Why become a member? ×

Best Way to Fill Holes in Bass Body?

How1

I've just ripped the preamp out of my Charvel San Dimas and rewired it as passive - now it has a hole where the battery compartment used to be and two extra pot holes (pardon the pun). What's the best way to fill them? I'm not overly bothered about matching the finish or anything yet, just doing a good job on filling them.

It was 5 potholes, now it’s two after adding V/V/T pots.

This is it from the front (it’s currently got No Nails in it to stop any liquid (beer!) getting in it for the time being. I’m not at home at min and don’t have a picture, but the battery compartment is basically pretty neatly cut battery shaped hole! More or less untreated other than some primer from the body’s first coat (presumably).

It did cross my mind just to put the old pots in them and add control knobs, seemed a bit silly though adding dead controls.

599D6B71-C5F0-4EF0-845E-5C04F0E03D82.jpeg

Edited by How1

15 hours ago, tauzero said:

For the battery compartment, why not just put it back in without a battery?

To be honest, no reason whatsoever. I would just rather get it back to as much of a sold piece of wood as I can without any unnecessary bits. It would be a lot easier to put the battery compartment in, that’s probably why I don’t wanna do it 😂 

So far I think the doweling option is a good one for the front (and another sticker 👍). The kill switch could be handy though as well.

The Stingray style control plate option I like as well, but it sounds a bit beyond my capabilities/toolbox. I think for the back it’s gonna have to be wood cutting time though.

just out of curiosity, what would the series/parallel switch offer me? I’m not sure I’ve ever had or used one before.

Series/parallel means that in parallel mode the adjustments are like in an ordinary PJ. Series overrides the other vol and puts the pickups in series. You get another sound out of it.

If you override the tone (and maybe even vol pots), the higher end will be emphasized a little bit, and there's slight bump in volume.

With a rotary switch and some tinkering you can get few more sounds. I warn you though: many of the possibilities sound practically the same. You end up using one or two options the most. How do I know this...

The easiest/laziest and potentially most useful solution for the pots would be to put the ones you've taken off back on, but leave them unconnected. That way, it's completely reversible if you have a change of heart. 

A bonus of this method would be that whenever a pesky sound engineer or band member starts yelling at you because "you're too loud and too bassy" you can twiddle with both useless knobs, safe in the knowledge that your carefully crafted tone will remain unmolested. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, rushbo said:

The easiest/laziest and potentially most useful solution for the pots would be to put the ones you've taken off back on, but leave them unconnected. That way, it's completely reversible if you have a change of heart. 

A bonus of this method would be that whenever a pesky sound engineer or band member starts yelling at you because "you're too loud and too bassy" you can twiddle with both useless knobs, safe in the knowledge that your carefully crafted tone will remain unmolested. 

28 minutes ago, Gwilym said:

You can have two producer knobs in there for extra mojo.

The old Lee Sklar trick 👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/03/2023 at 18:14, EBS_freak said:

You could do a kill switch from the volume pot... or you could do two kill switches, one from each pickup - it could make for a weird intermittent tonal thing - and a total kill with both pressed... Dunno. 

The J pickup doesn’t get a huge amount of use, so I might just wire on to the p pickup. I’ll have a look into it. I’ve sealed & tidied it up for now, but nothing that can’t be undone if needs be.

12582D3C-B311-463C-B7BF-43EF66776346.jpeg

• Like 1