Why become a member? ×

Hello from South Wales

Rosie C

It seems it's traditional to post an introduction. I've played bass since school in the 1980s when a friend loaned me a bass and said if I could play it I could join his band. I played on and off, only really rock covers, never going past the fifth fret until a few years ago when a friend dragged me along to his community jazz band. That was a bit of a step up, I moved on to double bass, joined a bluegrass band, but found the double bass too hard on my hands. I bought a Fender acoustic bass but found it very quiet, but that got me into mandolins, and the string instrument I actually play most at the moment is mandocello, which I've lately been playing in a Morris side, and also at our local church. I'm at kind of a crossroads with bass playing at the moment, not in a Robert Johnson way, but in a sort of "been there, done that" sort of frame of mind. Maybe this group will give me some enthusiasm. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, AndyFereday said:

Ooh, hi! Which Morris side do you play for? I used to dance with White Rose (Huddersfield / Halifax) and then Rampant Rooster in Dorking.

It's the Widders Border Morris in Chepstow. I've only just joined - quite a new thing for me, but a lot of fun. So far I played recorder and mandocello with them, but I'll be taking my double bass along at some point. I love playing it but I'm getting a touch of arthritis in my hands lately and I find I know about it the day after playing double bass  :(

Ooh, I don't know Widders Morris. I have a couple of friends in Clerical Error and know a couple of people in Shrewsbury Morris. I can't imagine trucking around with a big double bass will be much fun at all! Although you might be able to press some of the younger members to carry it for you!

Lugging a double bass is rarely fun, and I can't change my car without taking it along to check the size. But I love the "theatre" an upright adds to a performance, and I love the 'thump' that they have. I just have a cheap unbranded one, but it sounds pretty good. 

gurky-1(1).thumb.jpeg.e64db6c20076e9082d4776a9da2e840d.jpeg

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, msb said:

Welcome Rosie. Uprights are a joy to play , and a misery to lug around. How are you amplifying yours ?

I have two uprights - one has an adjustable bridge with a Realist Lifeline. The other has a Realist Copperhead. I have a little pedal board with a GEB-7 to help impedance match. That runs into a Markbass Mini Marcus 250 amp with a GR Bass AT110 cabinet. 

I bought a Fishman Platinum to replace the EQ pedal but soon after I stopped regular gigging. So I've not had a chance to really use it properly but initial impressions are that its good.

• Like 1

I was using mine in blues bands , so I was up around snare drum levels , and up there uprights start to sound quite electric. Usually strung with Spirocores , I use a magnetic pickup that attaches to the fingerboard and a bridge peizo. They go to a preamp/mini mixer and then into an amp. Usually a little Bergantino. 
It’s much easier to just plug in an electric bass. And there are ways to emulate an upright feel with an electric. But some leaders want upright. 
Since the last pandemic closures and openings I’ve noticed I seem to be dragging the upright around less.

11 minutes ago, msb said:

I was using mine in blues bands , so I was up around snare drum levels , and up there uprights start to sound quite electric. Usually strung with Spirocores , I use a magnetic pickup that attaches to the fingerboard and a bridge peizo. They go to a preamp/mini mixer and then into an amp. Usually a little Bergantino. 
It’s much easier to just plug in an electric bass. And there are ways to emulate an upright feel with an electric. But some leaders want upright. 
Since the last pandemic closures and openings I’ve noticed I seem to be dragging the upright around less.

I usually play Innovation Rockabillies - easier on the hands and they have a nice deep tone. 

I can get an acceptable tone on bass guitar, but I get a lot of good audience response from upright so keep lugging it around!

• Like 2

On 31/07/2023 at 23:27, Rosie C said:

I usually play Innovation Rockabillies - easier on the hands and they have a nice deep tone. 

I can get an acceptable tone on bass guitar, but I get a lot of good audience response from upright so keep lugging it around!

Hello again Rosie,

Yes, I once had Innovation strings on a bass (silver slap, if I recall correctly) and they were easier on the hands than my current strings. There are times when I think I should go back down that route - but they're not always suitable, and I can't imagine taking two differently strung DB's to a gig! lol 

Upright does seem to get a favourable response from an audience, even when I'm playing it. What always surprises me though, is that I get even more comments, questions and general chat when I play my EUB. Comments like "it sounds amazing" - when I don't actually think it does. Of course, they never sound quite like an acoustic DB to me anyway. I suppose you could say if the audience is happy, then that's fine. EUB's are definitely easier to lug around - though they're not always necessarily lighter than an acoustic DB, they're certainly less bulky. I can sling mine over my shoulder, and carry something in each hand. Mind you, it's heavy on my ageing shoulders.

Hi again and welcome from another South Walian BC member :) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Marc S said:

"...Upright does seem to get a favourable response from an audience, even when I'm playing it. What always surprises me though, is that I get even more comments, questions and general chat when I play my EUB. Comments like "it sounds amazing" - when I don't actually think it does. Of course, they never sound quite like an acoustic DB to me anyway..."

I've said this on here before, but I find my NS Design NXT5 EUB doesn't sound much like an acoustic upright to me when I am standing next to it playing it, but if I hear a recording of it from the other side of the room, it does!

Like you, I often find my EUB is the talk of the gig, with audience members regularly coming up to me in the breaks to ask about it, more than they would with my standard upright.  I love not having to lug the "real" thing around (plus this has 5 strings rather than my 4 string acoustic) and love the fact I don't have to find some giant space to lie it down between songs.   

I have had a few bands moan over the years because it is too modern looking and doesn't fit the vintage vibe they are going for.  My wrecked back has always taken priority on that one though, so sticking with the EUB! 

Welcome to Rosie BTW!  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Marc S said:

EUB's are definitely easier to lug around - though they're not always necessarily lighter than an acoustic DB, they're certainly less bulky. I can sling mine over my shoulder, and carry something in each hand. Mind you, it's heavy on my ageing shoulders.

I did have one for a while, but I struggled to stop the strings - on my upright I rest the body against me and can pull the strings with my arm, but couldn't do that with a EUB. That said, I saw Hereford's Blackthorn Morris a few weeks ago and they have an EUB player and it looked awesome and definitely wasn't lacking in tone.

Edit: here's the one I used to have...

eub - 1.jpeg

Edited by Rosie C
  • Like 2

Welcome aboard!

Maybe a careful choice of fretless bass, strings and amplification could get you at least close to the sound you want without knackering your hands playing DB/EUB?Probably worth asking on the DB/EUB thread.

And if the Bass Bash Cymru in South Wales happens then definitely get along and meet people. 👍

21 hours ago, Richard R said:

Welcome aboard!

Maybe a careful choice of fretless bass, strings and amplification could get you at least close to the sound you want without knackering your hands playing DB/EUB?Probably worth asking on the DB/EUB thread.

And if the Bass Bash Cymru in South Wales happens then definitely get along and meet people. 👍

Thanks for the welcome! My everyday bass is a Squire jazz bass, with has a Fender fretless neck and chrome XLs and using just the neck pickup I get a reasonable sound from it. It doesn't have the "thump" of a double bass though  :(