Why become a member? ×

Tonex

Tripehound

I'm really attracted to the Quad Cortex due to its functionality and its form but I know that I'd use barely 5% of its capabilities, even taking into account a bit of home guitar playing. For live duties I'm not sure that I'd like a one-and-a-half-grand piece of gear on the floor when there's beer and punters about...

Could this be a reasonable compromise in that it would (temporarily) satisfy my twiddling with tech urges, do the job and come in at a less wallet-draining price?

https://www.bassgearmag.com/ik-multimedia-releases-tonex-pedal/

On 18/02/2023 at 11:13, Tripehound said:

I'm really attracted to the Quad Cortex due to its functionality and its form but I know that I'd use barely 5% of its capabilities, even taking into account a bit of home guitar playing. For live duties I'm not sure that I'd like a one-and-a-half-grand piece of gear on the floor when there's beer and punters about...

Could this be a reasonable compromise in that it would (temporarily) satisfy my twiddling with tech urges, do the job and come in at a less wallet-draining price?

I’ll be video reviewing one soon! (I’m staff for that very magazine!) 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

My guitarist LOVES his guitar tech and ways to get what he needs (IMHO 50% of what he thinks ;) ).  He goes through tech gear/preamps/modelling like nobodies business; he was using AxeFX years ago when it first came out and he now swears by the Tonex!  I realise he is a skinny stringer but if he is raving about it, it must have something.  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have bought a 2nd hand one. Buyer beware. I naively expected that the software would be freely available. It is not. It is tied to the specific unit. It is possible to transfer the licence but that is another step in the transaction. One which my seller has not managed to undertake yet. And it has been 2 weeks. Had I known (or thought it through) I would have just bought a new one. My £75 saving on the new price is now paling into insignificance. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Just because I have to vent, I am going to update you. Seller has now blocked me on FB so clearly has no intention of undertaking the 8 minute job of transferring the licence which will cost nothing. I am so fed up I am discussing this on the TB ToneX thread as well. Stereo whinging.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

On 03/09/2023 at 17:27, Owen said:

Just because I have to vent, I am going to update you. Seller has now blocked me on FB so clearly has no intention of undertaking the 8 minute job of transferring the licence which will cost nothing. I am so fed up I am discussing this on the TB ToneX thread as well. Stereo whinging.

That is just pure annoyance! ☹️

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have the pedal but I've just bought the SE version of the software (currently on offer at 59.99 euros. No VAT added for me in the UK :)

I got it primarily for guitar as I don't have a guitar amp and only record some stuff into the PC. I was pleased to see someone's modelled a MarkBass CMD 121P which is super handy since my real one died on me. Once I've had a good play I'll report back on how it sounds. 

On 02/09/2023 at 09:14, Owen said:

I have bought a 2nd hand one. Buyer beware. I naively expected that the software would be freely available. It is not. It is tied to the specific unit. It is possible to transfer the licence but that is another step in the transaction. One which my seller has not managed to undertake yet. And it has been 2 weeks. Had I known (or thought it through) I would have just bought a new one. My £75 saving on the new price is now paling into insignificance. 

What does the software do? Is it an editor or a plug-in version of the hardware?

Closer to a plug-in version of the hardware. It's similar to other amp sims (Amplitube, Guitar Rig etc) but rather than simulate the entire amp it has snapshots of amp settings. When someone models their amp they effectively record the settings they have and you can play through it and have it sound the same. You have very limited control over tweaking the sound but the payoff is that the snapshot is very similar sounding to the amp it was modelled off.

2 hours ago, Mornats said:

Closer to a plug-in version of the hardware. It's similar to other amp sims (Amplitube, Guitar Rig etc) but rather than simulate the entire amp it has snapshots of amp settings. When someone models their amp they effectively record the settings they have and you can play through it and have it sound the same. You have very limited control over tweaking the sound but the payoff is that the snapshot is very similar sounding to the amp it was modelled off.

Sounds like a studio tool but not flexible enough for live stuff?

3 minutes ago, Killerfridge said:

Perfectly good for live too; plenty of people have run Kemper rigs for years which do essentially the same thing

I've been trying to decide which way to go for a more flexible unit to go straight to FOH (using a Bassbox ATM which replaced a Helix LT)  - one of these or HX Stomp being the front runners. I've got an H9 and not a big user of effects so it's more about the amp/cab sound but with no way to try one out it's difficult. As the s/w is tied to the unit and has to be registered I'd guess that messes up any retail return options?

On 18/02/2023 at 11:13, Tripehound said:

...for some completely obscure reason, the words "Hotblack Desiato" come to mind...

(I don't know what it does, I don't know how it sounds ...but...  if i ever caught myself shelling out 399 Euros, whatever they are, for a Bass Effect, THIS might be the one - the only one - i'd get)

Edited by sandy_r

• 3 months later...
On 06/09/2023 at 03:38, Owen said:

IK have totally stepped up and provided a new serial number. They did not have to do that. I am beyond grateful and frankly very, very impressed.

What process did you follow for this? I'm in a similar boat right now (although my seller is trying to help, he doesn't have the card anymore and the pedal isn't showing up in his IK account). IK support have been very unhelpful to date. I would love to get a similar resolution so I can actually use this thing properly.

When I actually get around to digging into my ToneX I will be all over that Noble one. I look forward to capturing a couple of mine and then downsizing all the things I am keeping for those occasions I know in my heart will never happen.

Well you let me know when you’ve done some captures and I’ll check them out.

I’m going to look at capturing a Groove Tube Ditto and Summit TD-100 but I can’t imagine either will really have too much impact on someones signal chain.

Someone has captured the Radial Stagebug so there is that.