Why become a member? ×

Verso Gravis - bass with fully movable pickup

Quatschmacher

2 hours ago, Hellzero said:

It's again a guitar design adapted to a bass, and there lies the issue,

Exactly - if it was redesigned for bass first and wanted to carry across the minimalist aesthetic I think you might end up with piezo pickup only, and with such an oddly underdeveloped headstock you might as well go headless ( tuners mounted between the two bits of the metal?) 

you could get it really slick and minimalist that way 

The BBOT bass! Have we discussed these before? I can certainly remember expressing opinions about interesting concepts but lazy, ugly execution and absolutely eye-watering price tags.

Can't think where else this would have come up if not.

• Like 1

It's been a while since i actually  laughed till i puked.  Looks like something recycled from i dont know what.

Yes i do -  neck from a Black & Decker workmate, body from a wheelbarrow. Someone should humanely take an axe to it.

And forget the humane bit

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

2157 Euros (plus Import Duty & Shipping, plus VAT on the lot) and a 12-month waitlist for an instrument where the only evidence of actual craftsmanship is (might be?) the shaping of the neck?

I have a Westone "The Rail" parked next to me as I type this. I think I know when I'm well off.

I believe you sum up what I was thinking.

Its basically a bit of bent metal with a cnc machined bit of wood stuck on it designed to be assembled in the cheapest way possible at an outrageously inflated price.

When someone on Alibaba starts to build this idea it will maybe sell for about 30 quid or 100 for the top end luxury model.

I actually liked the sound and thought it reminded me of sitar music. I could imagine it appealing to some styles of music. It just looks cheap and nasty construction wise even if it is a clever design.

Working on the price estimation a carbon reinforced pick axe handle should cost about €1000.

A year waiting list?

Hardly a professional product launch is it?

Shame really it's a nice product at a stupid greedy price

Before you disagree with me compare how much goes into building a car.

Rant over.

2 hours ago, jd56hawk said:

For that price, the chair is included, right?

th.jpeg-1,123.jpg

I think the bass looks like some masters design project. It's conceptional interesting as a guitar but looks a bit daft as a bass (and the headstock is just stupid) - but it does make me think - that chair is steam bent laminated birch isn't it - which would be an interesting building material - possibly in a different direction to this Verso thing - but more sustainable

18 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

I think the bass looks like some masters design project. It's conceptional interesting as a guitar but looks a bit daft as a bass (and the headstock is just stupid) - but it does make me think - that chair is steam bent laminated birch isn't it - which would be an interesting building material - possibly in a different direction to this Verso thing - but more sustainable

I thought the chair was molded plastic but either way your thinking has great possibilities. After all proper skateboards are made in a mold and look at the beating they can take.

28 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

To me it neither looks good nor sounds good. And certainly doesn't appear to justify the cost. 

@Happy Jack's The Rail is a far more elegant solution. 

And sounds better too. I shouldn't have sold my red one. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Something came to my mind, where do you take this instrument when a damage appear on the body: a coachbuilder?

For the "neck", a carpenter will do the job.

And a washing machine repairer will do the electronics part.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Ralf1e said:

I thought the chair was molded plastic but either way your thinking has great possibilities. After all proper skateboards are made in a mold and look at the beating they can take.

It's a danish 50's design classic using birch ply https://arnejacobsen.com/works/series-7/ 

Actually interesting academic question - if Leo Fender had popularised factory produced electric guitar in modern, bauhaus-influenced Europe rather than California .... what would it look like? 

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

It's a danish 50's design classic using birch ply https://arnejacobsen.com/works/series-7/ 

Actually interesting academic question - if Leo Fender had popularised factory produced electric guitar in modern, bauhaus-influenced Europe rather than California .... what would it look like? 

Something along the lines of a Ritter bass?

Actually, just thinking, a two pickup model would be cool. You could space them apart for 60s and 70s Jazz Bass positions or move them together to create a dual JJ pickup like in a Warwick thumb. Even better if the body had indicative markings of '60s/70s/Musicman 'Sweet Spot' etc on the body.

1 hour ago, jd56hawk said:

Something along the lines of a Ritter bass?

No, Ritter basses have nothing to do with Bauhaus, it's more Rococo inspired.

The (Ned) Steinberger original design is a Bauhaus inspired instrument, and is certainly the first.

Then you can have a look at Leduc instruments as he's a Bauhaus baby, being an architect before a luthier.

It's more subtle and radical than the headless and bodyless design of Ned Steinberger for sure, but the complete approach is clearly Bauhaus oriented.

Edited by Hellzero
Missing words
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

Nice link thanks. The chair in timber in the flesh looks much nicer than the bass IMV

16 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

No, Ritter basses have nothing to do with Bauhaus, it's more Rococo inspired.

The (Ned) Steinberger original design is a Bauhaus inspired instrument, and is certainly the first.

Then you can have a look at Leduc instruments as he's a Bauhaus baby, being an architect before a luthier.

It's more subtle and radical than the headless and bodyless design of Ned Steinberger for sure, but the complete approach is clearly Bauhaus oriented.

If you want a bauhaus inspired instrument,  brute is your brand

https://instagram.com/brute_bass_guitars?igshid=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==

Screenshot_20230509_125710_Instagram.thumb.jpg.ad4bde4ff9f66e2f73073a78db96a264.jpg

Edited by lidl e