Why become a member? ×

NBD. Warning: Toilet seat content.

Lfalex v1.1

141095991_20230113_1304522.thumb.jpg.b02b19cbfbbfac936febda9b4940ad78.jpg

Musicman Bongo 6 HH in Candy Apple Red.

A six to replace a Streamer LX6 that was sold to cover legal fees.

Arrived 43 hours after I ordered it from Bass Direct, securely packed and delivered on time (DHL)

Lovely neck. Weighs 9lb 6oz, so not too bad. 

I thought the 18mm string spacing might prove problematic,  but it's not.

It's very "polite" sounding, but in the context of the other instruments I own, that's not a problem. 

Issues? Fingerprints show up really badly! If you rest your forearm against the body, it damps a smidge of the resonance out of the sound. 

Everything else is either fine or not a issue for me, so it's all good so far.

• Like 12

Wow that’s a big bass - if it was a toilet seat all but the largest people would fall through it!!!! 

I was playing my white Bongo 5 at a jam session a couple of nights ago and the house bassist came up and made comments about the lavatorial nature of my bass - I pointed out the pointy headstock makes a superb ear wax remover if he cared to continue the conversation 😂😂🤣 he obviously hadn’t noticed the Bongo, in comparison to the comparatively weedy sounding passive basses being used by others, had enough bass EQ to rip his speakers out 👍😀😀 however I didn’t activate it for fear of structurally damaging the venue!!!! 😁

Enjoy the Bongo they’re great basses!! 

• Like 1

You're right, the EQ just keeps on giving (or taking; depends which way you turn the controls!)

It's not that big. The Warwick that preceded it was quite a bit heavier. 

This was a "reasonably priced" punt.

Normally, I'd have tried out various basses and selected one from the stock I'd played. 

Other options were;

Ibanez EHB1506 or 1006

Dingwall Combustion 3/6 or an NG 3/6

G&L ASAT (I know, it's a 4)

But this sat in the middle of the group,  and I recall playing a Bongo 5HS and liking it, so decided to simply order it.

Seems like I got it right this time. 

Nice bass, enjoy.

The Bongo 6 is probably the only EBMM bass I'd actually pay money to own, but not at the prices they are in the Colonies.

I got an infraction from one of the preciouses at TB for making a toilet seat inference after someone else posted a similar meme.

Edited by crazycloud
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, crazycloud said:

Nice bass, enjoy.

The Bongo 6 is probably the only EBMM bass I'd actually pay money to own, but not at the prices they are in the Colonies.

I got an infraction from one of the preciouses at TB for making a toilet seat inference after someone else posted a similar meme.

I'm the same. In terms of looks and tone, the Bongo is the best bass EBMM make. It needs a headstock though. I mean, I know comments were pruned from another thread but come on, seriously? 🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I know someone with a 4-string Bongo in CAR. They are under instruction not to sell it without consulting me first.

I couldn't live with a white one though!

What even this one??!!!

77B7D11B-EDCC-433A-A3D0-91D2D71BD902.thumb.jpeg.1b63061059e4d82b7d078f32a37249a8.jpeg
9B4E5C79-8A33-49EE-8B11-52214420A860.thumb.jpeg.1ece94a3522a34c4adba822c77f21954.jpeg

1 hour ago, crazycloud said:

Quite right too - one of the reasons I’m not a subscribing member here is the lack of infractions for such things 😀 mind you it has it’s upside - at least we can praise counterfeits (especially of Rickenbackers), refer to pre 1966 Fenders as the musical equivalent of early mechanised agricultural equipment - but beware of mentioning real Rickenbackers though 🤣🤣

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, crazycloud said:

I made an ugly laugh sound when I read this, what on earth was the rationale? :lol:

1 hour ago, Kev said:

I made an ugly laugh sound when I read this, what on earth was the rationale? :lol:

It’s against the rules of that forum - calling other people’s expensive basses toilet seats is considered offensive.  Those who call mine such names usually come into contact with the pointy headstock at some point or other - purely accidentally of course 😉 HOWEVER it should be noted it’s only bass players who have this toilet-type fetishy thing 🤣

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

download.jpeg.91d5c23fd769ea49be032717a25e7741.jpeg

Ah, but which came first?

The Bongo or the Pig?

I think Musicman might just have a case for copyright infringement.

Peppa Pig was first shown at NAMM 2003, whereas the Bongo first appeared on TV in 2004.

Oh. No, wait ...

Edited by Lfalex v1.1
  • Haha 1

Finding it pretty good so far.

Not too heavy at 9½lb, and the balance is fine with a suitably broad (and short)

strap. I'm surprised that big old headstock and 6 full-sized tuners don't drag it down more.

The instrument's balance pulls the nut back towards you, so the reach for the 1st fret isn't at all bad.

The neck is great. Broad, flat smooth and quite fast for a 6. The only slight negative is that the fretboard radius is slightly smaller than I'd find ideal. It's not a deal-breaker, though. A Rosewood fretboard is a plus for me.

The electronics package is good. Plenty of tones. No noise and almost too much control from the 4 band EQ.

Tons of headroom from the 18v pre-amp. Definitely one to set flat and tweak with small adjustments.

Came strung with what look like EB Slinkies. They ought to be 32-130, and it seems like that's the case here. 

Stainless steel frets are showing little sign of use even though its 10 years old. 

Overall tonality is fairly neutral if left flat, with decent variation available from the pan control, though it's not that great at the extremes without heavy eq. It can be a little bass- heavy,  and favouring the bridge pickup doesn't do a lot to reduce this until it ends up being too nasal. Gently cutting the bass eq is the better option.

All in all,  pretty good, and I can see the playing experience improving as I become more accustomed to it.

I have four Bongos, including a sixer. Polite is not a word I would use to describe any of them. :D

The trick to EQ'ing a Bongo is the two midrange controls. The instrument's voice is tied up in that one concentric stack. And a good compressor will be your best friend, especially if you can get heavy-handed with your playing techniques. 

• Thanks 1