Why become a member? ×

The Ultimate KISS Song Tournament

I saw this on Bruce Kulick's FB page and it baffled me as to how he managed to get to God Gave Rock & Roll To You as being the ultimate Kiss song. It's a flippin' cover version!

Love 'em or hate 'em, they've written a few decent songs, so here's the challenge if you want to play along.

1732BE1D-AF62-4F42-83AD-B94EBC51C595.thumb.jpeg.0988f5705a0f2527a45237956d2a196b.jpeg

B23C2414-C724-46C3-B787-FA7E6BA5CCC0_1_102_o.jpeg.13435b931afbb8a03a2fac67e05ba00c.jpeg

Just now, Beedster said:

Oh come on

I was about to post the same.

Although I listened to a bit of Kiss back in my school days I've never been a huge fan.

But If I had to put a Kiss song on a playlist, this would be it.

Honourable mention for Crazy Nights. 

• Thanks 1

I’m torn. So many I could choose from, and a few I could happily never hear again (‘My Way’ anyone?) - and this coming from a guy with a Rock N Roll Over cover tattoo.

Honourable mention: ‘Who Wants To Be Lonely’.

Winner for me is: Parasite.

But honestly, they’re all winners 😀. I have a playlist on the iPod called ‘Kiss-a-thon’. It’s every studio album, solos included, in chronological order. My youngest, 11, puts it in shuffle in the school run. Too much fun.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gareth Hughes said:

I’m torn. So many I could choose from, and a few I could happily never hear again (‘My Way’ anyone?) - and this coming from a guy with a Rock N Roll Over cover tattoo.

Honourable mention: ‘Who Wants To Be Lonely’.

Winner for me is: Parasite.

But honestly, they’re all winners 😀. I have a playlist on the iPod called ‘Kiss-a-thon’. It’s every studio album, solos included, in chronological order. My youngest, 11, puts it in shuffle in the school run. Too much fun.

Parasite for me also.

• Like 1

Slightly off topic, but I listened to all four of the solo albums at work this morning. You can certainly hear echoes of the band's songwriting in all of them except Peter Criss' effort, which is just dire IMHO.

I'm aware he's known as having 'jazz' roots, but that album is getting deleted from my downloads. I think Ace's album is probably my favourite, followed by Paul's, then Gene's, but there's not much in it.

• Like 1

I remember seeing Kiss on the Today show (the same one as the Sex Pistols)...unsure who was interviewing, Eamonn Andrews or Bill Grundy, so this would have been around the time of the first UK tour, so 1976.  A mate bought Destroyer into school the next day and I was smitten.  That weekend I was up in London and bought Alive! with my pocket money.

Obsessively lived and breathed this band for the next three or four years, I suppose I started to lose interest when the solo albums came out; while I was familiar with the content on Dynasty and Unmasked (through other people), I didn't buy them and I had moved on (primarily onto Japan and other more homegrown punk stuff).  Don't get me wrong, at the time I adored the two live albums and the three albums in between, although the only one I ever return to is Destroyer, which still rates in my top five albums.

So, I don't need a knockout or anything for the best ones.  C'mon and Love Me (Alive!), God of Thunder (Destroyer), I Stole Your Love & Shock Me (Love Gun).  I also have a soft spot for Great Expectations off Destroyer.

37 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

….I suppose I started to lose interest when the solo albums came out; while I was familiar with the content on Dynasty and Unmasked (through other people), I didn't buy them and I had moved on (primarily onto Japan and other more homegrown punk stuff).

There are a bunch of songs on the Simmons solo album that were written and demoed for Destroyer, but for one reason or another didn’t make the grade. It would have been nice to have heard them with the full on Ezrin production, although to have the demo’s is something I guess. They’re on the Super Deluxe version. I think Ace said some of his solo album songs were written for Rock and Roll Over. 

28 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Did you ever do any of the solo material live? 

We occasionally played:

Wouldn't You Like To Know Me, Tonight You Belong To Me, Move On or Goodbye from Paul's solo

NY Groove, Rip It Up, Speeding Back To My Baby or Snowblind from Ace's solo

Tossin & Turnin (VERY occasionally) from Peter's solo

and Radioactive from Gene's solo.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

There are a bunch of songs on the Simmons solo album that were written and demoed for Destroyer, but for one reason or another didn’t make the grade. It would have been nice to have heard them with the full on Ezrin production, although to have the demo’s is something I guess. They’re on the Super Deluxe version. I think Ace said some of his solo album songs were written for Rock and Roll Over. 

I listened to the extended version of Destroyer earlier.  I'd concur there's an awful lot of fill in the home demos - it certainly would have been interesting to hear some of it done properly with Bob Ezrin.

In hindsight, I think (for me at least) where things fall over are in the early studio albums; they sound very weedy and thin from a production perspective.  I'm way more familiar with the bombastic element of the live album versions (irrespective of how much of a product of the studio they are).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

I listened to the extended version of Destroyer earlier.  I'd concur there's an awful lot of fill in the home demos - it certainly would have been interesting to hear some of it done properly with Bob Ezrin.

In hindsight, I think (for me at least) where things fall over are in the early studio albums; they sound very weedy and thin from a production perspective.  I'm way more familiar with the bombastic element of the live album versions (irrespective of how much of a product of the studio they are).

I do love the live albums, even after finding out about the tinkering that went on.

Agreed regarding the production of the earlier albums, but I do have a soft spot for Dressed To Kill though. 

• Like 1