Why become a member? ×

Unlined five or four

lownote

Next week I am playing a new-to-me blues jam.  I have two basses and I don't know which to take. My one bass is a cheapo Harley Benton active unlined 5 string fretless. It's new to me and I'd like to get the practice in.  My other bass is a cheap 4 string unlined fretless P bass clone.  I can play them about as well as each other, which is OK but not astonishing. My concern is if I take the fiver the crowd will be, like "OK daddio, now prove you can REALLY play that thing - or we shall deem you a posey pink torpedo." They may be a bit like that with the fretless 4 too, but perhaps less so. I suppose my position should be that I don't actually care what people think.  But as a newbie at a new jam I hope to go to more often, I actually do care.  And, no I don't have a fretted bass, which would be an obvious very safe alternative.    

Edited by lownote

1 minute ago, lownote said:

I suppose my position should be that I don't actually care what people think.

Would you just say "feck it, I'm going to do what I want and get some practice in on the 5 string"

Correct and Yes 😁 You'll be lucky if anyone realises you're playing bass never mind its a fiver 🤣 Have fun 👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Really?

I took a very cheap 5 string Cort to a jam last night and no one commented, not the band leader, house drummer or any of the bass players. I'd have been more surprised if anyone did notice.

Take the bass you want to play.

I did a gig once and a bass player in the audience came up to me and asked why I used 2 basses, since they were both Precisions. They were both Fender JAZZ basses, one was a lined fretless and the other a fretted. He said he couldn’t tell the difference, so I said I’m not sure if that’s a compliment or not!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• lownote changed the title to Least embarassing option
  • lownote changed the title to Unlined five or four