Why become a member? ×

The Big Fat South-West Bass Bash 2023

scrumpymike

19 minutes ago, petecarlton said:

Who organised that one? I've only been to Doveridge and last year in Snottingham. 

Yes I recall you from dove ridge 

Nottingham is too far, given kids and responsibilities …

and I don’t want to get shot 

I'm hoping to come along again this year as I've thoroughly enjoyed previous editions. I will probably bring along some or all of these:

1978 Fretless Fender Jazz

1969 Fender Telecaster

Ibanez SRF700

1964 Epiphone Rivoli (If I still have it, currently for sale on this forum)

BC112 cab

Home brew 1x10" cab with G&K MB500 amp

Remind me, are there any plans for a shootout this time?

Updated list as at 15/08/2023.

21 minutes ago, basstone said:

Remind me, are there any plans for a shootout this time?

@Phil Starr did float the idea of an amp shootout this year rather than a cab one, which I reckon is a great plan. There's a delicious array of amps in the who's-bringing-what list so far.

Edited by Rich
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rich said:

Phil did moot the idea of an amp shootout this year rather than a cab one, which I reckon is a great plan. There's a delicious array of amps in the who's-bringing-what list so far.

Yes that would be interesting. I wonder if there are any Basschat homebrew amps out there?

4 hours ago, Rich said:

@Phil Starr did float the idea of an amp shootout this year rather than a cab one, which I reckon is a great plan. There's a delicious array of amps in the who's-bringing-what list so far.

I'm in your hands but it might be interesting, We've done speakers for the last two bashes, though I suspect the amps will be less varied, we might be surprised though.

• Like 2

hi, noob (to BC) here; will make every effort to join you folks at the SWBB (sheesh, everything's an effort at my age!) - i'm sole carer for senior family now, so definite arrangements a thing of the past, at the mo'

Transport is an issue, too, so i'm likely to be a lightweight on the gear front, but hoping to bring at least fretless Sinsonido & Ubass, Palmer Pocket Bass Preamp- and, if logistics allow, i might manage my venerable '60s electro-acoustic Hagstrom Concord Bass, and a Behringer MPA40TB, too

hope to be able to join the Bash and look forward to meeting you folks 

Edited by sandy_r
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, sandy_r said:

hi, noob (to BC) here; will make every effort to join you folks at the SWBB (sheesh, everything's an effort at my age!) - i'm sole carer for senior family now, so definite arrangements a thing of the past, at the mo'

Transport is an issue, too, so i'm likely to be a lightweight on the gear front, but hoping to bring at least fretless Sinsonido & Ubass, Palmer Pocket Bass Preamp- and, if logistics allow, i might manage my venerable '60s electro-acoustic Hagstrom Concord Bass, and a Behringer MPA40TB, too

hope to be able to join the Bash and look forward to meeting you folks 

Hi Sandy, you will of course be more than welcome. Hope you can make it, it's a great day. Whereabouts will you be travelling from?

37 minutes ago, Rich said:

Hi Sandy, you will of course be more than welcome. Hope you can make it, it's a great day. Whereabouts will you be travelling from?

Thanks Rich, it does sound good!  I'll be travelling from one side or t'other of the Hants-Dorset border depending on my carer duties for the day

• Like 1

I know it's 47 days to go, but tonight I dragged out my holdall of ironmongery (stands) which hasn't been touched since I moved house 5 ish years ago.  Pleased to report that I have enough stands for the number of basses I'm taking.  Happy days :)

Spooky coincidental fact - there's a 'Spoons song called "47 Days", but it's not about anticipating a bass bash.

16 minutes ago, neepheid said:

...tonight I dragged out my holdall of ironmongery (stands) which hasn't been touched since I moved house 5 ish years ago.  Pleased to report that I have enough stands for the number of basses I'm taking.  Happy days :)

...never mind the ironmongery, there's a serious shortage of white puddins 'n butteries, down here, man! 

Let's play a game.  I've just ordered a bass and as long as the courier doesn't turn it into toothpicks, I will take it to the bash.

I will give clues.  I will try to make them progressively easier as we go.

Clue 1: It's second hand, and not currently available new AFAIK.

16 minutes ago, MichaelDean said:

That's a pretty open first clue! There are a lot of basses that aren't available new... Epiphone Thunderbird Vintage Pro in white?

A good guess but not right!  I should clarify my first clue to say that it's not currently available in any finish.

Clue 2: It's made from a famous, but infrequently used wood.

Edited by neepheid

2 hours ago, neepheid said:

A good guess but not right!  I should clarify my first clue to say that it's not currently available in any finish.

Clue 2: It's made from a famous, but infrequently used wood.

Is the wood oak by any chance? If so, I'm going with an Aria.

Edited by snorkie635