Why become a member? ×

Stingray Classic Neck Movement

northcountrybob

Hello All, 

I'm sure I've read about this somewhere but just wanted to get the forums take. I use a stingray classic 2EQ. Red with the glossy flame maple neck. 

A few times I've picked it up now and needed to adjust the truss rod as strings will be choking out. Once after a drive back south from Scotland, and again a few months later getting it out the hardcase for a soundcheck, then again this weekend in the studio. Prior to this weekend the bass had been in our storage unit (post-tour) which gets quite cold, while it normally resides in my house. 

Is it just the case that Stingray necks are a bit susceptible to climate changes? I've never really had the issue on my Squire Matt Freeman P-Bass which I use as a "beater". Luckily it's easy enough to adjust to get the thing working again, but a bit disconcerting. 

Anyone else faced similar issues? 

All other things being equal, and talking about averages, a highly figured wood is more susceptible to movement. However, the reality is that wood is wood and some instruments will move more than others, depending on what piece of wood it was built from. The neck being finished, assuming it has also been sealed properly, should make it less susceptible to this kind of problems, but the reality is that it is difficult to tell. I have a couple of unfinished necks which will not move no matter what (both graphite and steel reinforced, to be fair). I had a Peavey GV with a modulus graphite neck that did move a fair bit—I assume, due to the pau ferro fretboard. The reality is that it can happen.

Interesting. It is the only figured neck I've owned and I guess it would make sense for it to react differently than other necks. It looks like it's got a pretty substantial gloss finish on it. My other instruments are or have been guitars. I've had les pauls, strats, gretchs, SG's, offsets, with a mix of finished and unfinished neck. Never had this issue, though that are slightly different beasts I'll admit.

The truss rod doesn't seem broken, it still adjusts... my other thought is maybe it's moving when in transit due to vibration but that seems a bit less likely that just being affected by cold. 

I think it’s a probably a Stingray thing. I’ve had close to a dozen stingrays over the years and had this issue on 2 or 3 of them. Was never a big issue but a bit of an oddity compared to other basses that never suffered. 

• Like 1

I have had 3 Stingrays over the years and my current one for 6 years. I think I adjusted it once after it had been in the case for over a year but that’s it.

In relation to the figured wood discussion, I seem to remember an interview with Roger Sadowsky where he said he wouldn’t use it in his basses because of its instability and inconsistency. I think he only started using figured necks when the whole roasted revolution started.

I have 2 custom built basses (not EB) that are very, very similar in build materials. One has always needed a bit more attention in the truss rod dept than the other, which needs almost none at all. It’s the nature of natural materials, despite being the same wood, unless they’re from the very same plank of the same tree, they are likely to react differently to changes in climate. That being said, I think the older the instrument, the more stable they tend to be due to being an instrument that much longer, seasoning, whatever. I had a ‘63 P Bass that rock solid whenever, wherever, whatever the weather, I don’t remember adjusting it once in all the time I owned it. 

Flea reputedly fell out with EBMM as the result of their declining to make him Stingrays with graphite necks, which he'd requested as he too had found Stingray necks to move a lot on tour. The result of course was his relatively long-standing relationship with Modulus and possibly one of the best basses money can buy, which is why it's been my avatar for about 10 years now, although I sold my last one during lockdown :( 

image.thumb.png.fb51d496ca432d3dd1c3800c075f41e0.png

@northcountrybob you're probably aware of all this but I'd not be leaving basses in the cold for too long, and if I had I'd be waiting a decent while, probably around a day or more, before I adjusted the truss rod as doing so before the wood temperature stabilises to the new ambient temperature might bring on a different set of problems. I have a fretless neck that's really susceptible, odd because I have three quite similar necks in that they are maple with ebony boards, but this one neck moves a lot compared to the other two. Generally speaking it stays in the house, it's even got its own fender sock to keep it warm in its case when it does leave the house! As above, some necks just seem to be more prone than others :(   

I had a Stingray Classic from 2006 where the neck was a real swine with changing weather conditions. It wasn't a fancy neck with heavy figuring but, boy, I had to adjust it quite often to maintain it top playing condition. As others have said, some instruments can stay unaffected in conditions where some others are all over the place.

That neck sock is amazing and I instantly want one! Does it have much affect? 

So it seems it's not unheard of, and not isolated to Stingrays. I've owned a lot of guitars but way less basses. Mex P bass, the Squire Matt Freeman, and the Stingray. Maybe I've been luckily until now! It's manageable but as it's my first experience of it, a bit unnerving. I need to put a ruler or feeler gauge in the hardcase really and keep track of how it's moving. Maybe put a little notebook in there and record the changes 

1 minute ago, northcountrybob said:

That neck sock is amazing and I instantly want one! Does it have much affect? 

So it seems it's not unheard of, and not isolated to Stingrays. I've owned a lot of guitars but way less basses. Mex P bass, the Squire Matt Freeman, and the Stingray. Maybe I've been luckily until now! It's manageable but as it's my first experience of it, a bit unnerving. I need to put a ruler or feeler gauge in the hardcase really and keep track of how it's moving. Maybe put a little notebook in there and record the changes 

Ha ha, amazing how many bassists have said that, only because it has the magic logo I suspect.

Does it make a difference, well scientifically it must because everything does (and I doubt it does any harm). In practice however I doubt it makes a whole lot in terms of temperature/humidity regulation, I use it more for two things, protects the board from knocks at gigs and tends to discourage the "Just gonna have a quick play on your guitar" type punter also. 

While the sock makes little difference though, I expect the case the bass is stored in can. A decent model like SKB will probably offer far more resistance to changes in humidity and temperature than some of the cheaper brands. I use SKB for my studio gear and it's a different league, expensive, but then so are basses and studio gear 👍

Another point, of course, has to do with personal settings. I play with extremely low action and a straight neck, so if the neck moves I am bound to notice it. If you play with more relief and higher action it is highly likely that you will be a little more forgiving and notice the movement far less.

As to Stingrays, one of the things that has always surprised me is that they are still not using carbon rods in the necks. I am not saying that they are always necessary, but certainly they contribute to making the neck a little more impervious to changes in weather. The two maple-necked stingrays I had before my current one (which is a status graphite necked specimen) did not impress me much neck-wise.

I tend to hit quite hard, strum chords and use a pick, so my action isn't that low. I guess if I actually get it set up, and then start measuring the changes and the direction the neck moves I'll get a better idea of what's happening and how to correct things. I probably haven't noticed so much if the neck bows forward, but when it goes back and the strings start choking out it's pretty noticeable. I do love the stringray sound and would still get another. Maybe one without the flame maple neck. It's actually quite disorientating if a lighting guy gets over zealous and floods a stage with certain kinds of light. The fret markers seem to vanish and the shadows from the figuring make me second guess where I am on the neck. Thats another issue though! 

On basses which are set up with very low action, I expect to have to provide a minor adjustment at the start of winter, and then again to maintain the low action after the winter.

This is because of the reaction of the wood to a complete change in the ambient temperature. 

It doesn’t really make much difference if the neck is figured, or lacquered, oil and wax finished or painted, the same applies, but as I said this is largely to do with setting a low action. 

The excellent thing is Musicman basses (post 1990) have the great design of a  truss rod adjustment wheel so are an absolute doddle to adjust - rather than some of those vintage designed jobs which require the neck to be removed - thankfully I don’t have any of those 😄

I don’t perceive this minor variation in the wood based on significant changes in ambient temperature resulting from seasonal change to be an issue. It also tends to occur over a period - having a bass in a very warm car in the summer or very cold car in the winter for an hour or two tend not to result in any significant change (from my experience). I think any change over time is also in reality, relatively minor - after all these basses in most instances have the fretboard glued back on (maple) during manufacture and that is an extremely strong connection, making Musicman necks very robust, although unable to completely defy the laws of physics.  For those basses with higher action in the first place I notice the whole bass needs retuning the first time it’s used into the winter or summer as each string changes by a couple or three spots on a Boss tuner. This also applies with low action basses which may need a minor truss rod  tweak also. 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the replies. Super helpful! 

I don't I have low action but the first time it happened I'd driven from Glasgow to London with the bass in the trunk and it was very cold. Next time I got the bass out at a venue a couple days later (IIRC, maybe sooner) the strings were all fretting out badly. Almost just resting on the fretboard. Not had that trouble with it since but have had to make adjustments. I think I just to put a ruler or feeler gauge in the case with a notebook, get the bass setup professionally and then just track any adjustments I make. It's certainly not a gig stopper, just something for me to understand better. Still love stingrays! 

My first Stingray was an absolute nightmare. Bought it brand new from The Bass Centre in Wapping and it refused to stay in tune and constantly needing adjustment. I took it to Strings and Things and they confirmed the wood was too soft and replaced it with a brand new neck. It was absolutely fine after that. I have since had 3 more Stingrays and they have all been fine.

• Like 1