Why become a member? ×

Can fret edges become exposed over time?

WrexhamBassist

I’ve had a few basses with this - known as fret-sprout and even Alembic alludes to the condition and resolution on its website. It isn’t sprout, of course, but wood contraction resulting from drying over time. Any decent luthier can sort this easily and cheaply. Be careful though, one well known luthier went a bit too far on the G string side on one of my basses, to the extent that I had to re-cut the saddle slot to prevent the G slipping off the board. Moderation and care are key!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

@WrexhamBassist - If you do go down the file route, to save you buying one (as they're not super cheap), Im happy to send you my one, just send it back when you're done with it. Let me know. 👍 

Basschat is such a decent community, for the most part. You don't see this kind of thing much outside of these pages. Well done, Sir 👏👏👏

No worries! It's a standing offer if you wanted to give it a go. 

I bought an old Squier from a bootsale for £20 in the summer, 5 minutes with that file took it from being painful to play to being super smooth and fast! A few light passes makes a world of difference to proud fret ends

I also used it to level a raised fret on Binky, worked a charm there too!