Why become a member? ×

Kemp and his Wal

sshorepunk

I thought it was a very average performance, bass sound was OK, but prominent, whole thing could have been a bit tighter. I agree with the cheesy Tony Hadley comment, he is a real crooner, or is trying to be, maybe he's setting himself up for his "twilight years"
There was a program on a while back, they had a year from the 80's each week, I watched the one with TH on, Heaven 17 and Nick Kershaw were on also (and both very good) TH did True and changed the melody a fair bit, I guess his intention was to give it a fresher feel aftyer all those years, but it was bloody awful!
I think the band are more than capable, I remember recording an early radio 1 live session on a staurday night (on those cassette things) and they were good, tight as... just the vocals that don't really do it for me anymore.

True was always a good track with the ladies, when I was a young man :)

Tony

[quote name='wombatboter' post='473497' date='Apr 27 2009, 05:00 PM']I saw the Spandau-Ross clip on Youtube ...
In "Chant" the drums are really not swinging at all...I don't know if he's the original drummer but his playing really isn't ok to me...Very annoying and holding the band down.[/quote]

Yeah, exactly what I thought.

Nothing fades like the future and nothing clings like the past...............

Nostalgia is big business (or at least it used to be) I sometimes think some groups end up being their own 'Tribute' band - just trot out all the hits, no new material, take money home in used fivers a brown paper bag.
The SB performance on JR show was good and it seemed genuinely live and nobodys perfect - I once saw a covers band doing their stuff and they were so crap they were called Spandau Badly...... :)

• 5 years later...

Zombie thread time.

I saw Spandau Ballet at the O2 on Weds just gone. They were quite good, which was disappointing as I think they can be superb.

Martin Kemp was sporting a shiny black Wal mk1 like this (edit - not my pic, Daily Telegraph):

Not that his basslines have ever been that challenging, but he ducked out of the few tricky bits that there were. Which, given he has had two grapefruit sized tumours cut out of his brain and he now has a raft of medical issues, is entirely forgivable. He still looks as cool as hell, the git.

Not forgivable, though - Gary Kemp fluffed the fingerpicking intro of Through The Barricades. Although to be fair, the overwhelming number of 50-something ladies in the crowd possibly didn't notice.

Nice food at the Brooklyn Bowl.

Edited by Paul S

[quote name='Drax' timestamp='1427064504' post='2725440']
Money split them up but it's brought them back together again
[/quote]

Yeah, I heard that whoever did the songwriting gave everyone a cut of the songwriting royalties, but stopped that when the band split up. So they took him to court to get it reinstated.

He was totally within his rights to do this, the wording of the contract at the time allowed for it, but for obvious reasons they were a bit peeved. Though they still received royalties from being on the original recordings.