Why become a member? ×

Volume difference between strings

SteveXFR

I'm having trouble with volume difference between strings. When I'm with the band  my lowest string is nice and clear but the volume disappears as I move across the strings.

Im playing a Fender Mexican standard precision but it's tuned down to A# F A# D# and fitted with .130 .100 .080 .065 string guages. All four strings are the same height off the pickups. 

Any suggestions?

Tinker, tinker, and tinker again with the heights until satisfied. When I take a new bass to rehearsals I also take a screwdriver and adjust inbetween songs. 

On my Precisions I have the bridge saddles to match the radius of the neck, my pickup heights from the scratchplate are approximately:

E - 1.5mm

A - 6mm

D - 8mm

G - 5mm

This I’ve found is a good starting point for my playing style and I tweak from there.

3 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Tinker, tinker, and tinker again with the heights until satisfied. When I take a new bass to rehearsals I also take a screwdriver and adjust inbetween songs. 

On my Precisions I have the bridge saddles to match the radius of the neck, my pickup heights from the scratchplate are approximately:

E - 1.5mm

A - 6mm

D - 8mm

G - 5mm

This I’ve found is a good starting point for my playing style and I tweak from there.

That's a big difference between E and A. Maybe I that's where my problem is

Do you have the problem when you play without the band? If not, line up each member of the band and get them to start playing one by one, starting with the drummer, then you, then the rest of the musicians. When a musician starts to play and at that point you cannot hear yourself clearly, sack that musician.

Problem solved.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have the same problem with my sixer. The only way I could get it to sound anything like even was to lower the pickups at the low end, and raise them almost to the point of touching the strings at the high end. Then add compression to even things out. The rest of the set-up is fine, and I tried new strings. It didn't make any difference. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Use a compressor. 

The thing I have found that helps in these circumstances is using a tri band compressor. Surprisingly the one that worked best and was the most flexible to set up was the cheapest.... TC Electronic Spectracomp. 

The Captain East toneprint is a good start but if you need to tweak further you can plug in the laptop and there's plenty (too much!) of adjustments to be made.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, nilorius said:

The problem is such a big string downtuning.

I'm afraid that's where I need to be to work with the bands doomy music. There are quite a few bassists tuning P basses just as low or lower so it must be possible to make it work. 

I set mine the depth (string to pole piece gap) of 2x2p coins with string depressed on highest fret for E string, 1 coin depth for the G string....I'm a very gentle player though. 

I've recently had a MIMP pass thru my hands and no matter what I did the string to volume balance was ridiculous. Tried everything, ended up installing a new pup on that one which cured the issue. That said do the easy things first. 

I've got this badly with a brand-new Sterling Stingray HH with factory rounds on - lovely rich sound on the E & A strings, weak as gnat's pee on the D & G. Tried tilting the PUP heights, altering the amp and guitar settings, but no significant difference. Gave up on it halfway through the gig last night and reverted to my lovely USA Jazz Plus with La Bellas flats - oh why did I forsake her in the first place?

On 22/03/2023 at 20:27, SteveXFR said:

I can clearly see it when I record in to my DAW, the trace from my recording shows huge difference in wave amplitude between the low A# string and the others

If you tune that string either up or down by a bit just to test it does it still ring out? Maybe a resonance thing at a particular pitch.

Most pickups have flat surfaces and flat even pole pieces. A lot of basses have radius/curved string to fingerboard height so the E and G are usually nearer the pickup pole pieces while the A and D sit higher from the pole pieces to accommodate this fingerboard radius to string height. This has always been a problem and the probable reason why many Precision pickups are ‘angled’ so acutely to accommodate this discrepancy in string height / volumes. There are manufacturers who make pickups with radius contour, I have Delano radius pickups and DiMarzio jazz pickups have high adjustable pole pieces.