Why become a member? ×

The One You Let Go and Would Most Like Back

snorkie635

4 hours ago, 40hz said:

There's only one I truly regret and wish I could get back - that being my first 'proper' Bass I ever bought. It was a 1998 Yamaha TRB4II in that horrid orange colour. I went to Coda Music in Stevenage after saving £400 all summer (2003) long (as a scruffy 17 year old oik) to be able to buy it. I was stoked beyond belief and it felt like a spaceship compared to my Squier and Aria beginners instruments. I absolutely loved this thing and it's dearly sentimental to me.

It's popped up for sale a couple of times since at silly prices (and in worse condition and sporting some truly rank gold knobs and crappy aftermarket bridge), but I never had the funds.

Last one from 2 years ago.

https://reverb.com/uk/item/37224639-yamaha-trb-4-ii-1998-amber-transparent

8FK2166(?) Where are you now!

Good luck next time it surfaces. 👍

• Thanks 1

Not my thing hence why I moved it on, but I bought one of the early Mex RW sunburst Jazz basses. The light weight gave it an amazing quality feel and the sound was very good. The one I would buy back tonite is my old 75 natural ash P bass. Totally original, lightweight and thunderous....should never have sold it.

• Sad 1

A few from back in the day might remember me buying, selling, buying it back, selling it again….. I’m an idiot. It was easily the best bass I’ve ever owned, but I was so skint… I had to finally sell it, and I’ve missed it regularly since.

A Kinal MK5.

It was perfect. The perfect neck, and those Aero pickups….. sigh

8A69D1B2-5158-4151-8614-3ACB71B38494.png

ED2F8073-FC25-463E-91B0-36DCDAABCDA7.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A few - all guitars!

1) 1974 Gibson SG Special that had been modded with a middle p/u

2) Gibson Firebird, late 90's, with banjo pegs

3) Gibson Les Paul premium plus in wine red, late 90's - played like a dream

4) Ibanez RG440 Roadster, Floyd Rose trem, push/push coil tap on the bridge p/u

• Sad 1

There was one cheap bass that i traded in at a local crack converters.  Probably not worth much but since has become something that would be sentimental now.  It was a Samick Artist Series bass but in a colour/style i havent seen before.  Its exactly the same as this picture of one for sale in Turkey of all places.

I bought it from Sam's Guitars in Bangor, North Wales when i was working on Anglesey around 1999/2000 and sold it in bolton around 2001/2002

x5_1068366130ol2.jpg

• Like 1

Not a high end bass (and really I've only ever owned one of those) but I miss the Fender Modern Player Short Scale Jazz Bass I sold about 18 months ago. They are somewhat rare, and it would have suited the band I play in. I never even gigged with it! A good looker too.

20211113_214310.jpg

20211113_214007.jpg

• Like 2

I've lost count of the basses I've owned over 45 year's of playing: Everything from the sublime to the ridiculous. I enjoyed them all (in one way or another) but have come to the realisation I don't miss any of them.

At the end of the day they were just things -  instruments, tools of the trade or a means of expressing my musicality if you like.

I've always considered the name of the player much more important than the name on the headstock.

I'm weird.

1 hour ago, White Cloud said:

I've lost count of the basses I've owned over 45 year's of playing: Everything from the sublime to the ridiculous. I enjoyed them all (in one way or another) but have come to the realisation I don't miss any of them.

At the end of the day they were just things -  instruments, tools of the trade or a means of expressing my musicality if you like.

I've always considered the name of the player much more important than the name on the headstock.

I'm weird.

No you're not. I get it. I have been playing for 49 years and for me, many were just 'basses'. 😎

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

there are a couple I'd like to play again now to see if I still think they're awesome...

I had a Samick 5 string Saturn bass in a weird dark green with crackles of gold type finish, loved that thing, think I chopped it in towards a...

Warwick NT thumb 5, stunning machine, not the sound I needed then but very tempted to try again now

Also had a lovely Fender J with natural ash body and maple board, smelled amazing in that new Fender way but it was too early in my journey for me to know about setting it up to suit me and couldn't get on with it...foolishly let that go

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

I moved on a MIJ 75RI jazz a while back.  Advertised it on here but think it eventually went on FB Marketplace.  Whilst it weighed an absolute tonne and was very (naturally) gig battered ive really regretted it ever since.  There is one on Fender Fever at the moment but mine looked great with its natural roadware and the upgraded Wizard pickups.  Id love it back :(

Edited by Pow_22
  • Sad 1

A while back I sold all my musical equipment that I wasn't using, and while it would have been nice to hang on to a lot of it, they would have just sat in their cases or gathered dust on stands in between me picking them up to have the occasional noodle. In a way I was lucky because I had built up a collection of almost 50 guitars and basses and was therefore able to make exact comparisons between all of them to decide what I actually needed and what was just nice to own. These days I only have a few instruments that aren't of immediate use, and on the whole I'm more musically focused for it.

15 minutes ago, spencer.b said:

My Wal , then I'd sell it !!

Very good point, I had one very briefly in the early 80s, thought it was total shlt and got rid of it pronto..

If only I'd known I'd have stashed it under the bed for 40 yrs.. and flogged it now for 6 grand or whatever stupid price they are.. 

• Thanks 1

I parted with my Wal Pro 1e in the 90's. It was the nicest bass I've played, feel-wise, but it didn't have the guts I wanted onstage and so I sold it on when I got another one that did the trick. Obviously it would have been a good idea to keep it (knowing what we know now), but I didn't 'collect' basses then.

• Like 1