Why become a member? ×

FS: Handbox R400 Bass Amp - *SOLD*
£450
Potton, Central East Bedfordshire

silverfoxnik

*** Now SOLD ***

Hi Folks, 

*** This fabulous amp is now back up for sale after a recent Basschat sale fell through due to the amp suffering some minor internal damage whilst in Parcelforce's non-existent care!!  

Happily, that minor damage has been professionally repaired now by the brilliant Mick Newman at MC Electronics in Bedford and the amp is back in full working order, having been given a clean bill of health by Mick.  ***IMG_20211127_125549.thumb.jpg.8661e6884143f6371fb36b4cbaa6428c.jpg

So, "Seconds out, Round 2" .. 😁

For sale only, 1 x Handbox R400 bass amp in very good condition and excellent working order (see attached photos). 

I'm looking for £450 or very near offer. 

Backstory is that it was previously owned by @Captain Rumble until it came to me in a trade in 2021. 

Bit of a feeler this one tbh as it's a great amp, but I have not really been using it as I tend to always gig my Mesa Boogie gear. 

Anyway, I guess if you're reading this, you'll know already what a great reputation these amps have for superb sound, superior build quality and fantastic design principles - as I think someone said on here recently, they're a 'future classic!' 

And all of that is true really - for such a portable and easy to use piece of kit, the R400 packs a fabulous sonic punch! 

Should you want to know more, here's a link to the Handbox webpage: 

http://www.handbox.pl/R-400-MINI-HEAD-p142.html

And there's a link to an excellent demo of these amps by our very own @wateroftyne - who I think it's fair to say, has been (quite rightly) championing Handbox for a number of years now. 

And there's plenty more good stuff (reviews, vids, discussion etc) online about the R400, including this Basschat mega thread here:

I'm based in Potton, Bedfordshire and would much prefer to sell the amp to someone who's able to collect in person for the reasons stated above. Alternatively, I'd be happy to arrange a meet up in person within an hours drive from me.. 

Trials welcome obviously, with the obligatory Basschat tea/coffee /biscuits offer to friendly Basschatters! 😁

Thanks for looking and if you have any questions, please PM me, or ask away here. 

Cheers 

Nik 

IMG_20211106_143028.jpg

IMG_20210820_171344.jpg

IMG_20211006_205445.jpg

Edited by silverfoxnik
Back up For Sale
  • Like 6

FWIW, if anyone is interested in this amazing head and fancies a change from the orange look, I have spare white and red frames that I'd be happy to send out for the price of the postage. (As you'd expect from Handbox, they're proper hefty steel).

This style, but white or red.

GLWTS, SFN!

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.343cc0841802782d23ad10e7e2d6ce18.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Piers_Williamson said:

Are there lots of different versions of the front facia for R400s then, because mine is different still.  Gun metal grey and about an inch deep at the top, except where the glorious HB ready light beams through.

Yeah, there's a few iterations.

• ped changed the title to FS: Handbox R400 Bass Amp
  • ped unlocked this topic

HI Folks, 

This fabulous amp is now back up for sale after a recent Basschat sale fell through due to the amp suffering some minor internal damage whilst in Parcelforce's non-existent care!!  

Happily, that minor damage has been professionally repaired now by the brilliant Mick Newman at MC Electronics in Bedford and the amp is back in full working order, having been given a clean bill of health by Mick. 

So, whilst I'm still keen obviously to find a new owner for this great amp, I won't take the risk of shipping it.

So, it's either collection in person or  meet up within an hours drive from me if you want it. 

For anyone seriously interested in buying this, and in the interests of full disclosure, I'm more than happy to demonstrate the amp working over Zoom, provide additional photos and give a more more detailed explanation as to what repair has been made. 

Thanks for looking! 

Cheers 

Nik

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Woody1957 said:

I absolutely love mine, the R400 is the best amp l have ever played through. The new owner will not be disappointed. 

Thanks! 👍

It really is a great sounding amp and the only reason I marginally prefer my two Mesa Boogie M-Pulse heads is that you can get more of an overdriven valve sound from them. 

But that's it - in every other respect, the Handbox is their equal. And for lovers of clean, pure tone, it's probably better than the Mesas.. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

Two HB amps. Is the universe trying to tell me something....

8 minutes ago, silverfoxnik said:

It most definitely is, @stewblack 😁

There's a lot of it around at the moment, the universe told me to buy some stuff last week, and when the universe talks to you, best you listen 👍

• Like 2

14 hours ago, silverfoxnik said:

But you know you want to really... 😁

I have a hit list and this amp is on it. Hopefully if we keep bumping it up like we are someone will spot it and save my umbrella fund.

I don't need it, I simply have no need of it. It's simple. It's that simple.

🙈🙉🙊

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I don't need it, I simply have no need of it. It's simple. It's that simple.

🙈🙉🙊

And as we all know, those very words in 99% of cases lead directly to the purchase of the item in question 🤔

• Haha 6

7 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

Just echoing all the positive comments about these. I love mine, especially the bass/treble/contour arrangement. GLWTS

Out of interest, what settings do you use and with what bass? Cheers Steve

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Woody1957 said:

Out of interest, what settings do you use and with what bass? Cheers Steve

Default is 12 o'clock for bass & treble and contour all the way off then add contour as and when needed. BUT, the whole point about these amps is that you'd struggle to get bad sound out of them.

My gig basses are Andy Rogers s-s 3-pickup passive custom builds with flats so that won't help you much I guess.

1 hour ago, scrumpymike said:

Default is 12 o'clock for bass & treble and contour all the way off then add contour as and when needed. BUT, the whole point about these amps is that you'd struggle to get bad sound out of them.

My gig basses are Andy Rogers s-s 3-pickup passive custom builds with flats so that won't help you much I guess.

You're absolutely right, these amps sound so good without much tweaking. I usually set the bass and treble around 11 0'clock and have the contour set at around 7-8 o'clock...it simply hits the spot for me using a MM bass.