Why become a member? ×

What has a professional bassist got, that I have not

bass_dinger

14 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

Just read it; sounds absolutely exhausting! It confirms the level of effort and dedication a pro needs to be truly successful. I doubt I'd get placed in the metaphorical egg and spoon race let alone make Olympic qualification. 

It takes effort and dedication to succeed in pretty much any profession. Being a musician is no different. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

Ha ha, I don't think we'll ever run out of things to learn, that's part of the fun.

Are you in a band?

I will run out of time before I run out of things to learn (and not just because I am in my 50s)!

I am in a band that does not stretch me.

Actually, I am in a band that does not stretch itself, and is becoming less discerning. I am struggling with whether I want to carry on with them, and am no longer feeling it.  

I have a few feelers out for new projects - playing Indian ragas by ear; playing with other members of my family (all competent musicians, and I now feel capable enough to play with them): joining a rock choir to improve my vocals; learning mandolin.

On 03/01/2023 at 20:33, bass_dinger said:

So, to explain, I don't have much. I can play quarter and eighth notes, and can sometimes syncopate, so long as the pattern is not too complicated.

I can improvise a bassline over a chord sequence, in any key.

I can read sight read slow music in simple keys.  I can sight read tab.

I can play simple stuff by ear. 

However, 16th note syncopation, Bernard Edwards, slapping, popping, thumping, Joe Dart - it all defeats me.

So, what skills does a professional bassist (touring band, session musician, covers band player) have that I can aspire to.

I think that I am wondering what the difference is, between a band hobbyist, and a professional musician.

Measurable success? 😛

11 hours ago, bass_dinger said:

I will run out of time before I run out of things to learn (and not just because I am in my 50s)!

I am in a band that does not stretch me.

Actually, I am in a band that does not stretch itself, and is becoming less discerning. I am struggling with whether I want to carry on with them, and am no longer feeling it.  

I have a few feelers out for new projects - playing Indian ragas by ear; playing with other members of my family (all competent musicians, and I now feel capable enough to play with them): joining a rock choir to improve my vocals; learning mandolin.

That paints a picture :)

This is BassChat so I'll limit myself to bass. Look for another band, unless this one is gigging regularly you won't need to give up on this one. As my wife says 'don't put your dirty underwear out until you have clean'.

So you are a reader, with a musical background who can also play by ear. You know enough about music to improvise and you can sing, at least enough for you to do backing vocals and maybe harmonies. You take what you do seriously and you want to work harder. You may not realise it but you are hot property. Stop apologising about your age too. I didn't start playing until I was 55, zilch/rien/nothing apart from a few guitar chords as a 14 year old.

I've been between bands a couple of times and in multiple bands when it looked like a band had reached the end of it's development. Musically those gaps were the most fertile periods. I filled them with regular auditions which forces you to learn half a dozen songs quickly. I also teamed up with friends at open mics, depped for a few bands and just generally took anything offered. It forced me to learn a lot of songs and I hate making a fool of myself so even the open mic stuff I worked at. That's the way to get a lot of different rhythms under your fingers too, every genre has things that make it what it is and everything is a learning opportunity. I briefly played in a country band, how hard can it be? It had me screaming, playing simply and well with nowhere to hide is a discipline itself. The advantage of lots of activity is that there just aren't that many musicians out there and they will soon get to know you. Become part of that community and things will come along.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1