Why become a member? ×

Fender musicmaster Scam?

Fenders got sold and taken everywhere,  I'd be astonished if there aren't any in Addis Ababa. The pictures show that somebody understands the need to show the parts that make the guitar up. Whether they are the same person as the seller is a different point.

I did a reverse lookup on Google images of the picture showing the end of the Fender neck and didn't find a match, also did the headstock wth the serial number and couldn;t find a match. I could be doing something wrong though I did find a lot of similar but different images.

£700 + £100 delivery is cheap though, but not quite supidly cheap. Almost tempted to take a punt as he says he takes PayPal. I'm sure there will be a reason why PayPal will refuse to pay when a pile of broken firewood turns up though.

The lack of decent feedback with three transactions is probably the biggest red flag. eBay doesn;t give any information on what was transacted so could be a 1p digital download (well known scam to get your feedback up), or a £250,000 Porsche GT3

Somebody might think it worth a gamble, I'll pass.

Rob

The Fender serial number lookup doesn't recognise that one with the S prefix. Without the S prefix, it says "BULLET REVERB 120V 3/PK" made in 2000.

Edited by tauzero
unprefixed check
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Early 70s Musicmasters have cute little tulip-shaped tuners, the pickguard is a different shape at the end of the neck and the logo decal is toally different. Also a '72 wouldn't be black with a black pickguard.

The serial starts S8 which suggests it was made between 1978 - 1981

The sticker in the pickup cavity shows 1979

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/06/2023 at 21:28, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Early 70s Musicmasters have cute little tulip-shaped tuners, the pickguard is a different shape at the end of the neck and the logo decal is toally different. Also a '72 wouldn't be black with a black pickguard.

The serial starts S8 which suggests it was made between 1978 - 1981

I thought all the first Musicmasters (with the tulip tuners) had a black pickguard. So what colour did the black one come with? 

25 minutes ago, NHM said:

I thought all the first Musicmasters (with the tulip tuners) had a black pickguard. So what colour did the black one come with? 

They had white scratchplates the later ones had black. My first bass was a Musicmaster cream with a black plate. I still own the manual but sadly swapped the bass for an Aria full scale job when I was 17.

My Musicmaster had a distinctive darker rectangle on the upper side of the body above the bridge. A sticker had been placed on there and it had faded in the shop window - Kingfisher Music. We got it for £85! 
I would love to get it back!

37 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

In 1972 the only colours available for musicmaster basses were white, blue or red. There were no black ones.

Interesting, I’ve never seen a blue one.

I’m planning on getting a Musicmaster later this year and hoping for an earlier one, though the later “white” ones with the black pg and proper tuners do look a lot nicer.

1 minute ago, Burns-bass said:

These basses are so so so bad. They're the cheapest basses Fender produced at the worst time for production. Whether it's in Africa or next door, it's junk.

Don't agree with that. My '71 is a lovely instrument, superb neck, just needed a better pickup.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NHM said:

Don't agree with that. My '71 is a lovely instrument, superb neck, just needed a better pickup.

Agreed. This is from 1978. I’ve had one of these and seen more. They’re so agricultural. The finish is abysmal (thick and dull poly).

20 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

Agreed. This is from 1978. I’ve had one of these and seen more. They’re so agricultural. The finish is abysmal (thick and dull poly).

I had a 78. One of my first basses and my first Fender. I loved it. I felt like I was going up in the world, I had a Fender!! I loved mine

• Like 2