Why become a member? ×

Here's a treat ! - Bernard Purdie's and Chuck Rainey's isolated tracks from 'Kid Charlemagne'

Mastery, and also a little sorcery at work here, surely. 😊 👍

And then there's a few comments below from people who simply don't understand ebb and flow, and nuanced syncopation.......

..."minor timing errors in the bass"...........

......"completely lacking in any pocket".............. 😳

and look out for a lovely bit of bass nonsense at 3.05, even Fagen must have cracked a little smile at that.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

Nice.

I listen to this brilliant real organic musicianship and it only re-enforces my continuing thought that people today who make music have totaly lost their way. U see vids of young guys messing about with tech to get everything perfect (What does that even mean?)...and those mic things singers have to have...What does any of it add to the music.. Nothing, absolutely nothing. A great song is always gonna be great even recorded with an old tape recorder and a lapel mic. A crap tune is always crap irrespective of how many millions are spent on it in the studio.

• Like 1

That’s great! There’s an interview Chuck Rainey has done recently with Rick Beato where they discuss (amongst other things) Kid Charlemagne. Rick Beato has the guitar included when they’re listening through to the bass and drums, which blends everything together perfectly.

Chuck Rainey says it was all done in one take! 

• Like 2

I must have been listening to that track and Chuck Rainey's bass line for nigh on forty years. That isolated bass part confirms what I had already suspected, essentially that it sounds difficult to play, but in reality it's even harder than I thought it was.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Misdee said:

I must have been listening to that track and Chuck Rainey's bass line for nigh on forty years. That isolated bass part confirms what I had already suspected, essentially that it sounds difficult to play, but in reality it's even harder than I thought it was.

Hell yes 👍 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 07/05/2023 at 09:37, greavesbass said:

Nice.

I listen to this brilliant real organic musicianship and it only re-enforces my continuing thought that people today who make music have totaly lost their way. U see vids of young guys messing about with tech to get everything perfect (What does that even mean?)...and those mic things singers have to have...What does any of it add to the music.. Nothing, absolutely nothing. A great song is always gonna be great even recorded with an old tape recorder and a lapel mic. A crap tune is always crap irrespective of how many millions are spent on it in the studio.

This is reflected in the comment above re Rainey’s playing being so out of time, perhaps posted by someone who records multitrack in the digital domain, who is used to being able to line individual tracks up in time, and who believes that’s what good timing sounds like. More often than not it’ll simply sound sterile. I wish I knew what is the perfect algorithm for bass and drum timing, but I know that precise synchrony is hugely overrated 👍

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Beedster said:

This is reflected in the comment above re Rainey’s playing being so out of time, perhaps posted by someone who records multitrack in the digital domain, who is used to being able to line individual tracks up in time, and who believes that’s what good timing sounds like. More often than not it’ll simply sound sterile. I wish I knew what is the perfect algorithm for bass and drum timing, but I know that precise synchrony is hugely overrated 👍

I seem to remember that there is a Rick Beato video where he quantises John Bonham - it’s all kinds of wrong feel-wise.

• Like 3

I love every note that Chuck Rainey has ever played. He's not perfect but he's so musical and that's what matters. 

A couple of weeks ago I had to play one of his lines in Aretha's Rock Steady. The simplest of parts, but I sweated over that line the most. I can play the notes, but grooving like Chuck. That was the difficult part.

On 07/05/2023 at 12:44, Old Man Riva said:

That’s great! There’s an interview Chuck Rainey has done recently with Rick Beato where they discuss (amongst other things) Kid Charlemagne. Rick Beato has the guitar included when they’re listening through to the bass and drums, which blends everything together perfectly.

Chuck Rainey says it was all done in one take! 

That was one of my favourite Rick Beato interviews. Chuck was funny, thoughtful and gave a ton of good advice. Great musician and man. Thoroughly disproved the notion that you should never meet your heroes (even if only via a recorded interview).

• 3 weeks later...