Why become a member? ×

Any suggestions for a 1 x 8" cab for practice?

Bass Culture

I'm trying to put a set-up together that I can stick in the corner of our lounge to have a tinker downstairs when the mmod takes me (phnarr, phnarr...), so size is central consideration.  I have a couple of 1 x 10's for rehearsals and gigs so it really only be needed for lower volume playing, and will be paired with a Warwick Gnome.  Anyone know of any sensibly priced options put there? Thanks.

Thanks, both, for your replies.  @TheGreek- that Schroeder cab looks brilliant, but probable too much (money!) for the specific role I ave in mind for it.

@Phil Starr- I've read so many of your cab build threads and have often found myself wondering whether I could 'grow a pair' and try one.  My woodworking skills are pretty limited and I don't really own the tools to make a good enough job of it, but I'm sorely tempted to have a go at this one.  The difficulty for me would be to get the panels cut accurately and neatly.  I think, with care, I could assemble and secure them. I guess I'd need to try to find someone in the Chester area with a CNC machine who could cut them for me. 

Edited by Bass Culture

2 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

Headphones ? Problem solved 

This!

A good set of studio grade (meaning FRFR) headphones with a decent cab sim in front is going to do a much better job at representing the sound of the bass, and at a lower cost, than any decent 1 x 8" cab.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2

i've never got used to usng headphnes, to be honest.  I tend to simply play along to tracks I stream through my stereo, hence the requirement for a small practice cab.  I say 'practice' but I'm not really talking about dedicated practice or exercises so much as simply playing along to anything Spotify chucks my way when I'm chilling.  I take the same approach to learning a new song when it's needed too.

Edited by Bass Culture

27 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Is the difference between a 1x10 and a 1x8 really worth spending money on or taking the trouble to build something? A 1x10 is pretty compact, after all.

Maybe, maybe not.  My 1 x 10's (Purple Chili customs) are pretty compact but size is definitely a factor as this set up will stay in our sitting room and needs to be as unobtrusive as possible.  Phil's cab looks quite a bit smaller in every dimension and that will be extremely advantageous - certainly as Mrs Culture is concerned.

37 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Because I'm not great at woodwork, I went to https://www.woodsheets.com/ and got everything cut to size for the 1x6, which cost about £30 with postage. That just leaves the issue of cutting out a round hole, which I didn't do entirely successfully but it was good enough.

Brilliant, thank you; precisley what I would need to do, I think.  Did that price include the wood or did you have to send that to them in the first instance?  How did the build go after that?  

Edited by Bass Culture

49 minutes ago, Bass Culture said:

Brilliant, thank you; precisley what I would need to do, I think.  Did that price include the wood or did you have to send that to them in the first instance?  How did the build go after that?  

That included the wood. B&Q stores do free cutting for five cuts, then 50p/cut afterwards, not sure if that's all of them and you'd need to inspect the available wood to get the best: https://www.diy.com/services/timber-cutting

As for the build:

16 minutes ago, tauzero said:

That included the wood. B&Q stores do free cutting for five cuts, then 50p/cut afterwards, not sure if that's all of them and you'd need to inspect the available wood to get the best: https://www.diy.com/services/timber-cutting

As for the build:

Many thanks - much appreciated. BC

10 hours ago, Bass Culture said:

Thanks, both, for your replies.  @TheGreek- that Schroeder cab looks brilliant, but probable too much (money!) for the specific role I ave in mind for it.

@Phil Starr- I've read so many of your cab build threads and have often found myself wondering whether I could 'grow a pair' and try one.  My woodworking skills are pretty limited and I don't really own the tools to make a good enough job of it, but I'm sorely tempted to have a go at this one.  The difficulty for me would be to get the panels cut accurately and neatly.  I think, with care, I could assemble and secure them. I guess I'd need to try to find someone in the Chester area with a CNC machine who could cut them for me. 

Some of the bigger B&Q stores have machines for cutting sheet materials, you might also be able to find a timber merchant who will do it though they are becoming scarcer nowadays. At one time most hardware stores would have a saw bench and charge 50p a cut.

Edited by Phil Starr
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

Some of the bigger B&Q stores have machines for cutting sheet materials, you might also be able to find a timber merchant who will do it though they are becoming scarcer nowadays. At one time most hardware stores would have a saw bench and charge 50p a cut.

Now you mention it, I'm pretty sure my local B&Q does - or at least did - offer this service. I'll check.

19 hours ago, tauzero said:

Because I'm not great at woodwork, I went to https://www.woodsheets.com/ and got everything cut to size for the 1x6, which cost about £30 with postage. That just leaves the issue of cutting out a round hole, which I didn't do entirely successfully but it was good enough.

Woodsheets is a good shout, I hadn't come across them before. Looks like they would cut out the speaker and port holes too, at a price. Did you try and send the plans or did you just specify dimensions. If you could get all the cutouts done then a kit for a speaker build at around £50 wouldn't be a bad price.

Building is cool and lots of fun, but an 8" active PA speaker could be easier. Obviously a cheaper one will not fight with drummers, but for this specific purpose I would certainly be considering one - especially 2nd hand. I picked up a 2nd hand QSC K10.2 (too big, I know) for £350 and am wondering why I did not go in that direction sooner.

2 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

Woodsheets is a good shout, I hadn't come across them before. Looks like they would cut out the speaker and port holes too, at a price. Did you try and send the plans or did you just specify dimensions. If you could get all the cutouts done then a kit for a speaker build at around £50 wouldn't be a bad price.

I just specified dimensions. The port hole isn't so bad, hole saws of that diameter are readily available, but in hindsight I'm sure I could have done a better job on the speaker cut-out.

• Like 1

On 07/03/2023 at 09:47, pineweasel said:

Phil Jones C2 maybe? Not a 1x8 but sounds ideal for the job.

I use a C2 at home for low volume practice. A bit pricey , but lovely sounding cab , not gig suitable by itself.

01A31590-4F2C-46D0-A609-116ABF4205D9.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for the additional replies, folks. Defintely thinking about the buiild route as the price difference between that and the most suitable alternative (probably the C2) is substantial.  There's been some great suggestions - thanks for all the input so far.