Why become a member? ×

The One You've Never Tried, But Really Want To

snorkie635

48 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Really, the first time I listened to music and isolated the bass in my head, so to speak, and really digging the bass lines and understanding their importance was listening to Chris Squire. I've always wanted to play a Rickenbacker ever since but, like JJ Burnel, Squire's tone was dependent on faulty equipment so I don't suppose any Rickenbacker is going to sound like Chris Squire just like no Fender is ever going to sound like early Stranglers. Still like to try one though...

Absolutely - it's what you make it sound like that's important.

28 minutes ago, Wolfram said:

There's a couple actually: a headless Status S2 (5 or 6 string). I've absolutely loved the shape since I first saw them in the '80s, way before I ever took up bass (which was about 18 months ago). Just intrigued.

And this one from the classifieds right here. I can't afford it. I have no reason to believe I can play fretless bass (never tried). But ... just look at it!

image.png.55332f3b5bf23b8dc39c54b1aad49818.png
 https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/469484-marleaux-diva-6-bass-signature-redwood-burl-top/

That does indeed, look very pretty. 😎

So many...

EB0

Rickenbacker 4001

Sandberg of some description

Les Paul bass

Thunderbird

D-Roc

Jack Casady

Steinberger of some sort

There will be more that I can't think of right now too. I've had a relatively sheltered bass life so far. 

I also don't like playing in a shop. I feel like I don't have the chops, even though I've never been turned down for a band I auditioned for. Plus I'm too awkward to flag down a salesperson most of the time!

omg, I have a million. Truncated list:

For straightforward interest in tone and feel:

Rob Allen mouse

Stradi symphony fretless

Reverend Dub King or Rumblefish (not sure why)

MM Stingray (I know these are everywhere but, like @MichaelDean, I don't spend much time in guitar shops trying everything I like the look of)

Something properly vintage - like a 60s/70s Fender Jazz - just to see

And out of curiosity for the absurdity of it:

That Ibanez Ashula thing

A Basslabs something or other

31 minutes ago, MichaelDean said:

So many...

EB0

Rickenbacker 4001

Sandberg of some description

Les Paul bass

Thunderbird

D-Roc

Jack Casady

Steinberger of some sort

There will be more that I can't think of right now too. I've had a relatively sheltered bass life so far. 

I also don't like playing in a shop. I feel like I don't have the chops, even though I've never been turned down for a band I auditioned for. Plus I'm too awkward to flag down a salesperson most of the time!

'Chops' don't matter in a shop. You are playing for an audience of one - you. See if the bass feels right and works for you. Buying a bass should never be interrupted by feelings of inadequacy. Go for it and enjoy what's out there.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, alittlebitrobot said:

omg, I have a million. Truncated list:

For straightforward interest in tone and feel:

Rob Allen mouse

Stradi symphony fretless

Reverend Dub King or Rumblefish (not sure why)

MM Stingray (I know these are everywhere but, like @MichaelDean, I don't spend much time in guitar shops trying everything I like the look of)

Something properly vintage - like a 60s/70s Fender Jazz - just to see

And out of curiosity for the absurdity of it:

That Ibanez Ashula thing

A Basslabs something or other

Yep, the Ashula is something I've not had a go on yet.

9 minutes ago, snorkie635 said:

'Chops' don't matter in a shop. You are playing for an audience of one - you. See if the bass feels right and works for you. Buying a bass should never be interrupted by feelings of inadequacy. Go for it and enjoy what's out there.

Back in the day when we used to go and try stuff all the time, I'd first always pick up a bass ( and occasionally a Git just for a lark) and have a strum on it not plugged in, loads of times you can just go "Nah.." to yourself at that stage,  as it immediately doesn't appeal by the feel of it. 

Obviously if it passes the 'pick it up and twang it a bit' test, you can then ask them to steer you towards an amp and see what it sounds like. 

Funnily enough despite the fact we always looked like scumbags I don't ever recall being refused to try anything in a music shop. Maybe they didn't want to risk it in case we'd just signed a record deal or something 🤣

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Back in the day when we used to go and try stuff all the time, I'd first always pick up a bass ( and occasionally a Git just for a lark) and have a strum on it not plugged in, loads of times you can just go "Nah.." to yourself at that stage,  as it immediately doesn't appeal by the feel of it. 

Obviously if it passes the 'pick it up and twang it a bit' test, you can then ask them to steer you towards an amp and see what it sounds like. 

Funnily enough despite the fact we always looked like scumbags I don't ever recall being refused to try anything in a music shop. Maybe they didn't want to risk it in case we'd just signed a record deal or something 🤣

2 basses I've tried unplugged that felt amazing (but didn't get a chance to plug in) were a Fodera (don't know the model) and a Peavey Cirrus. Peavey basses are so underrated.

On the guitar shop thing, I always feel weird asking the staff if I can play a guitar I have absolutely zero hope of buying. But I know that's silly behaviour, really. It's not as if every other person in there has a pile of cash burning a hole in their wallet.

3 minutes ago, alittlebitrobot said:

2 basses I've tried unplugged that felt amazing (but didn't get a chance to plug in) were a Fodera (don't know the model) and a Peavey Cirrus. Peavey basses are so underrated.

On the guitar shop thing, I always feel weird asking the staff if I can play a guitar I have absolutely zero hope of buying. But I know that's silly behaviour, really. It's not as if every other person in there has a pile of cash burning a hole in their wallet.

For all they know you might be loaded ! Just go for it 👍

• Thanks 1

Agreed.....there are so many.....
(Gibson/Epi)
- T-bird
- Flying V
- Jack Casady
- Fenderbird
(Fender/Squire)
- '51 P
- Mustang
- Roscoe Beck IV
Also...
- Peavey T-40
- Chowny CHB
- Sandberg Forty-Eight
- Vox Standard
- Warwick Starbass

Sure there will be more...

The really high end stuff and exotics don’t really appeal to me much. However I would really like to try out a Gibson Thunderbird, probably have to be a vintage one and any Rickenbacker but preferably a 4005. I don’t think I want either but a serious go on them would satisfy me, at the moment. Ask me again next week and my answer will probably be different.

• Haha 1

Basslab doubleneck 5-string headless fretted + fretless.

e404ffda40c0a2553049a70ec1bd9cf3.jpg

To see what the necks were like - if they were nice, I'd like one with parallel necks and the fretless on top.

I'd also like to try a Ritter Roya 5-string.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Top man 👍

But bear in mind.. "an angel dies every time you play gratuitous slap bass" 😁

Having been to The London Bass Guitar Show I’m surprised there are any angels left the amount of that that goes on there!

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, SPHDS said:

Agreed.....there are so many.....
(Gibson/Epi)
- T-bird
- Flying V
- Jack Casady
- Fenderbird
(Fender/Squire)
- '51 P
- Mustang
- Roscoe Beck IV
Also...
- Peavey T-40
- Chowny CHB
- Sandberg Forty-Eight
- Vox Standard
- Warwick Starbass

Sure there will be more...

Well, you've got plenty to keep you busy when the nights start drawing in (only just over 7 weeks btw!)

7 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

A Dingwall Leland Sklar Signature Series 2. I had a Series 1 and everything about it was perfect apart from only having two Super Fatty's. The Series 2 has three.

Saving my pennies. I might be a while 😎.

Does that make it similar to a Z3 then? Not sure what the difference(s) would be.

12 hours ago, tauzero said:

Basslab doubleneck 5-string headless fretted + fretless.

e404ffda40c0a2553049a70ec1bd9cf3.jpg

To see what the necks were like - if they were nice, I'd like one with parallel necks and the fretless on top.

I'd also like to try a Ritter Roya 5-string.

I was going to post the exact same bass because I have become somewhat attached to Basslab instruments, and my second choice was going to be a Ritter Roya! Quite the coincidence. Something like this, but with the B string on the saddle: 

image.png.069f3aa177af03a9ef01c41e8b43c765.png

Edited by Chris2112
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, snorkie635 said:

Does that make it similar to a Z3 then? Not sure what the difference(s) would be.

The Z3 doesn’t come with Super Fatty’s and the Sklar has Mandolin frets rather than Banjo frets. I think there was also a very slight difference in fingerboard radius last time I checked, but that was so minimal as to be insignificant AFAIC.

30 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

The Z3 doesn’t come with Super Fatty’s and the Sklar has Mandolin frets rather than Banjo frets. I think there was also a very slight difference in fingerboard radius last time I checked, but that was so minimal as to be insignificant AFAIC.

Thanks for the clarification. Every day's a school day. 👍