Why become a member? ×

What are my options for a 4 ohms cab?

Linus27

I might need to get a 4 ohms cab to run with a Little Giant 1000. Only going to be using one of the two 500 watts so I need a 4 ohms cab that can cope with this. Idealy I would like a 2 x 12 to keep things small and simple but open to other options like a 3 x 10 or a 4 x 10. So far, this is all I have come up with.

Epifani UL 212
EBS Neo 212
Peavy 412 TVX

Any other 4 ohms cabs I can add to my list? They also all seem to be rather expensive.

[quote name='bassbloke' post='473469' date='Apr 27 2009, 04:30 PM']I may be to help.

I selling a Tech ND212s. 4 Ohms. 600 Watts.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=47028"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=47028[/url]

Let me know if you're interested.[/quote]

Yes I might well be. I am testing the Little Giant tonight to see if its a goer or not.

I have never heard of Techamp before. Saying that, half of the bass cab manufacturers I have never heard off either :) What sort of sound do they give?

[quote name='Linus27' post='473481' date='Apr 27 2009, 04:42 PM']Yes I might well be. I am testing the Little Giant tonight to see if its a goer or not.

I have never heard of Techamp before. Saying that, half of the bass cab manufacturers I have never heard off either :) What sort of sound do they give?[/quote]

Wicked. Serious amounts of punch and bottom end and not at all peaky.

[quote name='Linus27' post='473481' date='Apr 27 2009, 04:42 PM']Yes I might well be. I am testing the Little Giant tonight to see if its a goer or not.

I have never heard of Techamp before. Saying that, half of the bass cab manufacturers I have never heard off either :) What sort of sound do they give?[/quote]

Techamp cabs are superb! I've got one of their earlier cabs, from when they were still known as techsoundsystems. Thinking of moving that on if you're interested, 2x10 Neo cab. The XT version too which boosts its power handling to 650W

*edit* Make that 700W

Edited by josh3184

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='473607' date='Apr 27 2009, 07:12 PM']Not sure sensitivity is too big an issue with 1000w at your disposal. I'd guess dinky cabs that you can just keep cranking without them dying would be the true path.[/quote]

Indeed. And the only advantage of a 4 ohm cab is to get more power out of an amp that can't generate enough voltage to drive the speakers to full excursion, which means it's only relevant with very low power amps or cabs with tons of excursion limited power handling.

Alex

Well, I tried the Little Giant 1000 and I have decided against it. A lovely peice of kit, and sounds very good but not a patch on my MAG300H head. The MAG just sounded so much more alive, punchier with a much better scope of sound. The Little Giant was too limited. Both heads were tested back to back through my MAG 1 x 15 cab.

So this has left me back at square one. I am half tempted to just go for the MAG 600H EVO II Head and the MAG 410T. Maybe even go for the ABM range but I understand that has a different sound to the MAG range which may be a bad move if I like the MAG sound. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

[quote name='Linus27' post='473465' date='Apr 27 2009, 04:26 PM']I might need to get a 4 ohms cab to run with a Little Giant 1000. Only going to be using one of the two 500 watts so I need a 4 ohms cab that can cope with this. Idealy I would like a 2 x 12 to keep things small and simple but open to other options like a 3 x 10 or a 4 x 10. So far, this is all I have come up with.

Epifani UL 212
EBS Neo 212
Peavy 412 TVX

Any other 4 ohms cabs I can add to my list? They also all seem to be rather expensive.[/quote]

Schroeder 1212L.

I had a UL212 and as nice as it was, i found it a bit, um, soft i guess. I did loads of gigs with it and it copped well with most of them but as my other rig was a LMII/1210R i always missed the punchy mids.
When i sold it (on here) and got a 1212L i instantly noticed more volume and also more punch. Slightly less deep lows but better tight lows where it counts.
playing the same gigs now with the 1212L i have the amp lower but still i can be too loud. It also seems to handle hollow stages a bit better, i guess because it doesn't have the low end getting muddy.

Just my opinion though. There are clips of me using it on the Blowup website (link below).

As you know i had (and still have i think) a MAG 307 C-115 and also had a ABM for a short while and i never liked the ABM. Yes, it does have a different tone but i felt it lacked the punch of my MAG (this was with the same cab). I felt the MAG was a bit more solid sounding with a nice boost around 100hz that the ABM doesn't have.
I also found the ABM to be quieter, even though both are rated almost the same. Not tried the 500watt version though.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Linus27' post='473655' date='Apr 27 2009, 08:03 PM']Oh well, back to the drawing board.[/quote]
Have you tried the Hartke LH's mate? I moved from an ABM EVOII to an LH1000 and it's just great. A good 8 ohm cab will cane a 4 ohm too.

Edited by johnnylager

[quote name='johnnylager' post='474085' date='Apr 28 2009, 11:42 AM']Have you tried the Hartke LH's mate? I moved from an ABM EVOII to an LH1000 and it's just great. A good 8 ohm cab will cane a 4 ohm too.[/quote]

Last thing I knew, he was trying my LH500 tomorrow night. Though it sounds like he might have moved on.

S.P.

• 6 months later...

Hi Josh,

Have you still got the Techsoundsystm 2x10 cab xt version? I ask as I annoyingly missed the brilliant new 2x10 tecamp cab retailing at £399! At guitatguitar.co.uk which a few of our forum lads bought just recently as they had fantastic deals on them just recently but all sold out. They even had the 2x12 cab at £399!

Anyway, If you are still wanting to get rid of yours,. depending on the price, I might just take it off your hands and I can pick it up from you in lancashir. often gigged there.

Let me know either way.

Cheers
Kalim

[quote name='josh3184' post='473521' date='Apr 27 2009, 05:24 PM']Techamp cabs are superb! I've got one of their earlier cabs, from when they were still known as techsoundsystems. Thinking of moving that on if you're interested, 2x10 Neo cab. The XT version too which boosts its power handling to 650W

*edit* Make that 700W[/quote]

I've just gone down the LG1000 head route, and I was lucky to get the Superfly 484 cab that goes with it at a steal price. The 484 is a superb cab, but it does limit what you can do with the head. Basically the cab is split in two like the LG heads. Each side is two 8" drivers running at 4ohms. This means you can get the full 1000 watts from the LG head, but you can't run any other cabs with it even though it has speakon connectors to do this. The only way to do this would be to have a head that could handle 2 ohms, and the LG obviously can't.

Tonally the 484 can handle the lows very well, but has a very strong lower mid range punch voicing. It's easy to carry, and has a good small size making it a perfect compromise between power and ease of use. If was to make a suggestion, I would choose to get 8 ohm cabinets instead of 4ohm. Three reasons really...

1. it will allow you a more flexible cabinet combination in the long run. For example 1x15 and 2x10 on one side, with the same on the other. Or something totally ridiculous like four 1x18 with 2 on each side! You get the picture :)

2. I would imagine 8ohm cabinets would have a better re-sale value to them, given that 4ohms is quite a specific usage and not everyone wants them.

3. During a recent gig, my new head had a channel go down, there was a signal going in, but nothing coming out on the right side. I could run the left side at the full 500 watts because I had the 484, which was lucky and plenty loud enough as it happens. If I'd had two 4ohm cabinets for each side as you're suggesting, I would of been sunk to the 500 watts for the one side, but left with only one cabinet! At least in a scenario like this, you could run 2 8 ohm cabinets together and still get 500 watts but keeping more tonally control etc. Does that make sense? I know you'd still only have 500 watts if everything was working okay using two 8 ohm cabs, but at least you'd cover your bases.

Just some thoughts and user experience. Hope it helps?

Edited by derrenleepoole