Why become a member? ×

What has a professional bassist got, that I have not

bass_dinger

21 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Agreed, I think I'm introverted most of the time. However,  at gigs I get to be a different person for a few hours. Even during breaks when I'm chatting with people I'm charming and witty. When the gig is over and I'm back to normal life I'm very shy snd quiet.

I'm similar. I'm somewhat introverted around strangers, and there's no way I could front a band or be a soloist, especially not without an instrument slung around my neck. I have self-confidence issues revolving around a stammer I've had since I was 8 years old, and I don't have the 'gift of gab'.  But give me a bass guitar and people to play with and I'm as happy as Larry.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bluewine said:

Interesting point.

A few months ago I was approached by a pretty lady after a gig when I was packing up my gear. She introduced herself gave me a hug and her cell number.

Where else but a gig would that happen to me? 😀

Blue

And.......???

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ralf1e said:

I might be wrong but I think Victor Wooten said "No one ever danced to a scale"

We are there to support and make a groove.

I am there to make music not wet knickers lol

True. I think a lot of musicians forget this, particularly on the cover band circuit. I've certainly been guilty of playing self-indulgent music or attempting to educate the audience, only for it to die on it's derrière. Pick your battles! If people still go crazy for Sex On Fire and Mr Brightside then we should continue to play them.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, peteb said:

When I worked as a stagehand for a professional theatre production when I was a teenager, virtually everybody backstage was loud and pretty over the top. Quite an eye-opener for a kid! 

s far as bands go, yes there are people who are perfectly sociable with the band but pretty quiet at home. A guitarist I played with in London was one of the biggest personalities I've ever met (when we went to a pub we would save him two seats while he went to the bar - one for him and won for his ego), but he once told me it was his way of dealing with being shy by nature, so he developed an over the top personality to (over)compensate.

Someone like you might find it a bit difficult doing road gigs, where there is no 'normal life' to go back to for a few days / weeks. Then again, I'm sure that you would probably learn to adapt. 

Hi Pete,

Your probably right. I've gone out with ladies that met me at gigs and they were excited in the moment. When we would go out on a date they were usually disappointed.

Daryl

• Sad 1

59 minutes ago, peteb said:

It is a moot point indeed. It always amazes me when people who say they want to be in bands also claim to be painfully introverted... 

I am often painfully introverted.

There's no conflict. When I'm on stage I'm performing a role. it's not "me" anymore.

Just like a certain Freddie Mercury (without the talent).

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Russ said:

As others have said, it's mostly about two things - having good contacts, and "the hang". 

Being able to play is obviously important, as is being easy to work with and being someone who can nail a bass part in as few takes as possible. I'd suggest there's quite a lot of us on here who can do those things and who aren't professionals. But so much of it is who you know, and what you're like to spend time with when you don't have a bass in your hands!

Think you nailed the music bizz bro

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Aha..! A convent cell, then..? -_-

:lol: :P

Bah Humbug. Some of us can rock with the best. Not that they cant rock either. They just only know blues scales lol

Money money money.

Its all lies. Or is it.

My next door neighbor of years ago as a pro went to meet Mr Epstiene for a place in a new band (he was already established at the time)

BOTTOM Line " I like you lets go to bed and we will sign contacts in the morning!

Get it!  got it!  good!

43 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I am often painfully introverted.

There's no conflict. When I'm on stage I'm performing a role. it's not "me" anymore.

Just like a certain Freddie Mercury (without the talent).

Oh, I can see that many people do that and adopt a stage persona. But how does that work when you've got two hours to kill between the soundcheck and the gig or when it's 2am and you're sharing a travelodge room and the rest of the band want to hang out?? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, peteb said:

Oh, I can see that many people do that and adopt a stage persona. But how does that work when you've got two hours to kill between the soundcheck and the gig or when it's 2am and you're sharing a travelodge room and the rest of the band want to hang out?? 

I’m the quiet one. But even for introverts there’s a difference between close friends and the rest of the world.

Close friends get to know the real personality and accept it.

22 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I’m the quiet one. But even for introverts there’s a difference between close friends and the rest of the world.

Close friends get to know the real personality and accept it.

I think we've strayed a little off the topic but being an extrovert or introvert has no bearing at all on whether you are a nice or nasty piece of work. I'm sure both appear in either camp.

Hopefully close friends do more than just accept your real personality and actually like it/you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparky Mark said:

I think we've strayed a little off the topic but being an extrovert or introvert has no bearing at all on whether you are a nice or nasty piece of work. I'm sure both appear in either camp.

Hopefully close friends do more than just accept your real personality and actually like it/you.

Who mentioned nice or nasty?

Wasn’t me. 

7 hours ago, peteb said:

My persona sort of goes out the window when the show is over and the crowd sees me packing and loading the van. 😀

Blue

Flexibility.

I meet a lot of amateurs and semi-pros who need everything mapped out and organised to the nth degree. Parts rehearsed to death. Set List written down a week in advance. Where's the parking? What size is the stage?

Music isn't like that. Playing live you have to be ready to improvise to react to changes when it goes wrong. Being on stage is no place to be if you can't cope with that.

I do meet the odd pro like that but they're good, really good, and people smile at their eccentricities. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, TimR said:

Flexibility.

I meet a lot of amateurs and semi-pros who need everything mapped out and organised to the nth degree. Parts rehearsed to death. Set List written down a week in advance. Where's the parking? What size is the stage?

Music isn't like that. Playing live you have to be ready to improvise to react to changes when it goes wrong. Being on stage is no place to be if you can't cope with that.

I do meet the odd pro like that but they're good, really good, and people smile at their eccentricities. 

This. You've got to be able to turn up (on time), do the job (well) and get out (on time) with the minimal amount of fuss to all concerned.

And not be a twät.

It requires a particular set of skills

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TimR said:

Flexibility.

I saw Band of Friends get the length  of their set doubled when Geno Washington was called away for a family issue. They were told a couple of songs from what would have been the end. Didn't miss a beat.