Why become a member? ×

Warwick thumb bass advice

horrorshowbass

A Warwick Thumb NT is like a Rickenbacker to me; if you want that unique sound you need to adjust your playing technique from the more common FSO position. If you're not able to do that then walk away. End of. 

20230312_144555.thumb.jpg.d9662555af30e57e68c9fbbc57d6bf31.jpg

20230312_144702.thumb.jpg.1092dcb08ea68d286fc0d596888c3f51.jpg

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Like 4

I had a bolt on 4 around 2003/4. I still miss the exceptional sound of that thing, but was never that comfy with it on a strap. Balance was fine, it was the way it felt like the headstock was so far away that I never fully got used to. 

I'd have another if I could justify it!

I still have my Thumb. It was the first bass I bought and while I owned 'better' basses, I never owned one that felt or sounded as right to me as that one does. Still, probably sell it as I don't play it these days.

Regarding the importance of all of the elements of the Thumb sound, particularly the insane growl the 5 strings have, to me, the most important part is the double J bars, slanted right up against the bridge. Different woods and neck-thru or bolt-on seem less important, they can offer some nuances, but IMO the sound comes from the instrument being a slab of hardwood with that unique pickup combination.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mastodon2 said:

I still have my Thumb. It was the first bass I bought and while I owned 'better' basses, I never owned one that felt or sounded as right to me as that one does. Still, probably sell it as I don't play it these days.

Regarding the importance of all of the elements of the Thumb sound, particularly the insane growl the 5 strings have, to me, the most important part is the double J bars, slanted right up against the bridge. Different woods and neck-thru or bolt-on seem less important, they can offer some nuances, but IMO the sound comes from the instrument being a slab of hardwood with that unique pickup combination.

Cheers Masty

The 5 would be a monster alright.

I already have 2 5s so something would have to go ;)

That growl! Then it's a THUMB bass, a slap monster it urges you to use your thumb.

And all that is written is true, it is heavy, not balanced, the first fret is miles away, not comfortable to play - but the SOUND!

I had the chance to play one at a bass-player meeting (always an event with costly follow-up-actions) and immediately fell in love! So recently I found a 1992 NT5 - happy. It is not the most versatile instrument, not the one for the whole evening and not the one for every style, but where it fits it FITS. The B-string is absolutely stunning, clarity and power I haven't found so far (and I compare with Zon and Wal).

So: try to play one - and check a 5 string, these are special as mastodon2 wrote, the pickup position is unique. Also check a neck-through - I like the asthetics of the back ... that is gorgeous craftmanship. Ah, and it's German Handwerk - everything is adjustable, stable and precice brass bridge and per-string adjustable saddle. Which leads to an extremely low action compensating a bit for the far out lower frets.

... see, they gained a fan 🙂

Cheers,

Tom

TheThumb.jpg

• Like 1

I suppose you could always buy a bolt on, saw the neck off at the last 4 frets and then refit the neck. That should sort out the reach to the first fret and the balance (and nobody has any business to be up the dusty end anyway)

Or give it to everyone's favourite luthier on eBay to modify....

• Haha 2

I'm a thumb Bolton 5 owner and there are some pros and cons. I got mine because there are nothing like it sound wise and that was what I wanted and never looked back. 

Ergony was the only thing that could have made me change my mind but since I'm a 1,90m tall the distance of the first fret is doable so the only real issue was the balance. The way I solved this was using a wide strap and adding some counterweight attached right next to the rear strap lock. This adds ofc some weigh but solved my problem. 

I'd rather have a bass with an awesome sound and deal with ergonomic issues than have an amazingly balanced bass wose sound doesn't suits my needs. 

• Like 1

Yeah "that" tone is what it's all about.

I had the exact same conundrum with H stingrays. Pickup was nowhere near where I'm used to but I adapted. Tried HH and rests but just felt weird and I use a floating thumb now. 

Now that I have a notion on thumbs, its unlikely to pass until I try one 😀 

5 minutes ago, horrorshowbass said:

Thoughts?

https://reverb.com/item/67918186-warwick-thumb-bolt-on-4-2004

I already have 2x 5 strings so 4 would make sense.

My two cents..

The woods in the description are incorrect, as confirmed by the serial lookup:

Serial number:
J 109277-04

Article number:
1224030000BZOVAOWW

produced:
2004-09-14

Description:
Thumb BO, 4-string
Natural Oil finish
Ovangkol body
Ovangkol neck

Black hardware

Made in Germany

The nut is a replacement standard nut as it doesn't look like any of the Warwick Just-A-Nut versions, which may or may not be a problem for you.

Lots of oxidation on the bridge pick-up screw would make me want to see the electronics compartment to check if anything funny going on.

A bit pricey given the condition, but should be looked at in person to get a better sense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've got two NT 4s and one NT 5. The first Thumb I got was a 1987 JD Thumb which had a fantastic neck, and I later bought a 2000 NT 4 which had the fat neck - I had that defretted and reprofiled to be the same as the JD neck. I don't use the 4s now but I don't want to part with them. The balance wasn't ideal but with a strap with a reasonable amount of friction on it it was OK. I found the JD very versatile, used it for everything from heavy rock to a ceilidh band playing traditional tunes.

I had a bolt-on 5 string Thumb. My first 'high end' bass. I bought it circa year 2000 from the old Bass Centre in Wapping along with a Warwick CCL combo amp.

IIRC, it was ovankol body and neck, with wenge fingerboard. The former of which required regular waxing, and the latter feeding with lemon oil to stop it drying out.

The tone was fantastic and was my main bass for a number of years. I've never heard another bass with that kind of growly piano tone... and that B string was perfect.

But as others have mentioned regarding ergonomics, the neck dive and first fret reach got to me (I'm only 5'7" so the nut felt like it was in the next post code). Repetitive lines in the first few frets would make my left hand cramp up, and I ended up in pain for a couple of days after every gig due to the neck dive. It ended up living in a gig bag for a number of years before I finally sold it.

However. I have since heard that Warwick basses made around that time had chunkier necks and were more prone to neck dive - mine was huge D shaped bassball bat of a neck. I quite liked it actually, other than the dive. Apparently more recent models within the last 10 years have slimmer profile necks again and balance better. But I would still recommend trying one with a strap, just to make sure the reach is okay.

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Like 3

I can second a lot of what has already been mentioned about dates to avoid and wood types.  I love my Bubinga Thumb NT with its Wenge neck and Ebony fretboard... but this one is a studio queen, since it sounds superb in recordings but I feel is too heavy and too nice to gig.

Screen Shot 2023-04-13 at 5.17.03 PM.png

• Like 2