Why become a member? ×

The One You Let Go and Would Most Like Back

snorkie635

17 hours ago, Rich said:

Sei Flamboyant 5 string. It was a stunning instrument -- I mean, just look at it -- but I couldn't get the setup right, so in a fit of pique I sold it. What an utter knob.

Piezo bridge, Schack eq, Bart pickups (wasn't super-keen on them, but that's an easy fix), blue edge LEDs and a whole forest of stunning walnut. I should have given it to a luthier and got them to do it properly, hell I should have taken it home to Camden -- a decent setup and a set of Delanos and it would have been simply perfect. It was beautifully made, felt great to play (apart from my crap set-up job) and the sound was to die for. I often kick myself, very hard, for letting that one go. Arrrgh.

Ouch (just kicked myself again).

sei.jpg.b6d2432a4b0b40b6eb6e5438ee5a9263.jpg

Even I'd kick you for that one! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, BassTractor said:

I feel your pain.
In fact, for me it was two of each, so I feel your pain twice. 😁

The Bongos were Dargie Delights, one a 4-HH of gen. 1 ('06-'07) and one a 4-HS of gen. 2 ('09)
The Rays were a Neptune Blue 4-H PDN from '14 and a '95 5-H fretless.
I loved the Bongos to bits with their looks, ergonomics and 4-band EQ, but it's the Rays I miss mostly, especially the fretless one.

Other MMs I sold aren't missed - in part coz they went for getting the above ones.

"Oof!, Ouch!, Yaroo!" and other such comment from the Beano.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 23/03/2023 at 14:27, Waddo Soqable said:

The Wal I found horrible to play, for some reason the neck / fretboard etc was most uncomfortable, and it was somehow awkward or difficult to play stuff I could breeze on anything else, difficult to quantify but it was just nasty!.. bear in mind I'm one of the least fussy or moany players and will normally just crack on with it. 

It also sounded a bit ¢rap compared to other stuff I'd been using. 

This Wal was I assume the cheapest most basic one they did, it was badged Wal Pro as I recall, and was black / rosewood board, 2 pick up (passive I think.) I had it in 1981 and it didn't look to be very old at the time. 

Ahem. Speaking as the owner of a similarly cheap and basic crap-sounding nasty Wal Pro of the same era (sounds like yours was a Pro 2, if it was passive), you're right in that the neck isn't for everyone. It's a very pronounced > profile (obviously it doesn't go to a point, but you get the idea) rather than a D like pretty much every other bass I've ever played. When I first tried it back in 1986 it felt properly weird but I soon got used to it (and its crap sound...) and it's stayed with me ever since. It's like a family member now.

Edited by Rich
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

Ahem. Speaking as the owner of a similarly cheap and basic crap-sounding nasty Wal Pro of the same era (sounds like yours was a Pro 2, if it was passive), you're right in that the neck isn't for everyone. It's a very pronounced > profile (obviously it doesn't go to a point, but you get the idea) rather than a  like pretty much every other bass I've ever played. When I first tried it back in 1986 it felt properly weird but I soon got used to it (and its crap sound...) and it's stayed with me ever since. It's like a family member now.

Pro 2 does kinda ring a bell now you mention it, full marks for persevering with yours, good decision £ wise as it turns out! 

The one I had was in my possession a matter of weeks or so before I very happily got shot of it,  could only afford to have one bass on the go at any one time in those days. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Pro 2 does kinda ring a bell now you mention it, full marks for persevering with yours, good decision £ wise as it turns out! 

The one I had was in my possession a matter of weeks or so before I very happily got shot of it,  could only afford to have one bass on the go at any one time in those days. 

Afraid I have to agree with Waddo on the Pro 2. It had knobs which attached via a thin plastic double spindle. These, of course, kept breaking, and needed to be removed by using a hot needle to melt into the remaining broken plastic, allowing it to be pulled out of the pot mechanism. I was forever buying more from Pete the Fish, until I sold it for £150. Still made a profit on it though, as I bought it for £50 from a guy who was sick of it. (You read that correctly - fifty quid). Could never get a decent sound out of any Wal I owned. However, if Rich views his as part of the family, then I am delighted for him. 👍🤗

• Like 1

Bass wise a 90's reissue Epiphone Rivoli in Cherry Red which i sold to an Irish band called the Sea Pinks.  Too many an amp to mention - Ampeg Sb12, Sound City 200 Mk3, Ampeg SVT II non pro, Ampeg SVT III Non pro....

• Thanks 1

On 24/03/2023 at 13:46, Pow_22 said:

Bass wise a 90's reissue Epiphone Rivoli in Cherry Red which i sold to an Irish band called the Sea Pinks.  Too many an amp to mention - Ampeg Sb12, Sound City 200 Mk3, Ampeg SVT II non pro, Ampeg SVT III Non pro....

I wonder if The Sea Pinks are still gigging. If so, you have a chance of re-connecting with your bass. 👍

On 17/03/2023 at 17:34, snorkie635 said:

We've most likely all got a bass we sold/swapped/'lost' due to a bout of acute GAS or such madness. I'll start my confession with the fact that I once had a 40th anniversary Fender CS Precision which was a wonderful machine. Alas, it's long gone, but will never be forgotten. Why, oh why?

There are times I do such stupid things. Which bass do you regret parting company with? Photos?

CDD3DE71-F4C2-43C9-ADA8-63311C88CBF5.jpeg

Wow! Forgive me if this has been asked elsewhere in this topic, but I couldn't be bothered to scroll through all 6 pages for the answer. I've never seen that model before, nor was I aware it even exists. Does that have the Kubicki preamp and the 32" scale of the first Urge model? It looks very similar. Not meaning to rub it in, but that looks incredible. 

• Like 1

I can only think of 2 I have sellers remorse for at the moment.

First would be the Sparkle Blue MIJ Steve Harris signature, the ones that came out around 2009-ish.  Sold to @SH73 on here if I remember correctly.  Ended up getting one of the WHU crest ones recently.

Second would be my very first Bass, a Marlin Slammer precision copy.  Played terribly I'm sure, but I didn't know the difference back then.  Bought it for £25.  Would love to have that up on the wall!!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

Wow! Forgive me if this has been asked elsewhere in this topic, but I couldn't be bothered to scroll through all 6 pages for the answer. I've never seen that model before, nor was I aware it even exists. Does that have the Kubicki preamp and the 32" scale of the first Urge model? It looks very similar. Not meaning to rub it in, but that looks incredible. 

Hello Lefty,

it looks a little bit like an Urge but under the hood, it had an 'ordinary' Fender 2 band system if I remember correctly and the pickups were specially wound for this model only. The neck was stunning bird's eye and the photo doesn't do the quilt justice. This model sort of flew under the radar a bit. I have never seen anything from Fender other than one magazine advert which ran at the time it was made. It was asplso fitted behind the headstock with a 'Fathead' sustain plate. My screen is now covered in tears. 😂

Just now, snorkie635 said:

Hello Lefty,

it looks a little bit like an Urge but under the hood, it had an 'ordinary' Fender 2 band system if I remember correctly and the pickups were specially wound for this model only. The neck was stunning bird's eye and the photo doesn't do the quilt justice. This model sort of flew under the radar a bit. I have never seen anything from Fender other than one magazine advert which ran at the time it was made. It was asplso fitted behind the headstock with a 'Fathead' sustain plate. My screen is now covered in tears. 😂

Forgot to mention it was standard Fender scale length. Sorry.

2 minutes ago, LewisK1975 said:

I can only think of 2 I have sellers remorse for at the moment.

First would be the Sparkle Blue MIJ Steve Harris signature, the ones that came out around 2009-ish.  Sold to @SH73 on here if I remember correctly.  Ended up getting one of the WHU crest ones recently.

Second would be my very first Bass, a Marlin Slammer precision copy.  Played terribly I'm sure, but I didn't know the difference back then.  Bought it for £25.  Would love to have that up on the wall!!

Yes, the first 'cheappie' basses are the one's you can never replace. I think they simply vanish into bass Valhalla at some point, gaining legendary status.

• Like 2

There are 4 I regret selling. The first is my first ever bass, a black Marlin Slammer. I wish I had that still so it could hang on my studio wall. Secondly my refinished 1964 Precision bass. It was completely refinished but still a little tatty. Thirdly, my Yamaha TRB6p Mk 1 bass. I loved that thing so much and still can’t remember why I moved it on. I played some very big gigs with that beauty. Never found it after much searching. Finally, my Mike Lull PJ5. A stunning bass and another bass that I played some cool shows with. All 4 have huge sentimental meaning for me. What a plonker. The things we do eh? 

Edited by mattbass6
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, mattbass6 said:

There are 4 I regret selling. The first is my first ever bass, a black Marlin Slammer. I wish I had that still so it hang on my studio wall. Secondly my refinished 1964 Precision bass. It was completely refinished but still a little tatty. Thirdly, my Yamaha TRB6p Mk 1 bass. I loved that thing so much and still can’t remember why I moved it on. I played some very big gigs with that beauty. Never found it after much searching. Finally, my Mike Lull PJ5. A stunning bass and another bass that I played some cool shows with. All 4 have huge sentimental meaning for me. What a plonker. The things we do eh? 

Yes. It defies any logic. Maybe one day, at least one may 'surface'

• Like 1

On 20/03/2023 at 14:54, StickyDBRmf said:

My first bass. It's a Jazz sunburst tort maple neck / the big block inlays. '73.IMG_20230320_144225867.thumb.jpg.d3ac23c6d078c40f0b9672d8556b8987.jpg

I just made myself sick by going back and figuring out what this bass cost new. $250.00 US total w/ hardshell case. It was a Christmas present from mum&dad. With trade of my Fender Mustang guitar orange w/ red racing stripe. I eventually sold it to a friend for $200. Then I looked at what people are asking for in the used/vintage market. 

Seriously I would like to have one, but it wouldn't be worth more than $500 to me. I know how it played and what it sounded like. I can get that out of my $200 ESP LTD.

Nostalgia is weird. 

• Thanks 1

On 31/03/2023 at 11:35, LeftyJ said:

Just remembered that it also had a 3-position control on it as well, but can't for the life of me, remember what it actually did. Also came in a tweed case. Sorry to be so vague, it was a while ago, but I still miss it (a lot). Last spotted in Guitar Guitar up in Edinburgh, I believe.

9 minutes ago, snorkie635 said:

Just remembered that it also had a 3-position control on it as well, but can't for the life of me, remember what it actually did. Also came in a tweed case. Sorry to be so vague, it was a while ago, but I still miss it (a lot). Last spotted in Guitar Guitar up in Edinburgh, I believe.

You're pretty damn near describing the Kubicki preamp :)

https://reverb.com/item/26180491-kubicki-preamp-from-fender-jazz-bass-plus-1992 

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/03/2023 at 19:50, ezbass said:

My RB4 was deep red but not quite CAR.

On 18/03/2023 at 11:38, snorkie635 said:

There's an Overwater 7 on the for sale section which is an exceptional bass. Worth a look?

It's gone now anyhow. Bipbip sent me a PM to let me know. I wonder if there's a giant store-hanger full of seven-string basses?

There's only one I truly regret and wish I could get back - that being my first 'proper' Bass I ever bought. It was a 1998 Yamaha TRB4II in that horrid orange colour. I went to Coda Music in Stevenage after saving £400 all summer (2003) long (as a scruffy 17 year old oik) to be able to buy it. I was stoked beyond belief and it felt like a spaceship compared to my Squier and Aria beginners instruments. I absolutely loved this thing and it's dearly sentimental to me.

It's popped up for sale a couple of times since at silly prices (and in worse condition and sporting some truly rank gold knobs and crappy aftermarket bridge), but I never had the funds.

Last one from 2 years ago.

https://reverb.com/uk/item/37224639-yamaha-trb-4-ii-1998-amber-transparent

8FK2166(?) Where are you now!

Edited by 40hz