Why become a member? ×

Best fretting-hand thumb position to minimise injury risk

Paolo85

Hi all. So here is my situation: when I play the tip of my thumb is always exactly in the centre of the neck, looking at it vertically. Always. To get to the E string, I bend the wrist forward. Because of that my palm never touches the bottom of the neck. Ever. Before basschat I did not know sharp fret edges were a thing. But apparently they are for most people, so this got me thinking.

I have a feeling that somebody at some point in the distant past may have thought me this technique as a good thing. But I am not sure.

Thinking about it, it's quite a big twist I give to my wrist to get to the E. That may not be a good thing.

Tonight I have tried letting the thumb slide up toward the top of the neck to play the E, so my wrist angle changes less. But that feels awkward in different ways. Maybe just because it's new.

What do you think is the "healthiest" option?

Edited by Paolo85

40 minutes ago, Acebassmusic said:

I think pictures would help us in seeing what you are describing. Bass height and angle on the strap contribute significantly to how your hand interfaces with the neck. Scotts Bass Lessons does a couple of videos covering these areas which may give you ideas. 👍

Strap Height Video

Hand Position Video

Ha! Scott reccommends both that I don't bend my wrist and that I try to keep the tumb at the centre of the neck all the time. The problem is that I cannot do both. Not sure if it is a small hand thing or something. My strap is definitely not too low.

So, the first two pictures are what happens when I leave the thumb at the centre. 

The second set of pictures is me sliding the thumb up. Looks more natural in picture. Now, I think I remember I was thought not to do that because that reduces my reach on the neck. Chances are I was thaught that when I started on the guitar though.

It seems to me it is equally true on the bass in the sense that I feel much more "agile" with my palm not in contact with the neck [EDIT: not really the palm, the "proximal phalanges"]. Also I doubt I could play a 5-string P bass sliding the thumb up (not that I have one but you'll never know :D).

However, as I have experimented with sliding the thumb up tonight, it seems to me this reduces effort on the thumb. And I had plenty of issues there so, considering also that the wrist bends less, it is maybe the lesser of two evil?

20230705_001248.jpg

20230705_001344.jpg

20230705_001432.jpg

20230705_001455.jpg

Edited by Paolo85
  • Like 1

...add two picture to show that in picture 1, with the thumb at the centre, my fingers have plenty of space to move - at the expenses of my wrist. In picture 2, as the thumb slides up, there's certainly less space to move around. But it seems to reduce overall tension

20230705_003805.jpg

20230705_003814.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Paolo85 said:

Ha! Scott reccommends both that I don't bend my wrist and that I try to keep the tumb at the centre of the neck all the time. The problem is that I cannot do both.

IMO technique is all about suggestions. Try everything out. If you find something works then keep doing it, if it doesn't, do it differently.

Good technique gets you to the notes you want to play in the easiest and most effective way. It's not good technique if you are having to fight it or it makes you feel uncomfortable.

Always be open to adapting techniques to make them better for you.

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 1

Paolo, I've taken some photos and compared them to your pics to show how I hold my left hand. For the most part our positions are very similar, just a couple of subtle differences.

My first picture shows my arm & wrist is nearly straight with my palm facing upwards. My fingers are parallel with the frets (just like your photo). The difference I see is the positioning of my thumb on the back of the neck.

Slide1.thumb.JPG.ee310652a0fa990f1141ce13c5af3a10.JPG

In the picture below I've tried to copy your thumb position. We both hold the thumb approx in the centre of the neck but your thumb is flat against it. To get my thumb flat I had to rotate my wrist clockwise which then made my palm approx 45 deg to the bottom of the neck making it more difficult for me to fret notes.

By keeping my palm facing upwards, parallel to the bottom of the neck I find my thumb automatically moves to 45 deg and its more the edge of my thumb in contact. In the video I'm showing how I use my thumb to pivot and can move up and down the fretboard.

There are many different "correct techniques" on the web so mine may / may not be right for you but hopefully it helps a bit.

Slide2.thumb.JPG.5af962a5cfef8c8e765fec29f1e659a6.JPG

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Acebassmusic said:

Paolo, I've taken some photos and compared them to your pics to show how I hold my left hand. For the most part our positions are very similar, just a couple of subtle differences.

My first picture shows my arm & wrist is nearly straight with my palm facing upwards. My fingers are parallel with the frets (just like your photo). The difference I see is the positioning of my thumb on the back of the neck.

Slide1.thumb.JPG.ee310652a0fa990f1141ce13c5af3a10.JPG

In the picture below I've tried to copy your thumb position. We both hold the thumb approx in the centre of the neck but your thumb is flat against it. To get my thumb flat I had to rotate my wrist clockwise which then made my palm approx 45 deg to the bottom of the neck making it more difficult for me to fret notes.

By keeping my palm facing upwards, parallel to the bottom of the neck I find my thumb automatically moves to 45 deg and its more the edge of my thumb in contact. In the video I'm showing how I use my thumb to pivot and can move up and down the fretboard.

There are many different "correct techniques" on the web so mine may / may not be right for you but hopefully it helps a bit.

Slide2.thumb.JPG.5af962a5cfef8c8e765fec29f1e659a6.JPG

This is absolutely amazing thank you so much! Yes I think the thumb is the issue!

I never thought about it but when I fret, my thumb is not behind the index, as it would normally be in a relaxed grip. It is almost behind the ring finger. I think I may have been taught to do that - something along the lines that it gives equal strenght to all fingers. True or not, the price I pay for it may be quite high. Not just the fact that I end up bending the wrist, but also the fact that the thumb works at an unnatural angle. As I try your position, I feel a somewhat weaker grip with the ring and little fingers. But I feel much much less tension on my thumb. In comparison, in my position it feels like the thumb is working even when I am not fretting any note.

As it happens, my thumb is one of my weakest point, and pain there stopped me for playing for months at the time some 20 years ago, untill I gave up the bass. Had the had tjis conversation then..maybe... !!!!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Paolo85 said:

This is absolutely amazing thank you so much! Yes I think the thumb is the issue!

I never thought about it but when I fret, my thumb is not behind the index, as it would normally be in a relaxed grip. It is almost behind the ring finger. I think I may have been taught to do that - something along the lines that it gives equal strenght to all fingers. True or not, the price I pay for it may be quite high. Not just the fact that I end up bending the wrist, but also the fact that the thumb works at an unnatural angle. As I try your position, I feel a somewhat weaker grip with the ring and little fingers. But I feel much much less tension on my thumb. In comparison, in my position it feels like the thumb is working even when I am not fretting any note.

As it happens, my thumb is one of my weakest point, and pain there stopped me for playing for months at the time some 20 years ago, untill I gave up the bass. Had the had tjis conversation then..maybe... !!!!

Phew! Glad I could be of help. It will probably feel different for a while with the ring and little fingers but in reality not much grip strength is required to push the strings onto the fretboard even with a high action. 👍

• Like 1