Why become a member? ×

One five string to rule them all

horrorshowbass

45 minutes ago, horrorshowbass said:

Cheers dude @hiram.k.hackenbacker

Love the username, Im a big Gerry Anderson head.

Thought about a SR5 as I have a 4 and love the tone.

Lad on fb is selling minty NG2 for £1600. Would need to sell my SR and L2500 but would love to try a Ding.

You've just said it is 'minty' and you now want to try giving it a 'Ding'. Young people today, just don't know the value of things. When I were little, I got an orange in a sock for Christmas and thought I were luckiest lad in't world.

23 hours ago, horrorshowbass said:

For context

Current Arsenal includes an RBX775 and L2500. The yamaha is just magnificent, probably cus over had ot forever. Maybe not best B in world somight put high C on it

I disagree, try a taper core B string and you may change your mind. I currently have MTD's on mine and the B is excellent.

How about a Human base RoxyB5.. If i'm not mistaken, i remember reading a positive comment from you wrt a classified add for one on here a while ago.

I can't get them out the back of my mind... I never owned a 5er, but keep thinking i might, and that is the one i'd go for.... unless i could land a Stingray 5.

Cracking review by Ed Friedland.

24 minutes ago, horrorshowbass said:

I didn't comment on it but sounds like good shout.

Theres currently a HH SR5, thumb 5 and NG2 available on market so wrapping my head around it.

Some HH SR5's can be weighty if that's an issue for you. Mine was like a boat anchor.

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker

I'm comfortable with 19/20mm spacing... uncomfortable with 17mm.

16.5mm is, for me, unplayable. OK for the Mark King fanboys I suppose.

But hey, maybe I've just been lazy for the 30 years I've been playing 5 strings. 🙄

My answer to the OP question is, from the offered options, Dingwall.

Given free rein, it probably wouldn't be.

Horses for courses. 

I like 15mm spacing for five strings if I'm playing with fingers.   If I'm playing with a pick then 18mm or wider is better and preferably a four.  Most of the time I play fives and they all have 16mm or less spacing.

2 hours ago, Rich said:

My answer to the OP question is, from the offered options, Dingwall.

Given free rein, it probably wouldn't be.

See I would go dingwall from the given options, if I could pick the dingwall, but I had a combustion and TBH, although the neck was lovely, the bass was not good at all - lifeless and uninteresting, almost lost a gig because of it, but luckily brought a Cricket Bass backup and redeemed it. Hated it and coudln't wait to get rid of it, traded it for my #1 ibanez which on the face of it sounds like a bad deal but was about the best deal I ever made.

So I would never get another far east dingwall without playing it.

2 hours ago, Kiwi said:

Horses for courses. 

I like 15mm spacing for five strings if I'm playing with fingers.   If I'm playing with a pick then 18mm or wider is better and preferably a four.  Most of the time I play fives and they all have 16mm or less spacing.

Horses for courses, indeed.  I am the other way inclined - tight spacing for pick but wider spacing for my clumsy fingerstyle.

5 hours ago, horrorshowbass said:

This is on ebay.

Lush.

Mate says I'm mad in head and will miss the l2500 too much. We'll see

Screenshot_20230425-101538_Chrome.jpg

Don't drop the L2500. I'm with your mate on that one. Just back from rehearsing ten minutes ago and I was using both an SR 5 and an L2500. The latter was way better than the former and I really like my Stingrays. Just saying ... ... 🤗