Why become a member? ×

Big problem with Thomann returns

ReeV0

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced what I am going through.

I purchased a Harley Benton Block 800B from Thomann (£289 - had to try it). And whilst it was great, I ultimately decided to return it becuase it had a very high noise floor. I have returned a couple of other things to Thomann in the past without issue, however, this time there is a big issue...

The returned amp was packaged up exactly as it was shipped out to me, i.e. the Harley Benton amp was in its own box, which then went inside a much larger Thomann box. Inside this larger box was also a UK IEC mains lead, which I returned along with the amp.

A week or so after dropping the parcel off using Thomann's prepaid shipping label, I noticed on my Thomann account that the IEC mains lead had been 'received', but the amp return was still showing as 'requested'. I just assumed it was a technical glitch and waited a few more days to be refunded.

Well, nearly a month has gone by so I contacted Thomann asking why they have acknowledged receipt of the mains lead but not the amp, seeing as they were both in the same box. The replies I got have been pretty astonishing:

Hi Hedvika,

Just checking, did you receive back my return yet?

I am a bit confused because the website says you have received the powercord, but not the amplifier (the powercord and amplifier were in the same box).

Would it be possible to check?

Thank you for your email.
I have checked this and the amplifier does not appear as received yet.
Did you post both items in the same parcel?
With this information, we will be able to check this further.

Hi Hedvika,
Yes they were both posted in the same parcel, exactly as they were shipped. The tracking number is JJD1490555502033********

Good morning,
Thank you for your patience.
After thoroughly examining your case with our logistic center, we came to the conclusion that:
The Harley Benton Block-800B was not in the parcel, therefore this can not be refunded.
We remain available in case of any further questions.

Hi Rudolf,

Sorry, that is completely unacceptable. I posted the amplifier and cable back EXACTLY as they were delivered to me.

The Harley Benton was in it's own packaging, which was then inside a much larger Thomann box. The cable was in this larger box (exactly as it came to me).

I do not know what happened in your warehouse, or whether they did not register the return of the amplifier. But they were both shipped back exactly as they were sent (two boxes, one inside another with the cable in the outer box.

I have attached the proof of postage. Please check with the logistics center again, things cannot just go missing. The fact that they have accepted receipt of the cable but not the amplifier is ridiculous, when they were in the same packaging.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do? I wonder if they can contact the shipping courier as it would have been weighed at customs (probably around 3kg - much heavier than just a power chord). Although when I look at the tracking, it says it is 1kg and 1cm, so I don't think it has been recorded correctly... This is a big shame as I will no longer be able to purchase anything from Thomann ever again. Luckily it was a £300 amp and not a £1000 amp...

• Sad 1

Hmmmm....if somebody had stolen the amp, they would have run off with the box as well. They wouldn't steal the amp, reseal the package and place it back where it came from, ensuring the courier wouldn't notice it had been tampered with, so that could be delivered to Thomann.

I think it's been a human error at Thomann. I'm sure they get many, many returns every day that need to be processed and mistakes will inevitably happen.

Edited by gjones
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, gjones said:

Hmmmm....if somebody had stolen the amp, they would have run off with the box as well. They wouldn't steal the amp, reseal the package and place it back where it came from, ensuring the courier wouldn't notice it had been tampered with, so that could be delivered to Thomann.

I think it's been a human error at Thomann. I'm sure they get many, many returns every day that need to be processed and mistakes will inevitably happen.

They would......it adds a further few days to the process and confuses the issue because the tracking will indicate that the courier has completed the delivery back to Thomann. If the box went missing the process would show exactly at which stage of the delivery it went missing. 

34 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

If you paid with PayPal I'd start a claim for your money back irrespective... 

Good point, I did use Paypal and didn't think of this. I'll give Thomann another chance to respond first. Hopefully it's just a mistake on their end.

9 hours ago, ReeV0 said:

Good point, I did use Paypal and didn't think of this. I'll give Thomann another chance to respond first. Hopefully it's just a mistake on their end.

Honestly I'd just start a claim in PP now to get your dosh back ASAP, it might prod thomann too when they get the PP notification that you're taking action. 

To the best of my knowledge there's no way you won't get your money back as you've done your bit. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, ReeV0 said:

Start the claim with PayPal straight away, don’t wait for Thomann, it’s business, and no time to be polite.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, jezzaboy said:

Just a wee tip if you are sending gear back. I always take plenty of photo`s of the product, then of it back in the box and the box itself. Might not do any good if an issue comes up but it might help.

They in fact asked for pics of the box etc etc, which I sent them in email.. I'll likely get an email back tomorrow with details from them, basically just need it collected by, presumably, the same DHL mob who delivered it. 

I'd think it very unlucky to have the same issue as the OP, but you just don't know, maybe it's a stunt they pull regularly.. :(

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Any joy with this? 

I ask as I've got something to go back to them now, hopefully they won't claim to "lose" it but who knows, I'm still waiting for info about how their courier is supposed to collect it. 

Not sure, these were the last emails before I opened a PP claim..

Good morning,
Thank you for your email.
We have checked this case with our logistic center, and this was not returned.
Unfortunately, if you have sent this inside the parcel: JJD1490555502****** this was not even sent with the correct label and associated customs documents for this return.
The product was supposed to be sent with another parcel: JJD149055550*******
At this point, we are sure this did not reach us.
Kindly, check again if this is still in your possession, and so we are able to provide you with a new return label.

Rudolf,

I have already said that the product was returned with tracking number: JJD14905555020*******. I even uploaded the receipt. 

JJD1490555502******* was for a different return - 56340R1 (which was completed).

You already stated that the power chord has reached you, therefore the amp must have also reached you. I used the label and associated customs documents that you sent to me, which I have attached to this email.

At this stage I feel that I have done everything I can do. You are accusing me of shipping back an empty box... Why would I do this? I would not expect to be refunded by shipping you an empty box. Please check with the courier, they must have weighed the package at some point customs. It would have more than the weight of a power chord... There has obviously been a mix up somewhere.

And then a little while after, I received this... I haven't responded.

Good morning,
Thank you for the clarification.
We can see that your parcel containing the Harley Benton Block-800B was dropped off on the ** May 2023 and reached our logistics partner in the UK on the ** May 2023. It is now undergoing customs clearance.
Please note that return parcels can take up to 20 business days to reach us.
However, please be assured that we are keeping a close eye on this return for you. Should the parcel not reach us in a timely manner, we will of course be able to provide you with alternate solutions.
As soon as we have received your parcel here at Thomann, you will receive a confirmation email and the refund will be processed immediately.
We thank you for your patience and understanding in the matter.
Should you have any further questions in the meantime, please feel free to contact us in answer to this email.

Edited by ReeV0
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

God don’t get me started on Thomann and their returns.

I couldn’t even get anyone to take my parcel off me in the first instance and I tried lots of those DHL drop off sites (all corner shops) no one wanted a bass in their shop store room and refused to take it… One shop mentioned the DHL man hadn’t been for 2 months… she showed me her stock room and it was just floor to ceiling of un collected returns parcels.

In the end after threatening Thomann with legal action (I was really at the end of my tether) they got the DHL man to come to me to get the parcel from my home address and it went direct to them and within a couple of days I had my refund, but it took months and I won’t buy from them again as the returns are a bloody nightmare and the customer service team couldn’t care less. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

18 minutes ago, spacecowboy said:

I couldn’t even get anyone to take my parcel off me in the first instance and I tried lots of those DHL drop off sites (all corner shops) no one wanted a bass in their shop store room and refused to take it… One shop mentioned the DHL man hadn’t been for 2 months… she showed me her stock room and it was just floor to ceiling of un collected returns parcels.

In the end after threatening Thomann with legal action (I was really at the end of my tether) they got the DHL man to come to me to get the parcel from my home address and it went direct to them and within a couple of days I had my refund, but it took months and I won’t buy from them again as the returns are a bloody nightmare and the customer service team couldn’t care less. 

Interesting, I've been assuming they'd just get their DHL bloke to pick it up again, I'll see how it pans out, I've always got the hit them for a big part refund and keep it option as a fall back, if it's looking too iffy returning.. 

31 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Interesting, I've been assuming they'd just get their DHL bloke to pick it up again, I'll see how it pans out, I've always got the hit them for a big part refund and keep it option as a fall back, if it's looking too iffy returning.. 

It would be great if they do get a DHL man to come and get it, have they told you yet? Firstly they try and palm you off with a DHL drop off service where you need to take the parcel to a shop where “it will be picked up” ?

Great if that’s not the case though! As it was hell. 

22 minutes ago, spacecowboy said:

It would be great if they do get a DHL man to come and get it, have they told you yet? Firstly they try and palm you off with a DHL drop off service where you need to take the parcel to a shop where “it will be picked up” ?

Great if that’s not the case though! As it was hell. 

Good to have your Intel on that 👍  I know what to expect in advance!  Let's see what they come back to me with... 

Hmm....I'm contemplating a purchase from them in the next couple of months (it's £2k, so I'm still saving), but this fills me with doubt.

When I returned a bass drum pedal years ago, it was collected at my door, and refunded within a week.

Obviously financial cuts on the courier side.

5 minutes ago, 2pods said:

Hmm....I'm contemplating a purchase from them in the next couple of months (it's £2k, so I'm still saving), but this fills me with doubt.

When I returned a bass drum pedal years ago, it was collected at my door, and refunded within a week.

Obviously financial cuts on the courier side.

Depends obviously how many years - before some nameless large political event in the middle of the last decade things didn't need to clear customs, so it was a lot easier and smoother.

• Like 1

I have a cab en route to me from Thomann as I read this. I hope I like it as this makes for quite depressing reading. Hopefully the fact that it is covered by Paypal will mean a sensible outcome. Clearly the problem is with mis-recording the return and he's just reading off a computer screen. I had a similar thing recently over an amp with a footpedal that was included but not sent. I wound up having several phone calls and it was only when I lost my rag and started a "common sense would suggest" rant that somebody from the shop actually bothered  to walk over to where the amp was and discovered the (drum roll please)... foot pedal that should have been sent with it. Good luck sorting it out. 

• Like 1

Well just to contribute an update, I had an email which to my surprise said something to the effect of..

"confirm which day you'd like collection, and confirm coll. address, email and mobile no." 

So on the face of it they seem to be intending to collect it without argument. 

Obviously as a confirmed cynic I'll believe it when it's gone and I've got the dosh back in PP.  We'll see. 

• Like 1

On 27/06/2023 at 19:44, spacecowboy said:

I had this exact issue. Drove me nuts and put me off ever buying anything of any size from them again. 

Edited by gafbass02
  • Like 2

Well... received an email this morning...

Dear customer,

we received back your return and it will be processed as soon as possible.

RMA52087R1: 1x Harley Benton Block-800B

We are happy to help you with any further queries.

Best regards

I literally have no idea what happened but looks like I'll finally be getting the refund 😄

Edited by ReeV0
  • Like 8