Why become a member? ×

MONO Bass Cases

Louisss8sss

I don't have a Ray 5, but my P and J 5s will technically fit in the Sleeve. I wouldn't use it to take them out, though, as I don't think there's enough clearance when you have 4+1 elephant-ear tuners. I actually had a 4 string P come out of the Sleeve with a bent tuner and I honestly can't remember it taking any knocks between the venue, car and house, so I retired the Sleeve to dust-cover duties and bought a pair of Vertigos for gigs and rehearsals. I have much more confidence in their ability to protect, they can accommodate wide and angled headstocks.. and the carry handle is on the correct side.

There is lot of reference so far to "an M80" as if it's a specific particular gig bag model.  But my understanding is that M80 is a line of products.

What I mean is that when I look at https://monocreators.com/pages/m80, they show the "M80 Stealth", the "M80 Vertigo", the "M80 Classic", and the "M80 Sleeve".  So unless I've misunderstood something, all four are M80, yes?  So when you say "I have an M80", which one do you mean?

7 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I’ve had the Vertigo and the M80 and I find the M80 better for my needs. The straps can be folded away and I can still load the bass in whilst it’s standing up.

This is my experience too.  I prefer the way the M80 opens, with the zip going all the way around.  Makes it much easier to pack the bass away.  The Vertigo only opens partially and you have to slide the bass in.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

There is lot of reference so far to "an M80" as if it's a specific particular gig bag model.  But my understanding is that M80 is a line of products.

What I mean is that when I look at https://monocreators.com/pages/m80, they show the "M80 Stealth", the "M80 Vertigo", the "M80 Classic", and the "M80 Sleeve".  So unless I've misunderstood something, all four are M80, yes?  So when you say "I have an M80", which one do you mean?

M80 Classic

https://monocreators.com/pages/m80-classic

• Like 1

I've got what is now called the M80 Classic which was bought back when it was simply the only M80 case for bass.

From a protection PoV it is great and probably better than many "hard" cases. It also has the advantage that it can be squeezed into spaces in a tightly packed car without worrying about damaging the instrument inside.

However, as I have said before, as a gig bag for carrying the bass any distance it fails miserably. It is simply too uncomfortable to wear for any length of time. The straps are too close together where they join the top of the case which makes it awkward across the shoulders, and bottom hangs so low that each step causes it to slap against the back of my legs. To me it seems as though Mono have simply enlarged the guitar version of the case without considering the practical implications of adding an extra foot to the length.

Also after 10 years the main zipper is starting the wear out at the bottom of the case, so it is not longer safe to unzip it fully. When it finally fails I doubt I will buy another one to replace it, unless I knew I would never have to walk any distance carrying a bass in it again.

• 2 months later...

I had the regular Mono dual case (I can't stand the clearance issues and rather meager protection of the Sleeve, esp). Yesterday, at load out, I hit a wonky part of a driveway and my DNA 210 (53 lbs) rolled over my Hiro Miura xb-2 and GB basses in my Mono dual).  Glad I decided to put up with the bulk, cause the Sleeve would have definitely been too thin and I doubt individual Vertigos (yes, I've owned both and use them for practice) would have been a lot better.

The haste and confusion of load out after a job , etc. have caused most of my "accidents" over the years. While 

the Vertigo and Sleeve have their place, protection of drops, falls, et is pretty meager and I still don't like their clearance issues. I've scratched more than one nitro finished bass on the zippers while putting them in or out.' Just a little too snug for my  basses, even for practice toting.