Why become a member? ×

I like P bass shapes... but I like J bass versatility... but I don't like F****r. I know what!

warwickhunt

I've hankered after a P bass body bass with JJ pups (think Willie Weeks) installed but I could never find one that had a downsized light weight body... till I got my Sandberg.  

image.thumb.png.2c4c0cc5f267fd43984d826221ada6a3.png

It did have a pickguard but I liked it off.

So I took the bass to a local(ish) guy; 'Paul Richardson Guitars' and got him to route the body and create a new pickguard that would cover the existing route.  I pick the bass up tomorrow but I was so excited when he put a pic up on FB that I had to share.  

image.png.74d7273d55d6994cf943e34364824203.png

image.png.611abbf06091c4ca8e8a8a0c72bb7167.png

The body was CNC routed and the pickguard done by hand.  The close ups of the guard show that he has cut it so precisely with amazing tolerances.  

I'll feed back tomorrow after I've collected it... and gigged it a couple hours later in the afternoon.  It has flats, do I go rounds?  :)  

• Like 25

I too hanker for a jazz pickup config but hate the jazz bass shape. I have a battered PJ Squier that I intend 'tweaking' to fit a Jazz pickup in the 70's position, lines up quite nicely with the existing P route....with a bit of chisel work...... A custom pickguard and Bobs yer auntie!!!, Oh and I'll probably rattlecan the body to a different colour too....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, neepheid said:

Was the G&L Tribute JB-2 ever on the radar?  P body, JJ pickups, not a Fender...

image.thumb.png.75f31be6d3e4f6ce061e42bb379190b7.png

Seriously underrated basses these... replace the pups and tuners and you have a bass that can take on anything over £1k. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Sandberg do this configuration but it in only comes in one colour and an ebony board. The Martin Mendez model. 

I did look at that but they are like hen's teeth used (and expensive new) + the white/black was too limiting but the biggest decision maker was that I got to choose where to put the pups.  :)

• Like 1