Why become a member? ×

July Composition Challenge

lurksalot

Congrats to @AndyTravis on last month's success.

We start the second half of the year with a reminder of some of the weather that broke after the lovely June sunshine.

"Taken a good few years ago, walking home from the pub in a storm.     Lightning and Street Lighting…"

image.png.8720aeba99d29d57ef81248b08d4cbf0.png

Simple rules 

✔️ Entries must be <5 minutes and recorded between now and the deadline.

✖️ No illegal samples, copyright infringements or other snide goings-on

✖️ Bagpipes. please no bagpipes, there wasn't a truce worth noting this month, and if there was, we probably missed it!

✖️ No voting for your own entry. We'll know. And we'll shame you..

Deadline wise , we will go for midnight on the 24th which means you'll probably have till tea-time on the 25th 

A line or two of blurb as well for the vote thread will be lovely. 

Have fun 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Can't use it because I wrote it back in 1994, but my song Dream of the Walking Dead instantly came to mind for this one.

"It's a stormy night, crackle of light.

Ghosts walk, spirits talk.

Whispers of battles in days of old,

Under an ancient sun long turned cold."

Love the photo - I have a horribly busy July coming up but will try to come up with something new.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wolfram said:

Is it just me or have all the Soundcloud embeds for the past challenge and voting threads disappeared?!

Not only, but also...

The previous months are no longer there, either..! Spooky..! :/

My individual tracks are still there in Soundcloud, but there are no longer any Soundcloud files embedded in the Challenge topics. Unexpected result of a recent Forum update, maybe..? Any Admin thoughts..?

Edited by Dad3353

I'll embed a new one here, just as a test...

https://soundcloud.com/dad3353/kill-bass-9?si=77b9713301fb43d3915e3b7951f694f6&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

... and I get this message...

'The link could not be embedded because soundcloud.com does not allow embedding of that video.'

Some mighty oddness is afoot...  :/

Here is my contribution to the July 2023 Basschat Composition Challenge, illustrated with a picture chosen by AndyTravis.
A stroke of luck, a lucky strike...
One-take guitar track using my newly-acquired s/h Blackstar ID:Core 10 again. Guitar is my trusty black sparkle Xavière again, too. Bass is my Hofner Verithin into my Sonuus MIDI converter, to drive a simple bass Vst (4Front Bass Module...). Drums..? Played 'live' with my Millenium 850 MIDI e-drums into Superior Drummer 3. A fair bit of MIDI editing to tidy it all up, then the usual Cockos EQ and NY Bus compression (and some light Fx for the drums...).
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy.

• Like 6

In my ongoing series of Songs From The Shows, here's my version of Rogers and Hammerstein's classic from South Pacific, "Happy Talk", as done by Captain Sensible. The lightning dictated the use of a vocoder and hence, the slight title change...

Fun was had with vocoder plug-ins and getting funky bits out of a battered Strat. Bass is the trusty Wal, keys are through Iris, drums programmed from Digicussion sounds. All has been liberally smeared with Ozone 9...

• Like 6

My contribution to the July 2023 Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by the picture chosen by last months winner, AndyTravis.

A tune about racing the weather home... probably from the pub.

Tech stuff... Recorded in Cubase Elephants 12, Monster Drums, the Jake 5 through a Zoom B6, a Westbury Standard and a Vintage Strat (the brand,) treated with the bundled effects. A bit of organ from Halion Sonic, mixed way back, and some storm noises from Looperman. Vocals are my usual half arsed attempt, multitracked through an SM58 and treated with CLA Vocals.

Edited by NickD
  • Like 5

I'm in with lots of noise based on the photo from Andytravis.

A bolt from the Black , I'll never get it back, did I ever have it, yakkety yak . 

EZ drummer and  VGiron do the heavy lifting here , with lead guitar using Ibby 6er through Waves Gtr3 FX and my little 'Fleabass' stomping its way along the low end (warts 'n' all) .

All in Reaper

I tried using the Melda dynamicEQ from the free download but got lost in it., the 'tutorials' I found didn't really help me make any noticeable difference to the sound on mine , so it's probably just me :)

• Like 5

I'm in.  The hats is an Apple loop that I manipulated a little & the final boom is a sample.  Everything else played by hand on the Jupiter X.
Just need to get a mic so I can make use of the vocoder!   That'll be next month's entry.  😎

• Like 5

I'm in like Flynn.

Yet another drunken evening. It helps him to pass the time here. He's waiting for something, but what? He explores the skies every night but, so far, nothing. When will they come back for him? He waits and waits. It's all he can do...

Used Three Looperman drum samples, Yamaha YPT-240 keyboard, Westfield violin bass and a homemade baritone guitar built using an old printers tray as the body. Wobbly sounds come from a hint of tremolo off of a Roland Micro Cube amp and some delay from a Vivlex pedal. Recorded with the dependable duo of Wavepad and Audacity.

• Like 4

I couldn't shake off the feckin Street Lightning idea so tried to make it work. Conspiracy theorists wearing tinfoil hats and attracting sky-based electrocution was the best I could do. Yeah, I know. There's always next month.

The technical stuff: Yamaha drums heard by thomann mics and behringer preamps, as always. Bass is L2k, guitars are a Gretsch 12 string and an Ibanez RG. Some of it has wah, fuzz, univibe, delay and probably more fuzz and more delay for extra zap using a real Fryette amp DI'd into a Palmer speaker simulator. Organ is a free Avid thing. All smooshed together in protools.

• Like 4

Once again, I just made it in time.

I thought I'd get back to bass-ics with this one. I present a haunting solo bass improvisation to conjure up a surreal, distant thunderstorm on a long, dark night.

The tech stuff: The bass is my Ibanez EHB1506MS, recorded into Cubase through my Line6 Helix. No other instruments, just effects from the Helix (Native), Eventide's Shimmerverb and Exponential's R4 reverb.

• Like 5