Why become a member? ×

Section for PA and related?

Happy Jack

Question

Picking up on a comment by @Phil Starr it would seem sensible for a bass playing forum to have a section for PA and related equipment, equipment and operation.

At least half the bands I know have their bass player either supplying or operating the PA, so it seems to go with the territory.

Thoughts?

Edited by Happy Jack
  • Like 6

22 answers to this question

Yeah anything to do with PA is scattered over the site and difficult to follow and find as a result. It's certainly my experience that the bassists get lumbered with a lot of the technical stuff but we are all musicians and part of that involves at least some knowledge of how the PA works.

Actually we have no home for the practicalities of performing live, The section on Performance has a section called 'gigs' but it mainly duplicates the 'how was your gig last night section. Accessories has the wonderful thread on IEM's but a PA is a bit big to be considered an accessory :) There's actually nothing in Performance about actually performing, recording yes, technique and tabs yes but performing live no. maybe that is where the site designers meant to see discussion about the practicalities of performing but if so it could be more clearly labelled/flagged up.

C'mon lets add a sub-section about PA into the Performance section and maybe add a bit about PA into the reviews.

On 26/07/2023 at 13:50, Happy Jack said:

Picking up on a comment by @Phil Starr it would seem sensible for a bass playing forum to have a section for PA and related equipment, equipment and operation.

The criteria in my mind would be how much demand is there, how much value will it bring the membership as a whole and is there a risk it might make the site more cluttered?

1 minute ago, Kiwi said:

The criteria in my mind would be how much demand is there, how much value will it bring the membership as a whole and is there a risk it might make the site more cluttered?

Demand - I suspect really quite a lot. The PA for most bands seems to be run by (or at least involve) the bass player.

Value - see "Demand" (above).

Clutter - the site already has 34 topic groups (if I ignore Guitarchat at the bottom) and found room for Wotzit Werth. I can't imagine that one more will be enough to drag Basschat into the Abyss ...

• Like 2

Just now, Happy Jack said:

Demand - I suspect really quite a lot. The PA for most bands seems to be run by (or at least involve) the bass player.

Value - see "Demand" (above).

How about you set up a poll?  That way the level of interest might be more than just a suspicion.

6 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

How about you set up a poll?  That way the level of interest might be more than just a suspicion.

I'd love to do that, Steve, only it's not working.

Something went wrong. Check the values provided on the marked tabs and try again.

Naturally, NO tabs were "marked".

14 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

I'd love to do that, Steve, only it's not working.

Something went wrong. Check the values provided on the marked tabs and try again.

Naturally, NO tabs were "marked".

OK I'll take a look and see if I can repeat the same thing.