Why become a member? ×

NBD: 1970 Jazz Bass

BassAgent

I wasn't planning on buying another bass any time soon, just got a CS Jazz with which I'm very satisfied but when this showed up... I've always wanted a late 60's/early 70's Jazz, with the TV logo, block inlay but with 60's bridge pickup spacing. I drove 3 hours, picked it up, took it apart (and put it back together) and took it home. It's a 1970 Jazz with replacement pots, bridge and case. It's also a refret and refin. But it's a lovely refin, the frets are good, the sound is thunderous and the neck is to die for. So, the 50th bass I've ever owned (yes, I keep a list) is my third vintage Fender. The colour is very hard to catch. It looks Lake Placid Blue, but it's more aged Ocean Turquoise.

gWzfx4F.jpg

tiorb4F.jpg

riwknKG.jpg

wKAHrq0.jpg

BDEXaaA.jpg

1966 vs 1970:

CZnjnAT.jpg

1966 vs 1971 vs 1970:

d4UG2Gf.jpg

Edited by BassAgent
  • Like 28

Well, that turned out to be a little bit of a disappointment: I just took the bass to my regular repair guy to have the grounding issue fixed; he looked over the bass and found a few minor issues (the bridge sucks, I already knew that, the strings are two separate sets, I knew that, the neck needs a shim, didn't know that but no biggie) and one major one: the frets need replacement. There is, as he put it, "air under the frets". I've contacted the seller about this but he's not willing to compensate me in any way. 
I already paid quite a high price for this bass but now I know this I'm actually pretty bummed out.

I wouldn't worry if you like the sound and it plays well, as long as the frets aren't moving. You could have it addressed when it needs a refret in the future. I expect many basses from that period have frets which might not be seated perfectly but are undetected to this day because it probably doesn't matter unless one falls out!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BassAgent said:

Well, that turned out to be a little bit of a disappointment: I just took the bass to my regular repair guy to have the grounding issue fixed; he looked over the bass and found a few minor issues (the bridge sucks, I already knew that, the strings are two separate sets, I knew that, the neck needs a shim, didn't know that but no biggie) and one major one: the frets need replacement. There is, as he put it, "air under the frets". I've contacted the seller about this but he's not willing to compensate me in any way. 
I already paid quite a high price for this bass but now I know this I'm actually pretty bummed out.

If it plays nicely and have no fret buzz at the kind of string action you prefer some frets not being properly seated is not a major issue, in fact I'd call it a rather minor issue.

And I would personally expect to install a new set of strings on any new bass bought, regardless of price tag or whether it being band new or used, to get the brand, type and gauge to my personal preferred liking.

Also why exactly does the bridge suck?

On a different note judging from the string alignment on those pictures, them being slightly shifted towards the higher strings, it looks like the neck could do with being reset in the pocket.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

Oh yeah totally agreed, a new set of strings is standard, on any bass (except brand new). The bridge sucks because it has the wrong screws and tie saddles are not tightly secured enough (they're movable). My repair guy already straightened out the neck so the alignment issue is gone :) I might still install a threaded saddle bridge to make the alignment even better, though.

On 10/07/2023 at 18:57, BassAgent said:

I wasn't planning on buying another bass any time soon, just got a CS Jazz with which I'm very satisfied but when this showed up... I've always wanted a late 60's/early 70's Jazz, with the TV logo, block inlay but with 60's bridge pickup spacing. I drove 3 hours, picked it up, took it apart (and put it back together) and took it home. It's a 1970 Jazz with replacement pots, bridge and case. It's also a refret and refin. But it's a lovely refin, the frets are good, the sound is thunderous and the neck is to die for. So, the 50th bass I've ever owned (yes, I keep a list) is my third vintage Fender. The colour is very hard to catch. It looks Lake Placid Blue, but it's more aged Ocean Turquoise.

gWzfx4F.jpg

tiorb4F.jpg

riwknKG.jpg

wKAHrq0.jpg

BDEXaaA.jpg

1966 vs 1970:

CZnjnAT.jpg

1966 vs 1971 vs 1970:

d4UG2Gf.jpg

Is that an A-width nut on the Precision?

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful bass - this refin looks great! I'd say if it sounds good and is structurally sound, don't worry too much about the rest. Some upkeep/maintenance comes with the territory when we play vintage instruments :)

• 2 weeks later...

You scored a 1970 with the 60's pickup spacing. That's pretty cool.

As far as "air under the frets" go, they can always be clamped with thin superglue drizzled in. But you mentioned your guy recommends replacing the frets - are they too low to dress? If there's still enough height on the frets don't sweat it, get em glued down and then dressed and roll away. Don't be bummed out - though I know it's hard to take when sellers "forget" to tell you stuff about a bass they're trying to offload, you n me aren't the only ones that's happened to...

And the shim - again, shims were dropped into many neck pockets to assist with setup before they went out the door, and as the years went by, and people pulled their instruments apart they often saw the shim and said "what's this?" and either binned it or forgot to put it back in. Factory shims going missing were so often the reason many half-baked "luthiers" decided to pull frets out and shave the fretboard down to "correct" a perceived bowing issue with a neck. Thus ruining a good neck for no good reason.

Your bass looks great, killer combo of LPB/OT and a tort guard without the garish matching headstock. FIx the minor issues and enjoy it. Late 60's/early 70's jazz basses are just as cool sounding as the massively priced pre-CBS models, but going on your pics of the three vintage examples you already well and truly know that.66JAug2023.thumb.jpg.8937f8f3d6a241bf31189fd1881a85bf.jpg

• Like 1