Why become a member? ×

Sky Arts - Classic Albums Live

toneknob

This series has just kicked off on Sky Arts, with all six shows available to download if you're suitably equipped. It's pretty much as it says on the tin, a band performs a "classic" album in its entirety. The bands and albums are.

Stereophonics - Just Enough Education to Perform

Simple Minds - New Gold Dream

Gregory Porter - Liquid Spirit

ABC - The Lexicon of Love

Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive!

Dexys Midnight Runners - Too-Rye-Ay

Now I'm not sure how many of these count as classics, but I'll be watching maybe around half of them.

Of currently active bands - who would you like to see in series 2, and which album would they perform?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The Simple Minds one was amazing. I'm a huge huge Simple Minds fan and so, very critical of the line up changes and certainly not a fan of the current line up. I've certainly not warmed to Jed on bass and he's has certainly not had the impact that Derek Forbes, John Giblin or Malcolm Foster had on the band. Even to the point of being invisible and having no noticeable impact. However, Jed was absolutely incredible and an absolute monster on the bass for this show. His tone was amazing and even my wife was impressed. He nailed the bass lines and tone of this album perfectly which makes me wonder why he never did previously for these songs. One noticeable difference is he was using a Precision rather than his Stingray that he usually uses which I've never been a fan off. Cherisse Osei on the drums was also superb and a star on the show, what a character. My only criticism was the sound, the bass, drums and vocals was brilliant but Charlie's guitar was way too quiet.

Overall, an awesome show and I hope they release it on Blu-Ray.

• Like 1

Just now, Linus27 said:

The Simple Minds one was amazing.

This was top of my list as well. I've only caught the first two or three songs so far, but agree with your comments and I'm looking forward to the rest.

btw this just appeared on their facebook feed...

image.thumb.png.7e264635dcab9fc1084559d94737b8d7.png

17 minutes ago, toneknob said:

This was top of my list as well. I've only caught the first two or three songs so far, but agree with your comments and I'm looking forward to the rest.

btw this just appeared on their facebook feed...

image.thumb.png.7e264635dcab9fc1084559d94737b8d7.png

I think that is just advertising that it will be on the Sky Arts channel. At the moment, its only available On Demand.

10 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

I think that is just advertising that it will be on the Sky Arts channel. At the moment, its only available On Demand.

Ah ok, that's a shame if that's the case (folk responding to that are getting VERY excited btw - live album, NGD tour, DVD etc)

Just flicking through the list of albums I currently have in my music library, I been struck by how few that I’d regard as classic would be able to be performed by their respective artists as they’re either inactive or dead. Quite depressing really.

Sadly I don’t have Sky, so won’t be able to watch the Simple Minds episode which is a shame, as I really like them. Likewise ABC. I remember seeing Heaven 17 perform Penthouse & Pavement in its entirety. That was excellent. I wouldn’t mind seeing the Stereophonics episode, but the rest leave me a bit cold.

Desperately trying to think of an album/artist that would fit in here. Maybe Joe Jackson performing ‘I’m The Man’? Pretenders performing the first album? Supergrass performing ‘I Should Coco’? I’m sure I’ll think of more after I’ve hit Submit Reply.

• Like 3

Saw some of the ABC one. Love the album, enjoyed the interview sections, but felt the show was sorely lacking something (although couldn't put my finger on what). As for the rest, the only one that really warrants classic status IMHO is Frampton, and why choose a Dexy's album that isn't Searching for the Young Soul Rebels?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

I don't either.  It's on Freesat, Channel 147.  It's also on Freeview, Channel 11.

and probably on Now TV, which (I think) has a monthly rolling contract like Netflix etc. I'm sure someone who knows what I'm talking about will be along shortly to correct me on this

24 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

Saw some of the ABC one. Love the album, enjoyed the interview sections, but felt the show was sorely lacking something (although couldn't put my finger on what). As for the rest, the only one that really warrants classic status IMHO is Frampton, and why choose a Dexy's album that isn't Searching for the Young Soul Rebels?

Very much so. 'Searching' is a far better choice. There There My Dear was easily as good as Geno and both were better than Come On Eileen - IMHO.

Frampton's is a bit of an odd choice as it's a live album comprised of songs from other albums 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

IMO to get the best benefit of the experience of the whole album being played live, it need to be done by the people on the recording especially when they were an integral part of the song writing process. The two albums I would have been interested in have the ones by ABC and Simple Minds, neither of whom current sport the line ups that made the album in question.

Anyway now I've had chance to think and to answer my own question, here's my series two line-up

Peter Gabriel - Us

The Mars Volta - Amputecture (assuming Juan Alderete is back in action)

Tool - Lateralus (Holy Gift running order, Forty Six & 2 encore)

Magma - Ëmëhntëhtt-Ré (sing along everyone!)

Opeth - Heritage or Pale Communion

Phish - A Picture of Nectar or Billy Breathes

obviously most of those would struggle to fit into the 60-minute format, but I'm sure they'll work it out

3 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

IMO to get the best benefit of the experience of the whole album being played live, it need to be done by the people on the recording especially when they were an integral part of the song writing process. The two albums I would have been interested in have the ones by ABC and Simple Minds, neither of whom current sport the line ups that made the album in question.

I'm curious as to which ABC album is better than Lexicon. (and "The Best Of" doesn't count)

I think Simple Minds at least get a bye on account of currently touring most of the material shown in the Sky program. ABC have probably long been "Martin and session players".

There are several I'd love to see that will unfortunately never happen outside the realm of dreams -- Marillion with 'Clutching At Straws', It Bites 'Once Around The World', Queensrÿche 'Empire', etc.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, toneknob said:

I'm curious as to which ABC album is better than Lexicon. (and "The Best Of" doesn't count)

I think Simple Minds at least get a bye on account of currently touring most of the material shown in the Sky program. ABC have probably long been "Martin and session players".

I'm pretty certain that these days "ABC" is just Martin Fry and some session players, as last time I looked Stephen Singleton and Mark White had gone back to being their pre-ABC incarnation Vice-Versa who I always found much more interesting. IMO the things that make Lexicon Of Love great are mostly Anne Dudley, Trevor Horn and the other various SARM employees rather than the band themselves. I much prefer Beauty Stab.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I tend to agree and being super critical of Simple Minds recent line up, I was expecting to be sorely disappointed. However, in this case I really wasn't, however, they really do lack the magic and dominance of Mick McNeil on keyboards.

Just now, Linus27 said:

I tend to agree and being super critical of Simple Minds recent line up, I was expecting to be sorely disappointed. However, in this case I really wasn't, however, they really do lack the magic and dominance of Mick McNeil on keyboards.

And I know that New Gold Dream is the "popular" album, but I much prefer Sons And Fascination/Sister Feelings Call.

I think Raidohead's The Bends would be very interesting, on a personal note I would love to see Stiff Little Fingers do Now Then but I doubt that qualifies as a classic album as even SLF's loyal following can never quite agree on that album!

1 hour ago, Roger2611 said:

I think Raidohead's The Bends would be very interesting, on a personal note I would love to see Stiff Little Fingers do Now Then but I doubt that qualifies as a classic album as even SLF's loyal following can never quite agree on that album!

I’m with you Roger, Now Then is a great album.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

Saw some of the ABC one. Love the album, enjoyed the interview sections, but felt the show was sorely lacking something (although couldn't put my finger on what).

For me, it was the lack of bass guitar in the mix. I saw these at a local 80's festival last year, and the band were outstanding, and so was the bassist.

I was curious to see how good they'd be, and I thought they were really good 👌🏼

• Like 1

If Jan Akkerman got back with Focus, I'd like to see them doing Hamburger Concerto (a 25 minute excerpt can be found on Youtube).

Alice Cooper - Love it to death

Marillion - Brave

The Who - Who's Next

• Like 2