Why become a member? ×

Phrases to watch out for in Ads….

Rayman

The aforementioned (from a few posts ago) Columbus Jazz was from a “named” band. Used by the bass player from said band on a number of gigs and recordings back in the day (bear in mind this was seen as a selling point). That band had one very minor chart “hit” in the UK. It didn’t change the fact that the bass was still a budget model from the 70s, and the “famous” connection didn’t add to its modest value. 

Ah, the silly things people think is worth money. I had a guy try to trade me a SUB Stingray (the old US one, which could be had used for less than 500 quid quite comfortably) recently and on which he had placed a value of 1300 quid, on the basis that he had never really played it so, therefore, it was new. It meant that I would have had something just taking up space which would lose 800 quid in perceived value if I ever played it. I enjoyed that one.

Just yesterday, I had a guy offer 200 for a bass I have priced reasonably (in my opinion, an 89 Ibanez SR1000e) at 450. He essentially wanted to charge me 250 to cover his time and fuel for the 300 mile round trip. I made a counter offer, that I would incur the time and fuel expenses and deliver it to him for 700. That seemed to upset him.

• Haha 5

“Custom build, one of a kind” - means a failed attempt at building your first bass out of the leftover shards of uncle Jeff’s wardrobe shortly before he fly tipped it in a lay-by just outside of Norwich.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Yes, bought my electronic piano from a seller who was a smoker, it took over 5 years before I could play it across the full range without some sudden smell of smoke.

Obviously that was the ghost of Uncle Sidney... I bet it was on the notes that make   "My Old Man Said Follow the Van"..... 

On 15/04/2023 at 18:03, Waddo Soqable said:

And  "smoke free home" of course... 

Taking on @BigRedX's mantle for a moment, if the item includes a soft case or a lined hard case and it has come from a smoking household, be prepared to air it in a shed or similar external shelter with occasional squirts of Febreze for the next year.

33 minutes ago, oldslapper said:

- “the plastic is still on the scratch-plate/rear plate/truss rod cover”

image.gif.158a1f7c1c3f89d489bdf57bf52285f1.gif

As it happens I got a Squier PJ that all the plastic fillum was still on, even on the machine heads.. I've been just playing it like that and still haven't stripped any of it off yet.

tho I did peel the "get your free online lessons" (or whatever it is) sticker off 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1