Why become a member? ×

Third Finger Left Hand....

Mickyk

Ah you're all  thinking, "Martha Reeves and the Vandellas" but it's not about the song or about getting married , its about my lazy  third Finger left Hand. Sounds like a newbie question ,maybe it is ,I've only been playing seven years. Anyway my problem is the aforesaid finger not doing as I want it to, and it never has since I've been playing, so as far as covering four frets is concerned with four fingers ,I find this impossible so I just shift over and use another finger. Now it's no biggie but as I'm advancing I think  as a Player  maybe I should go all out and try and train this finger to do what my Brain is trying to tell it to do because it just won't move. So to you Knowledgeable players out there...Does anyone have any suggestions to get this lazy finger working.?

(Starting this again, as I think my previous response sounded ambiguous and/or rude).

Is it the stretch that's causing the problem, or just being able to do 1-2-3-4? You could rule out the former by starting at the 12th fret, for example.

Can you do the opposable thumb thing, touching each finger in turn on to your thumb?

Edited by nige1968
brain engagement
  • Like 1

I rarely use the four fingers for four frets techniques but 3rd finger is probably the second most used one. I`d suggest doing exercises like across the fret-board starting at 1 & 3 on the E, work across the board then back, then go to 3 & 5 repeat the pattern, then 5 & 7 etc. You can then move on to fret 1 on E to fret 3 on A, 1 on D to 3 on G and repeat going up the board. This should build up strength, stretch and speed in the 3rd finger.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, nige1968 said:

(Starting this again, as I think my previous response sounded ambiguous and/or rude).

Is it the stretch that's causing the problem, or just being able to do 1-2-3-4? You could rule out the former by starting at the 12th fret, for example.

Can you do the opposable thumb thing, touching each finger in turn on to your thumb?

27 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I rarely use the four fingers for four frets techniques but 3rd finger is probably the second most used one. I`d suggest doing exercises like across the fret-board starting at 1 & 3 on the E, work across the board then back, then go to 3 & 5 repeat the pattern, then 5 & 7 etc. You can then move on to fret 1 on E to fret 3 on A, 1 on D to 3 on G and repeat going up the board. This should build up strength, stretch and speed in the 3rd finger.

Both replies taken on Board tanks for the reply, will give these a go .

You don't need a finger training aid. You already have one - the neck of your instrument. Just fret with each finger in turn repeatedly. No need to play or even have the bass plugged in. You can sit and do it whilst watching the TV. The tendon that moves the third finger is linked to the one that moves the second, so it has less independence of movement than the others and needs work to develop it.

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Like 5

25 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Get one of these https://amzn.to/3pYyJE4

81TYymxHffL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

7 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

+1 for the Varigrip, however you can get them a lot cheaper on eBay. 

I looked at getting one of these many years ago when I played classical guitar. My teacher said to just get a small foam ball.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5Vj2Kycn4IzC20cGBP

All suggestions above are great but as a simple exercise, just simply place your first finger on the G (3rd fret) on the E string, second finger on the G# (4th Fret), third finger on the A (5th fret) and the fourth finger on the A# (6th fret) and simply play then in sequence going up and down. Make sure you keep your hand flat across the face of the fretboard and the thumb in the center of the back of the neck. Practice this every day and move up and down the strings and if confident/comfortable then move up the fretboard. The more you practice this and get used to it, the more muscle memory you will have and the easier it will get.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

You don't need a finger training aid. You already have one - the neck of your instrument. Just fret with each finger in turn repeatedly. No need to play or even have the bass plugged in. You can sit and do it whilst watching the TV. The tendon that moves the third finger is linked to the one that moves the second, so it has less independence of movement than the others and needs work to develop it.

Best advice here, this is what I do just for exercise , I just go up and down the fretboard alternating as there’s lots of finger variations ,while watching tv sometimes with bass unplugged , I found it increases speed too , alternating finger picking at the same time 

• Like 1

Fun fact: there are no muscles in your fingers. Powered grip is supplied by the forearm muscles, while those in the hand govern precision grip. It may be that your problem is simply forearm strength, in which case the tool mentioned above may well help; alternatively it may also be a function of the size and shape of your hand, in which case you might need to modify your technique to compensate.

It's hard to move the third finger in isolation for anatomical reasons, so if you're struggling it may be because of the way your fingers align over the frets (especially the lower ones). In which case, if you try to force things you risk doing yourself a mischief. If this is the case, maybe continue to use the workaround you've already found, and experiment with the position of your thumb behind the neck to see what's most comfortable.

Without knowing more about the problem it's hard to give good advice -- can I suggest booking in with a tutor who can look at your instrument and your technique?

Edited by nige1968
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Mickyk I'm not sure if this is the same thing but here's a thread on finger / hand positioning ideas that might help - Thumb Position etc.

Some good advice in the previous comments about 1 finger per fret and taking it very slow. If the stretch at the lower G is a lot to start with move up to the C on the 8th fret. Your hand and fingers will be in amore relaxed position there. Once your comfortable doing that then you can start moving the excercise around the bass and increasing speed little by little. Good luck, hope this helps.

• Like 1

There are no short cuts to finger dexterity. Chromatic exercises, one finger per fret, will get you there, but you've got to do it and stick to doing it correctly. Keep your thumb in the middle of the neck, not hanging over the top.

E 1-2-3-4

A 1-2-3-4

D 1-2-3-4

G 1-2-3-4

D 1-2-3-4

A 1-2-3-4

Repeat, repeat, repeat

E 4-3-2-1

A 4-3-2-1

D 4-3-2-1

G 4-3-2-1

D 4-3-2-1

A 4-3-2-1

Repeat, repeat, repeat

E 1-3-2-4

A 4-2-3-1

D 1-3-2-4

G 4-2-3-1

etc etc etc

These are also great for getting your right hand fingering/plectrum strokes in shape. All downstrokes, no up, down, up, down, etc.

Also, if you find it hard to have one finger per fret, perhaps cast a glance at your left wrist. It should be fairly straight, not contorted into a right angle. Adjust your strap length as necessary so your wrist, hand and fingers are all quite straight when fretting. 

• Like 3