be the pedals that makes up my high gain distortion setup, which then would be placed after the EHX Black Finger in the above listed signal chain, looking like this :

-> TC Electroni Sub'N'Up Mini (digital polyphonic octaver, exclusively used for a custom made 1 octave up Toneprint, always used stacked into the high gain distortion setup/signal chain in front of it) -> Boss LS-2 [Loop A + Loop B Mix] (effects loop switcher/mixer) ->{ [Loop A Send] -> Mosky Black Rat (RAT clone, in Turbo RAT mode, dialed in to deliver a high gain distortion, mixed with the {Joyo Orange Juice -> Boss MT-2 Metal Zone} from effects [Loop B]) ->|+|<- [Loop B Send] -> Joyo Orange Juice (Orange amp like overdrive, dialed in to deliver a low gain overdrive, either used alone, mixed with clean signal from effects [Loop A], or stacked into the Boss Metal Zone in front of it, and mixed with the Mosky Black RAT from effects [Loop A]) -> Boss MT-2 Metal Zone (dialed in to deliver a medium gain distortion, always with the Orange Juice behind it stacked into it, and always mixed with the Mosky Black RAT from effects [Loop A]) => [Loop A Return] + [Loop B Return] (mixed at an approximate 4:5 ratio) => [LS-2 Output]  }->

Which delivers a monstrous ballsy, raunchy, fuzz-esque, and massively heavy high gain distortion tone, which though still is surprisingly well defined and articulate. 

• Next on my wish list would then be my NUX Tape Core Deluxe pedal, which is a pretty amazing digital emulation of the legendary Roland RE-201 Space Echo tape delay, and which would be placed after the Zoom B1Xon in the top signal chain list above.

• And last on the list would then be following modulation list, placed after the the TC Electronic Sub'N'Up Mini in the second from top signal chain list above:

-> Boss LS-2 [Loop A + Loop B Mix] (effects loop switcher/mixer) ->{ [Loop A Send] -> Monarch MFL-22 Stereo Flanger (basically a rebranded version of the Arion SFL-1, sometimes stacked into the HoTone Trem in front of it, mixed with either clean signal, or sometimes the Behringer VP1 Vintage Phaser, from effects [Loop B]) -> HoTone Trem (tremolo, sometimes used with the Monarch Stereo Flanger behind it stacked into it, and always mixed with either clean signal, or sometimes the Behringer VP1 Vintage Phaser, from effects [Loop B]) ->|+|<- [Loop B Send] -> Behringer VP1 Vintage Phaser (clone of the original big box EHX Small Stone phaser, with color switch engaged for deep sweep and high resonance/feedback, always mixed with the Monarch MFL-22 Stereo Flanger from effects [Loop A]) => [Loop A Return] + [Loop B Return] (mixed at an approximate 50/50 ratio) => [LS-2 Output]  }->

Dying to hear what this sounds like. 

• Like 2

Tuner (for that 'in tune' effect), EHX Bass Clone chorus, Behringer Phase Shifter, Laney Digbeth pre-amp. This is the pedal line up I use for the Hulla Band, although I'm actually using a Plethora X3 for the chorus and phase because I also occasionally use flange and I have an always on compressor in the line.

• Like 1