Why become a member? ×

Strings ordered via Amazon US

BillyBass

I ordered three packs of DR strings from Amazon.com. (i.e. the American Amazon).  They cost me $102.80 (roughly £85 to £86) which is considerably less than I would have paid Strings Direct.  Ordered on Sunday 5th March, arrived Tuesday 14th March.  Amazon US included the VAT in the transaction and I was not asked to pay customs duties.

I've had a $100 gift voucher in a US Amazon account for a couple of years.  My brother lives over there and he wanted to put a Christmas present in my UK Amazon account but he cocked it up and I acquired an American Amazon account.  Not knowing what to buy for $100 that would be cheaper than buying here, I didn't use it.  That is until I thought of buying strings.

If you buy stuff from the same seller, the postage is cheaper and, as I found out, can be cheaper than getting it over here.

• Like 1

I bought a brand new Juki HZL120 for my wife from Amazon US, cost just under £600 including shipping and 'built in' taxes, whereas the UK retail price pretty much everywhere is £975, all it needed was a US/UK adapter (which Amazon covered the cost of!) and we saved £375. Some things are cheaper to bring in from The States for some odd reason...

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

I bought a brand new Juke HZL120 for my wife from Amazon US, cost just under £600 including shipping and 'built in' taxes, whereas the UK retail price pretty much everywhere is £975, all it needed was a US/UK adapter (which Amazon covered the cost of!) and we saved £375. Some things are cheaper to bring in from The States for some odd reason...

I think we pay quite a bit extra for American goods.  The manufacturers never know how much the exchange rate will vary so they err on the side of caution and add more to our price.  I would think twice before buying something with a warranty I wanted, like an expensive Mesa head, but American strings or pedals are possibilities.

1 hour ago, binky_bass said:

I bought a brand new Juke HZL120 for my wife from Amazon US, cost just under £600 including shipping and 'built in' taxes, whereas the UK retail price pretty much everywhere is £975, all it needed was a US/UK adapter (which Amazon covered the cost of!) and we saved £375. Some things are cheaper to bring in from The States for some odd reason...

A Nissan Juke for £600...? Did it come in an Amazon box?

I could have saved a tenner by getting my last set of Elixirs from Amazon rather than Strings Direct. But as far as I'm aware, Strings Direct pay their UK tax and don't treat their employees like dirt, so SD will get my money every time.

*opens potential can of worms*

• Haha 1

The reason it is cheaper in many cases (not specifically amazon, I don't order from there) is you have nothing like the protection that you get here. Probably doesn't matter with strings, but things cost more here due to protections that we take for granted, like over a year warantee instead of 3 months etc.

Last time my wife went back home to the States for a visit I ordered a load of stuff, including strings, from Sweetwater to be sent to her mother's house. It was cheaper than I'd have spent over here, and I got free sweets with it, which was nice. Looking forward to getting over there myself and ordering more. Or I could go into a Guitar Center I suppose, if I really have to. 

US company Strings and Beyond are currently selling D’Addario EXL Twin Packs for $19.99.

That equates to around £8.50 a set! 

P&P is around £15 I believe, so if you’re buying a few it’s a good saving. However, bear in

mind that you may get stung for some import duty over here. From my experience this

is not every time,but obviously still a consideration before ordering. 

One of the reasons may be the American purchase tax system. It’s charged according to the State but is you live in another you don’t pay. All prices are quoted without tax which gets added on afterwards. My daughter lives in California, if they buy from a store in New York, no tax, buy locally pay tax. What is that about, it’s nuts! 

• Confused 1