Why become a member? ×

Alice in Chains

SteveXFR

A few weeks back I decided to look in to Alice In Chains bass lines and it's been quite a black hole that I can't get out of. Mike Starr and Mike Inez both had a lot of amazing bass lines.

Rotten Apple has to be my favourite so far. Amazing riff and very repetitive but it breaks off in to some amazing grooves. Then there's that bass tone

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Bolo said:

That bass tone on Jar of Flies is one of my favourites ever. And that full fat sound on the live footage is amazing too!

I reckon a bass player did the mix on that live footage. Not everyone's cup of tea but it's filthy 😂

I really love AiC.

Another phenomenon I've found with them is that their style suits playing alongside other bands. I've seen them support Metallica & Iron Maiden and it was just a great mix.

Sonisphere 2014 stands out a great 'greatest hits' type set. Hollow sounds like the earth is slowing down LOL!

https://youtu.be/edQpJyLaC-g

Edited by Noisyjon
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Noisyjon said:

Another phenomenon I've found with them is that their style suits playing alongside other bands. I've seen them support Metallica & Iron Maiden and it was just a great mix.

I first saw AiC supporting Megadeth back in the early 90s. They were immense, I could have left before Megadeth came on and still been really happy. Originally I thought it was an odd mix, but they really fitted in.

I've been listening to a lot of AiC in recent weeks, plus the Mad Season album. That then led on to Brad, Green River, Temple of the Dog...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bartelby said:

I first saw AiC supporting Megadeth back in the early 90s. They were immense, I could have left before Megadeth came on and still been really happy. Originally I thought it was an odd mix, but they really fitted in.

I've been listening to a lot of AiC in recent weeks, plus the Mad Season album. That then led on to Brad, Green River, Temple of the Dog...

Have you tried some Tad as well?

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

Have you tried some Tad as well?

yeah. I’ve seen them live a few times too. 

In fact I’ve seen more of Tad Doyle than I’d like to have, when he danced across the stage, during a Soundgarden set, in just his Y fronts.

Edited by bartelby
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

That's a beautiful bass, I didn't know there was a Mike Starr signature model.

The bass riff of Would is an absolute killer

They offered it in 2015 and I bought it NOS in 2017. Solid maple wings and Special Star(r) inlay at the 12th fret. Came with the Tonepump preamp but I got it replaced with the Haz 9V. It pretty much is my only not-to-be-sold bass. 

https://www.notreble.com/buzz/2015/05/06/spector-introduces-limited-edition-mike-starr-signature-euro4lx-bass/ 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

They offered it in 2015 and I bought it NOS in 2017. Solid maple wings and Special Star(r) inlay at the 12th fret. Came with the Tonepump preamp but I got it replaced with the Haz 9V. It pretty much is my only not-to-be-sold bass. 

https://www.notreble.com/buzz/2015/05/06/spector-introduces-limited-edition-mike-starr-signature-euro4lx-bass/ 

Dammit. I need a Spector. 

Mike Starr and Rex Brown are two of my favourites and both play Spectors

AIC will always be one of my favourite bands. Starr and Inez both absolute bass monsters, with no flashiness.

Mike Starr really was and remains a much underrated player. My favourite AIC bassline (as harrowing and just damn bleak as the subject matter of the song is) is Junkhead. The bassline in the chorus with the vocal harmonies running along simultaneously still blows me away every time

Oddly, I’ve always been fine with post-Staley AIC, but the MITB clip above doesn’t show William DuVall in a great light vocally. He normally smashes the chorus in that IME.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mr4stringz said:

AIC will always be one of my favourite bands. Starr and Inez both absolute bass monsters, with no flashiness.

Mike Starr really was and remains a much underrated player. My favourite AIC bassline (as harrowing and just damn bleak as the subject matter of the song is) is Junkhead. The bassline in the chorus with the vocal harmonies running along simultaneously still blows me away every time

Oddly, I’ve always been fine with post-Staley AIC, but the MITB clip above doesn’t show William DuVall in a great light vocally. He normally smashes the chorus in that IME.

That's such a great tune. I love the contrast of the almost uplifting chorus against the bleakness of the verse 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

The song that got me hooked 30 odd years ago. Needs to be played with this beauty 😉 

1583270878_8.SpectorEuroMikeStarrLE_II.jpg.ef8d87cd184e711982909e7ef864dfd3.jpg 923564464_8.SpectorEuroMikeStarrLE_IV.thumb.jpg.e8763f01ea823d13b945033093c3f948.jpg

Remarkable voice, fantastic song.

I'm sure I read the bass tracks on Dirt were several different recordings overlaid to get the sound.

• Like 2