Why become a member? ×

Schrodingers bass

I messaged him

Hello Bob

Can you give me a bit more info on this please.

Is it a unique, one off owned and built by Rob Armstrong? 
Can you confirm that he gave you the information directly?
JOOI How do you know Rob?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Mick

I'll keep you all apprised.

You may even recognise the seller..

image.png.2f987d0df962c0ed50a11e2d07858d01.png

New message from: jackalbob (630)

Hello Mick.
Thanks for your message.
This headless Bass was built by Rob and is a one off. He did make some other electric basses for Dave Pegg (Fairport Convention) . They had necks with traditional head stocks and machine heads. This is the only "steinberger" type he made.
Absolutely yes, I confirm Rob gave me all the details/ info prior to me listing it for him. He's not internet/computer capable, so he asked me if I would offer these instruments for sale on his behalf.
I have known him as a friend for almost 50 years, have been his photographer for the last 12 years (all the photo's of his instruments currently listed on ebay were taken by myself.)
He lives across the road and I see him 3 times a week.
I hope this answers your query, any other info, please ask.
Regards.
Richard.

30 minutes ago, WHUFC BASS said:

I saw this a while back and it really reminded me of a Riverhead bass with the paint removed. Obviously it isn't but I can't help thinking he's copied the build from Riverhead by Headway:

hande-logo.gif

Which bare also reminiscent of the Burns Flyte.

• Like 1

So I sent the UK seller details of the Etsy ad. Here's his response...

New message from: jackalbob (630)

Hello again.... what the ???
He's obviously knicked my photo's off ebay and listed it himself... never known anything like this before !!!! I'll have to see about reporting this individual to etsy and see what they say. He can't possibly make a sale because he doesn't have the bass... idiot.
Thanks for the heads up anyway.
Richard.

9 hours ago, WHUFC BASS said:

I saw this a while back and it really reminded me of a Riverhead bass with the paint removed. Obviously it isn't but I can't help thinking he's copied the build from Riverhead by Headway:

hande-logo.gif

According to the blurb, the bass was originally built for Matthew Pegg - son of Dave Pegg. Dave was so enamoured of his Riverhead Unicorn that he composed/named a Fairport track in honour of it. Well, according to my ex-bandmate, who's a massive Fairport fan, he did...

8 hours ago, NikNik said:

Which bare also reminiscent of the Burns Flyte.

Indeed - clearly by the early 80s Japanese guitar makers still hadn't got over copying other designs!

Fwiw there were natural finish Riverheads - possibly Japan-only, like most of the cool stuff! Given a choice I dunno if I'd pick the Rob Armstrong over this...

natural02.thumb.jpg.c4c0af0ae762f7b206ac681f8a24f366.jpg

Edited by Bassassin
  • Like 2