Why become a member? ×

Pointy 80s basses....cool or not

iconic

Saw a band last week and my bass nerd spider senses immediately spied....an old 80s Aria pointy bass standing proud on its stand...

A few things struck me as, ooh. 

First was that this was a smooth 'n slow 1-4-5 roots' n 5ths country band, consisting of 3 pensioners looking like a Victor Meldrew tribute act....and there's me thinking the band player would have more slap (pun intended) and PVC than a Kiss member. 

Second, that I haven't seen a pointy bass played in anger since the last time...well never come to think of it? 

Thirdly, that my 11 year daughter thought it was the coolest bass in captivity and, far more attention getting than her her pink 'n maple P.

The band were a great bunch of guys, not brilliant players but, importantly, funny as f*ck, non stop ripping the fosters out of each other and the audience so, fantastic fun....and unusual for a country band, not one dead dog was mentioned. 

'Victor Pointy Bass' used the headstock on a few occasions, to dig the singer in the ribs when the singer played a bum note on his harmonica, which seemed a plus, erm point, over my ohh so soft J and P. 

Just as observation and, I cant see them ever being desirable, collectable or making money, but then I thought that about the Ford Crappi, Vauxhall Cavpig and Austin Ambassador, Sony Walkman, old Synths, Hygena furniture, mullets (well maybe not) so what do I know?

(Similar to this puppy.) 

wnrsuaefalvgasnoxvei.jpg

Edited by iconic
  • Like 7

Love them. That looks like an Aria Pro II XRB, which was the first bass I ever had, in candy apple red. I bought it in 89. I would genuinely love to have a yellow Ironbird - minus the goofy coloured strings

image.thumb.png.fe16a65b52a9d75b7930fdd9c4ae89a0.png

bird.thumb.jpg.229e41ea41be327dddafd725df318ea4.jpg

Edited by Doctor J
  • Like 5

And i always wanted one of these back in the day. It's an Aria ZZB which they also did in a blue sunburst or 50/50 black white graphic. I wasn't brave enough though and ended up with a safe looking Aria RSB Deluxe 2 instead...

image.thumb.png.1241000c2a74a129abbed06f9ae78798.png

• Like 4

My very first bass was a Westone Raider I. One of my biggest regrets is having to sell it and, should I ever find one, I will buy another.

981828FD-C718-4857-8079-A2E886C963EF.jpeg.fce14b79bb5e63754542a107b8fce64f.jpeg

My current number one bass is a BC Rich Warlock.

41804F05-3575-46E1-BDFC-D439C3F5FFFF.jpeg.e3208dc3c71922db197a35ca19c6f982.jpeg

I also now own a Thunderbird, but that’s fairly rounded. And a headless Flying V (not a bass, though I did once narrowly miss out on getting its bass twin).

Seeing the other posts in this thread reminds me of a guitar (not a bass, sadly) that we had in the guitar shop I worked in when I was a kid. It was a BC Rich Ironbird in black with pink crackle. It was glorious!

*Neither of these photos are of my own basses.

Edited by KingBollock
  • Like 3

My second bass was a Westone Raider 1 as well, except it was the red/black version. Always envied the Aria ZZB.

Quite partial to the odd point or two, would love to get my mitts on a BC Rich Bich bass or an Ibanez Iceman bass (have a couple of Iceman guitars). Though the current bass-crush is for a Dingwall D-Roc.

Edited by Skybone

Im big on pointy basses, but ive sold almost all of mine.

Used to have a crazy custom shop BC Rich Bich bass.

My all time favourite pointy is an ibanez icb500 iceman bass which you can see pointing out behind me.

This is only pic i got of it

616079489_rawkftt3.jpg.a3583915de04063b6074713c006b307e.jpg

29 minutes ago, KingBollock said:

Love that!

When you say cheap… How much and where from?

The Mockingbird was like 320 euros from some Alibaba site. Big Johns or some other strange name 😄

Playable but not really enjoyable.

The explorer is this kit:

https://guitarkitfabric.co.uk/bass-guitar-kit-explorer-rosewood-7141269436247-en.html

1 minute ago, baa said:

The Mockingbird was like 320 euros from some Alibaba site. Big Johns or some other strange name 😄

Playable but not really enjoyable.

The explorer is this kit:

https://guitarkitfabric.co.uk/bass-guitar-kit-explorer-rosewood-7141269436247-en.html

Thanks!

It does look cool, but I think I’d struggle to justify even a cheap bass right now.

I rather like the idea of building a kit. Maybe one day.

• Like 1

Never was a fan of the pointy/droopy headstock on an otherwise conventional-looking bass, just looks like a mismatched bitsa.

However - proper out-there 80s pointiness: hook it into my veins!

My first 'serious' bass was one of these:

lyhmpy0dmowaedgk0tla.jpg

Washburn B20 Stage. Sold it to buy something you could slap on, a somewhat less pointy Aria RSB Deluxe II.

Always had GAS for an Iceman or a Westone Dynasty. Maybe a Raider in one of the 2-tone glitter finishes.

Or an Aria ZZB in blood splatter...

zmcq6pn52z4h1ze9ksuw.jpg

• Like 6

Not sure if I'm into the regular (usually a P, it seems) bass style body with the pointy headstock. They always scream naff 80s hair-metal IMO.

Love the Mockingbird shape, and that Westone Raider looks great. Never seen that before and it's quite an original and aesthetically pleasing take on the Explorer style.

I'm pretty certain I played an Aria ZZB in yellow/black back in 87 at the Bass Centre when they were in Wapping, on a post-Christmas trip to buy my first "proper" bass. Thankfully (with hindsight) the black Fender Jazz Bass Special I walked away with sounded much better.

20 minutes ago, Gwilym said:

Not sure if I'm into the regular (usually a P, it seems) bass style body with the pointy headstock. They always scream naff 80s hair-metal IMO.

Love the Mockingbird shape, and that Westone Raider looks great. Never seen that before and it's quite an original and aesthetically pleasing take on the Explorer style.

I'm pretty certain I played an Aria ZZB in yellow/black back in 87 at the Bass Centre when they were in Wapping, on a post-Christmas trip to buy my first "proper" bass. Thankfully (with hindsight) the black Fender Jazz Bass Special I walked away with sounded much better.

My Raider was my Christmas present for 1987, too.

Nothing wrong with naff 80s Hair Metal! With any luck, I have an upcoming project that involves that very genre. A drummer has found me that wants to bring back Hair Metal. I don’t know why that, when he saw a photo of me, he thought Nikki Sixx… I look more like Nikki Sixx ate Vince Neill! Mind you, I’ve bought a Thunderbird now, so I suppose I am committed (or should be…).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I had a BC Rich Warlock in custard yellow in the mid eighties. It sounded great, but not really the thing for playing REM/Americana stuff on. The look of that sort of instrument and all it's pointy brethren is so nailed to the glam rock/metal genre that they look really incongruous anywhere else. However, a nice BC Rich Mockingbird in a natural finish is on my bucket list...

Edited by rushbo
  • Like 1