Why become a member? ×

Spector Euro 5 LT Cracking finish!

Jamison

Spector Euro5 LT LE Black Fade Gloss bought from a popular UK bass retailer in 2020, noticed last year a hairline crack so filled it to stop any spreading. The bass has been in a case in a temperature controlled recording room with 8 other basses. Not sure what went wrong here, my Euro 5 LX is in perfect condition, bought off EBay in 2019. 

Pretty bummed to notice today when taking it out to shoot some photos to sell it, that the hairline crack has spread across the body, and there are new cracks from the battery case to the edge and the electronics case to the edge, also from the strap locks extending into the body. Its as if anywhere there was a screw put it, the cracks appeared. 

I can only assume the wood is expanding for some reason and that the quality of this £2399 retailing bass was just not up to scratch. (The others are not behaving the same)

I also spent thousands on two other basses from this retailer, one sent back for a twist in the neck and the other showed up with fret sprouts that were blamed on possible shipping temperatures from the midlands to kent 😆

Anyone wants a nice bass that needs some exterior love let me know. 

Needless to say I am done with both Spector and this retailer. My damn Fenders never give me any trouble but they bore me to death. 

2.jpg

3.1.png

3.4.jpg

1.jpg

• Like 1

Two of the cracks look like they're sprouting from screw holes... I don't suppose you've over tightened those screws causing the finish to crack slightly? 

Is the bass still under warranty? Or have you tried to get in touch with the retailer directly to explain the issue? Maybe they'd be able to help? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, binky_bass said:

Two of the cracks look like they're sprouting from screw holes... I don't suppose you've over tightened those screws causing the finish to crack slightly? 

Is the bass still under warranty? Or have you tried to get in touch with the retailer directly to explain the issue? Maybe they'd be able to help? 

Thanks mate. I am very particular with my environment, climate control. I have 8 basses and no issues with any of them. I have not adjusted any of these screws in ages, it has been in a case unused. I took it out and whoa.. cracks .. My guess is that the wood has shifted and any punctures in the gloss (ie screws, straplocks, etc) where an opportunity for the gloss to crack, are weak points. I am expecting cracks across the bridge next and the screws in the pickups.. 

😪

• Like 1

I've had a few Spector basses and never seen this issue. 

When Stuart owned the company he was always very approachable.  Not sure what the situation is like now that the company has been sold.

The brand has a good reputation and will probably be keen to protect this - contact the Customer Service Team for their take on this.  You may not get a refund but I'd be surprised if they did nothing. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I've had a few Spector basses and never seen this issue. 

When Stuart owned the company he was always very approachable.  Not sure what the situation is like now that the company has been sold.

The brand has a good reputation and will probably be keen to protect this - contact the Customer Service Team for their take on this.  You may not get a refund but I'd be surprised if they did nothing. 

Thanks

sent them a message and bassdirect who sold it to me. 
fingers crossed… my spector experience has been pretty bad. I dont have to many issues with warwick, fender, musicman (although that was bought from bassdirect too so am holding my breath). I dont gig at the moment so playing time is purely to advance my skills and write songs, they are well looked after

• Like 1

Hey all, just a polite update, Spector have got in touch and are working with their distributors to help me out. Euro Spectors have a lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects and they are "committed to making this right".. I am so happy to hear there is help out there : ) I will update again with the outcome and possibly a new photo of a replacement bass. 

• Like 11

55 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

You soon find out who the good guys are. 

Spector have a great reputation for a good reason. 

It does make me highly skeptical of buying more TBH. It feels like unless I go NS USA 7k+ I am going to experience mass manufacturing issues.. but we will see. Am happy I am not left out in the cold

• Like 1

Scrap that - looks like it is all as stock...

Limited Edition Euro LT

Figured Maple top; Weight-relived Paulownia body

Ebony Fingerboard; Fishman Fluence Pickups & Circuit

Passed me by did that model!!!

I'll crawl back under my rock.

Edited by bagsieblue
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 11 months later...

Hi all, this bass was eventually sent back from the european "factory" in top shape. Took ages and the communication from the retailer was terrible, but the factory sure did a good job. 

Its up for sale if anyone is interested :) 

• Like 1

Just now, TheGreek said:

Is this a happy ending?

Yes thank you. It took months and put me off foreign made Spectors permanently but happy ending indeed. (I had problems with a n dimension too at one point) 

• Like 1

Glad to hear it was eventually sorted out. Even the Czech built basses are serious money, so you’re right to expect it to be spot on. Do you reckon they stripped the whole thing back and then refinished it?

2 hours ago, Risk101 said:

Glad to hear it was eventually sorted out. Even the Czech built basses are serious money, so you’re right to expect it to be spot on. Do you reckon they stripped the whole thing back and then refinished it?

I think they did strip it, no idea how a neck thru could have been entirely reglosssed.

its very nicely done my only complaint aside from the retailers shit communication on the matter, is the input jack was replaced and it pokes out, not sitting flush with the body

I foolishly traded a US fender P and Musicman Stingray and was asked for £500 on top for this bass.

not worth it all. Live and learn 😵‍💫

• Sad 1

I have seen this exact same problem on a few of my thick poly finish guitars in south east Asia.. most notable on a stingray ..in fact its quite common to witness others with the same exact issues on the local guitar forums down there. The culprit I suspect is the high peak humidity's in that area of the world ..if the bass is manufactured in a dry environment or country abroad, sealed up in a poly finish and then exported to a humid country..as the solid body takes in water it expands.. I have even had neck plates crack with this force of nature.. if I hadn't see this with one my own eyes I wouldn't have believed it.

• Like 1