Why become a member? ×

When Birmingham Was Still Great

Happy Jack

Just now, DawnPatroller said:

A rock institution, Edwards sadly burnt down after a fire started one Saturday night when it was packed full of people. I was there (no, it wasnt me). 

At the time it burnt down, my old mate Bricko owned it (aka Colin Wall). No, not an insurance job. Before that, the Edward it was named after was Eddie Fewtrell, one of the Fewtrell brothers, who sent the Krays packing when they tried to move up to Birmingham.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tauzero said:

At the time it burnt down, my old mate Bricko owned it (aka Colin Wall). No, not an insurance job. Before that, the Edward it was named after was Eddie Fewtrell, one of the Fewtrell brothers, who sent the Krays packing when they tried to move up to Birmingham.

Colin was a top bloke yeah.

It wasn't an insurance job as such because there's no way he'd have jeopardised everything he'd worked so so hard to build.

But everybody knew it was the last undeveloped building on that plot where city centre apartment living was being built for big money nonstop at the time.

Whoever set that firework off that started the fire, you have got to ask yourself if they'd done it with that agenda in mind. If it was just a coincidence, we will never know. 

I spoke to Colin on the phone the next day and he told me he'd stayed in the building as long as he could until the smoke was so overwhelming he risked his own safety. He said he was terrified someone had passed out drunk in a dark corner somewhere and had not been evacuated. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

A month earlier, the van the Fairports were travelling in had a major crash on the motorway, killing two, hence the Benefit Night. :|

Martin Lamble and Jeannie Franklyn. One a truly gifted drummer taken far too early and the other, the inspiration for Jack Bruce's "Songs for a Tailor"

• Thanks 1

On 20/07/2023 at 18:15, Leonard Smalls said:

It was a great place to play, and the first time I'd even been to Birmingham...

I had no idea that Colin Wall was running the gigs at Edwards. I remember doing gigs in 85/86 around Tamworth ( art centre? ) that he was putting on.

Two tour supports I did at Edwards were The Auteurs in '92 and These Animal Men in '94, the latter being a more memorable gig. That's two nineties genres that came and went : Britpop and New wave of new wave!

On 19/07/2023 at 17:48, drTStingray said:

You’ve just achieved teaching the Basschat massive who don’t live in Walsall how to pronounce Caldmore!! 🤣🤣

I believe Boy George lived in Walsall when he worked at Birmingham Oasis market, so who knows, Caldmore could have been the original inspiration for the song!

9 hours ago, The fasting showman said:

I had no idea that Colin Wall was running the gigs at Edwards. I remember doing gigs in 85/86 around Tamworth ( art centre? ) that he was putting on.

Two tour supports I did at Edwards were The Auteurs in '92 and These Animal Men in '94, the latter being a more memorable gig. That's two nineties genres that came and went : Britpop and New wave of new wave!

Tamworth Arts Centre was a good venue, but eventually got converted into a registry office. After having played a few gigs there from the early 80s on, the last time I was in there was marrying Mrs Zero in 2008.

You always knew Bricko was doing the disco when he closed with "We are the Ovalteenies".

• Like 1

On 16/07/2023 at 23:25, Hellzero said:

I ate something in Birmingham, but never knew what it was as I couldn't understand a single word of the waitress at the station.

Thought I landed in Russia. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Shoulda weshed it down with a cup a tay

• Haha 1

On 22/07/2023 at 06:56, The fasting showman said:

I believe Boy George lived in Walsall when he worked at Birmingham Oasis market, so who knows, Caldmore could have been the original inspiration for the song!

Boy George worked at Oasis Market???

• 1 month later...

My Birmingham era was mid 90's - 2000 and it was a great place for clubs during that time: 

• Q Club: Atomic Jam
  • Pulse: Sundissential
  • Branstons: Wobble
  • Bonds: Miss Moneypenny's
  • Bakers: Republica
  • Subway City: House of God
  • The Sanctuary: Godskitchen and Ultimate Orange (my claim to fame is I DJd at this in the main room)
  • And various decent things at the Steering Wheel, Medicine Bar, and not so decent things at the Dome. 

• Like 1