Why become a member? ×

PBass and JBass band tone differences

BassAdder60

If you read about the differences in tone you get from a PBass compared to a JBass some folk have strong opinions on which is better suited, in my case playing rock in the band. 
Having mostly played a PBass fingerstyle I did find at times a lack of note definition or clarity. 
This lead me to try a Jazz bass …

The results were interesting… on quieter songs / clean guitar tone ( from guitarist ) I found the Jazz with everything on full sounded really nice, deeper lows and a nice zing to the notes.

For other heavier rock songs .. think AC/DC, Maiden, Zeppelin , Judas Priest etc I played the Jazz bass with neck pup on full and bridge about 60% on, tone on full. Again a different sound to my PBass that set well with the drums and had better clarity. 
I think it’s an improvement and I may of just become a Jazz bass convert !! 

My rig is my Tone Hammer 700 and Ampeg cabs and in front I run my Boss LMB3 to the GEB7 and then TC SparkBooster into amp input 

The Boss LMB3 is working well keeping level’s consistent and the Boss GEB7 is set with a slight dip in 50hz to remove boom, and a slight boost on 500hz 

The SparkBooster is left with gain off and level slightly above unity volume to give the input a very slight boosted input. All in all they work well together 

I did get my leg pulled by my band buddies regarding the name on the headstock “ Jazz” in a rock band !!

But it worked well for JPJ 

Edited by BassAdder60
  • Like 1

For me the P bass is the archetypal sound of the bass. The J and Stingray is probably better suited to situations where the bass needs to stand out("cut through") such as in slap based songs or in fusion, whereas the P is probably better suited where the bass is the supporting role. In most rock I would definitely pick the P.

• Like 1

For years and years I did not like Fenders. In the last year I have bought A MIA Jazz. A bitza jazz bought on here (shown in the build diaries)

A 50 anniversary Squire P bass. A Honer LX 90 B (I was given) turned into a fretless P bass (also in the build diaries). A Very nice Bass collection powerbass I bought on here in the last two weeks. As well as other stuff.

I have over 20 basses (lost count again)

Recently I find myself unable to pick up a bass without going for a P 🤣

Edited by Ralf1e

7 hours ago, TheLowDown said:

For me the P bass is the archetypal sound of the bass. The J and Stingray is probably better suited to situations where the bass needs to stand out("cut through") such as in slap based songs or in fusion, whereas the P is probably better suited where the bass is the supporting role. In most rock I would definitely pick the P.

Uhm?

I don't agree (well except for the sound of P Bass being the archetypical electric bass guitar tone).

If anything, as far as I am concerned, J Basses in general has a much more anonymous tone compared to the tone of a typical P Bass, which as far as I am concerned is full of character (and yes, I do love the sound of a P soloed as well).

Ever heard The Stranglers, to name just one band where a P Bass has a quite central role, and definitely does a lot more than act as just a support for the other instrument and is quite precent in the mix...

And it's not like even something as traditional and historically archetypical P Bass as James Jamerson's works exactly stays in the background either. 

If anything a J Bass with both pickups full on is likely to get lost in the mix, unless slapped, because of it's inherent mid scoop.

Also if you actually listen side by side to respectively a typical P Bass and a typical J neck pickup solo without any other instruments they will sound almost identical (given of course equipped with the same type/brand/model of strings and played through the same rig), the thing that will give the J away would be its somewhat more polished anonymous lack of character in comparison to the P with its somewhat more edgy tone full of character. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

This question is as old as the hills and there’s no absolute answer. You can find examples where either type of instrument is out front or back in the mix. So many other variables come into play, not least what the rest of the band are doing, the space you have, the mix - before you even get into how the bass in question makes you want to play. 

…but it sure is fun experimenting and getting the feeling when everything aligns and works perfectly. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, ped said:

This question is as old as the hills and there’s no absolute answer. You can find examples where either type of instrument is out front or back in the mix. So many other variables come into play, not least what the rest of the band are doing, the space you have, the mix - before you even get into how the bass in question makes you want to play. 

…but it sure is fun experimenting and getting the feeling when everything aligns and works perfectly. 

Add to that the specific individual instruments in question and not least the specific pickup models they are equipped with.

A J Bass with the most P pickup like sounding neck J pickup on the market soloed compared to a P Bass equipped with the most J like sounding P pickup on the market would be very hard to distinguish from each other, not to say completely impossible for the untrained ear or in a busy mix (again of course assuming equipped with the exact same type/brand/model of strings and played through the exact same rig).

For me the result has been successful and that might just be a Jazz bass sits in our band mix better, certainly fits better with the drums and guitar. 

Nothing wrong with my PBass either and if I was pick playing all songs I would play the PBass. For myself it’s worked and naturally it’s satisfying to find an alternative to achieve the tone you seek in context with your band sound. 
Incidentally, I tried this with a Stingray bass but it didn’t work as well as the Jazz. Don’t forget this is for my tone in a rock band so for others it might not be right, but I’m glad I ventured over to the JBass and I like what I hear and it’s comfortable to play albeit heavier than my other basses !

Edited by BassAdder60

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Add to that the specific individual instruments in question and not least the specific pickup models they are equipped with.

A J Bass with the most P pickup like sounding neck J pickup on the market soloed compared to a P Bass equipped with the most J like sounding P pickup on the market would be very hard to distinguish from each other, not to say completely impossible for the untrained ear or in a busy mix (again of course assuming equipped with the exact same type/brand/model of strings and played through the exact same rig).

Gotta say this sums it up for me. From my limited experience I'd say the right J and P together will support any argument there is about tone. But, in general. if you have the right J and P FOR YOU you're seldom going to fall short of finding the right vibe for most songs.

• Like 2

As others have said there's no right answer here. Whenever I see these discussions I tend to remind people that more important than the bass you're using is what guitar/amp combination your guitarist is using, what drums is your drummer using and if there's any keyboard parts involved. All of those make a huge difference.

If your guitarist is using a Marshall, which is very mid-heavy, a Stingray or a Jazz Bass fit perfectly because of their presence and more defined low-end. If your guitarist is more into using cleaner tones a P-Bass does wonders because of those low mids that sit perfectly in a cleaner mix.

Also the most important thing is the arrangement of the music. If you're playing a Rock song and there's two guitar parts playing power chords on the lower strings then there's no bass/amp/pedal in the world that's gonna make your bass "cut" through the mix, there's way too much sonic frequencies in the same place.

Any bass can work in any genre, in music it's all about the SONG and each one is different. I know this isn't the right answer for the marketing guys who'll say "oh just get X bass + amp + pedal and you'll be HEARD!" but this is simply just not true, there's a lot of variables at play each time.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I have both and I like both.

I also know the audience doesn't give a crap.

18 minutes ago, petebassist said:

Neither does the band.

That certainly depend a lot on the band and audience in question, which again to some degree is determined by the specific music played.

Generic Top 40 cover band music though, sure, in that case you would probably be right in something like in the proximity of 99% of all cases, except maybe for when there is another bass player in the audience. 

I play a different bass at almost every gig, be it originals or covers.  99.9%* of the time, no-one cares but me.  I very occasionally get a fellow bass nerd come up to me and ask me about my bass, but it's generally been a geek out rather than a "you played the wrong bass" type of thing.  I think I had one opinionated moron try and tell me I'd sound better if I was playing a Fender...

* total guess, but reasonably confident in it.

• Like 1

As many will know I’m Precision nuts, but I do find a Jazz bass works really well in rock. To be honest my preferred sound is much like trying to get a Jazz type sound from a Precision anyway, boosted highs, cut in the low mids, slight boost in low lows. I just don’t get on with Jazz necks. But now I’m playing Mustangs I find they’re somewhere inbetween a Jazz & a Precision so a bit easier for me to tone sculpt to what I’m after.

• Like 1

To paraphrase a photography saying - the best bass is the one you have with you at the time.

Oversimplifying it a bit, but not a bad thought. However, it's before the gig/rehearsal/whatever that troubles most folk with GAS. The truth is probably is that there is no 'right' bass, which accounts for why people have various types (or even lots of the same type). Use whatever makes you feel comfortable with your place in the ensemble. To this end I give you Geddy Lee, well known bassist in a certain rock outfit - off the top of my head: Precision; Rickenbacker; Steinberger; Wal; Jazz bass (although I think that the J first appeared briefly on Permanent Waves/Moving Pictures). They all worked and they all sound like Geddy.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

As many will know I’m Precision nuts, but I do find a Jazz bass works really well in rock. To be honest my preferred sound is much like trying to get a Jazz type sound from a Precision anyway, boosted highs, cut in the low mids, slight boost in low lows. I just don’t get on with Jazz necks. But now I’m playing Mustangs I find they’re somewhere inbetween a Jazz & a Precision so a bit easier for me to tone sculpt to what I’m after.

Isn’t the Mustang bass neck 1.5” like the Jazz ? I know it’s 30” scale vs 34” 

That’s a good point @ezbass, and whilst I’d no way compare myself to Geddy Lee whatever bass I play I sound like “me” as I eq them to get that “me” sound. So from there it’s choosing the bass that fits best, be it playability, weight, neck dimensions etc.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

Fortunately the JMJ Mustang has Precision sized neck - it’s quite a chunker.

6 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

Certainly for the Squiers and Player series, JMJ, Vintera and American Pro are wider at around 40-41mm.

10 hours ago, TheLowDown said:

In most rock I would definitely pick the P.

ISWYDT... 😀

I love a P, I do - I don't have one right now (tho I really, really must go to Jon Shuker's and pick up that JJB that's been sitting there waiting for me for months), but the vast majority of my basses have a split-coil pickup in the P position, so no matter what they look like I can get a P-Tone out of them. They all have a second pickup, too, so J-territory isn't far away, either (tho I never go there), sooooo...

P/J? Wouldn't that be the best of both worlds? If you don't like the P shape, there's Jazzes with a split in the right place - Aerodynes?

Edited by Muzz

Interesting topic. 

I've only just started gigging; 3 so far with another couple booked for June and others later on.  My bass collection is 8 strong with all the main varieties of pick up/position: P, J, PJ, double hum bucker & single humbucker at bridge.  I also have 3 heads and a few different cabs.

In the 3 gigs I've played so far I've taken 3 different basses and head/cab combinations as I'm trying to find the tone that I like/suits the songs/cuts through etc.  Lots more research to do but so far I am favouring a P or neck humbucker sound with a bit of bridge pick up dialled in.  This maybe out of a desire to stand out rather than be swallowed up by the 2 guitarists.

Another variable just added is that we have decided to diversify a bit and add a few non punk songs, mainly 90s rock and some of these songs I prefer to play with fingers rather than a pick.  So I'm starting to play with duller picks and experimenting with bridge pups when changing between fingers and pick..  

Lots to learn and much fun to be had in doing so!

• Like 1