Why become a member? ×

I'm an idiot (tracking down an old bass)

Jellyfish

I'm sure I'm not the first, nor will I be the last, but a few years ago I committed a grave mistake and sold a custom bass. I had some personal stuff going on at the time (it was my only instrument) that forced the sale and, in retrospect, I wish I'd found another way as I miss it dearly and am wondering if anyone might have any ideas of how to track it down.

The Bass

The bass is/was an Alpher Instruments Mako Elite 5-string - scroll down to the bottom for pics.

What I've Found (so far)

After I sold it, it later appeared for sale at Bass Direct. At the time (this was also several years ago) I didn't have the funds to buy it back. The listing can still be found here, and I've recently contacted Bass Direct directly, to see if they may be able to help out.

I know it's a huge stretch, but I'm desperate enough to check often and thought I'd see if anyone's gone through something similar (reassurance is appreciated) :) 

Pics

WDmnKMK.jpg

kAJVBVQ.jpg

1wiC3RD.jpg

kTk2tyv.jpg

• Like 2

If all else fails, I’m sure the Alpher guys would make you another Mako that would be nigh-on identical. 

I’ve been in a similar situation - back in 2002 I sold a bass in order to get a better one, but it was never quite the same. The bass that I sold got me through some trying times, and I’ve not seen hide nor hair of that bass for over 20 years. I’m sure it’s still out there somewhere, but I can only hope that its subsequent owners got as much out of it as I did. 

• Like 1

Been there. Several times!

The one I miss/regret selling the most was a Nordstrand NX6 - the only one of its kind made by Carey Nordstrand before the business pivoted to focusing on pickups. I too often look for this bass, in the decade since I sold it, I've never seen or heard anything of it again - no resales that I can see, no posting on forums, no more images except the one below (from before I bought it). It was an unbelievably good bass. One day I hope to hear from it again!

Good luck in your quest sir, I'm routing for you!

Screenshot_20230421_084257_Google.thumb.jpg.42bf9605f9d25252e159b80027a8dfb1.jpg

• Like 1

This was the bass that I mentioned above.

Blakbird.jpg.7f6cda838426a89f805fd9f5ac6d155c.jpg

blackbird_bass_1.jpg.69cd88bdd98554cb64b475996290126f.jpg

It's a "pseudo-Sei" - back before I had the first of the four "proper" Seis that I've owned, this was made from a body/neck that I bought from Brandoni. It was extensively restyled by the Sei guys (mostly Chris McIntyre, back when he worked there), gained a new ebony fingerboard, a Bartolini MME pickup and a Kahler tremolo. 

I sold it back in 2002 to that musical instrument exchange place that used to be in Notting Hill, and haven't seen it since. I'd love to get it back, if it's still out there somewhere. It has significant sentimental value to me. 

Edited by Russ

that is always the risk if you sell it because you didn't like it - I always think 'why did I sell that' and then remember, but when you sell something that you have to for financial reasons, its not the same. I still regret selling my ibanez 6/12 double neck, but I didn't want to be homeless!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

that is always the risk if you sell it because you didn't like it - I always think 'why did I sell that' and then remember, but when you sell something that you have to for financial reasons, its not the same. I still regret selling my ibanez 6/12 double neck, but I didn't want to be homeless!

That's pretty much why I sold my bass. I lost my job, had rent to pay, and was on the hook for a £2k (would be closer to £3.5k today) custom bass that was in the process of being built for me. Couldn't justify keeping it at the time. 

3 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I remember seeing that bass at bass direct and being fairly tempted.

Well, they were kind enough to at least let me know that it went to somewhere in Europe.

Anyone got a map and some darts...? 😄

It's not one that I owned but I looked at this Basslab Standard when it was for sale on Basschat a couple of years ago and gave serious consideration to buying it. Wish I knew where it was now as I'd buy it in an instant, probably. I have an L-Bow five string and it's mind-blowingly good, perfectly suited to me really. 

https://i.imgur.com/0N5ChcG.jpeg

basslab-std-vi-1627755.thumb.jpg.18ddd9072e1266e04e13c14c4daf269a (1).jpg

Edited by Chris2112