Why become a member? ×

"not too sure if it's a fender"

prowla

3 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Hondo 830

More likely a Satellite bass. Hondo 830 basses have a different shape headstock.

I had a Satellite a while ago, it was more or less identical except the crudely painted headstock. The bridge is a giveaway.

I'm guessing the guy painted the headstock so he could sell it as a 'maybe Fender'. Definitely a con.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, binky_bass said:

More likely a Satellite bass. Hondo 830 basses have a different shape headstock.

I had a Satellite a while ago, it was more or less identical except the crudely painted headstock. The bridge is a giveaway.

I'm guessing the guy painted the headstock so he could sell it as a 'maybe Fender'. Definitely a con.

The older Hondo's had the F shape headstock. The later had the eagle head style ones.

It's a Hondo 830.

Satellite's never had that style bridge.

Just now, hooky_lowdown said:

The older Hondo's had the F shape headstock. The later had the eagle head style ones.

It's a Hondo 830.

Satellite's never had that style bridge.

I had one that did have that exact bridge. A Google safety check also shows some with that bridge. In any event, we can agree that it definitely isn't a Fender!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

I had one that did have that exact bridge. A Google safety check also shows some with that bridge. In any event, we can agree that it definitely isn't a Fender!

Ok, so what model Satellite is it, with that bridge and is string thru? Enlighten me?

Edited by hooky_lowdown
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

I shall choose to look past your slightly passive aggressive 'tone'.

This is the model I had:

Screenshot_20221231-163458_Chrome.jpg.87554d436827edf01e066bd07aa7b53f.jpg

And this is THE actual bass I had:

Screenshot_20221231-163715_Gallery.thumb.jpg.8a9ed4027c82699ad15f78277698429b.jpg

There's nothing passive aggressive about learning new stuff. I simply asked the question, as you are sure it's not a Hondo 830 - which it is!

That's nothing like the one on eBay. Where's the bullet truss rod, pickguard etc?

I had a 830, F headstock, in black, had a ply body, nothing wrong with ply bodies, except the weight.

12 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

There's nothing passive aggressive about learning new stuff. I simply asked the question, as you are sure it's not a Hondo 830 - which it is!

That's nothing like the one on eBay. Where's the bullet truss rod, pickguard etc?

I had a 830, F headstock, in black, had a ply body, nothing wrong with ply bodies, except the weight.

Got to love the hyperbole of this forum sometimes! I never said I was sure it was a Satellite, to quote myself directly, I said 'more likely'. Not sure how that constitutes as 'being sure' unless you are purposefully being obtuse?

I don't frankly care what it is. It's not a Fender. If it's a Hondo, great, it's a Hondo. If it's something else, equally great and equally non-inpactual to me. I'm happy to draw a line firmly under this by unfollowing this thread. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

Got to love the hyperbole of this forum sometimes! I never said I was sure it was a Satellite, to quote myself directly, I said 'more likely'. Not sure how that constitutes as 'being sure' unless you are purposefully being obtuse?

I don't frankly care what it is. It's not a Fender. If it's a Hondo, great, it's a Hondo. If it's something else, equally great and equally non-inpactual to me. I'm happy to draw a line firmly under this by unfollowing this thread. 

No need for semantics. I was trying to help and inform, letting BCers know what the bass in question is likely to be. You took it upon yourself to quote me, and say "more likely a Satellite". Then couldn't back it up! 

Hondo 830

Cheapo early 80s Korean P copy, unless it's had a refin it's not a Satellite or a Hondo (as both were just brand names), but probably from the same factory, which was likely Samick. He's claiming it's a Satellite now (suggesting he's reading this thread), and the £80 BIN he wants for it is probably about right.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

Cheapo early 80s Korean P copy, unless it's had a refin it's not a Satellite or a Hondo (as both were just brand names), but probably from the same factory, which was likely Samick. He's claiming it's a Satellite now (suggesting he's reading this thread), and the £80 BIN he wants for it is probably about right.

But is it a Satellite or a Hondo?

I gots to know!

On 31/12/2022 at 18:40, hooky_lowdown said:

No need for semantics. I was trying to help and inform, letting BCers know what the bass in question is likely to be. You took it upon yourself to quote me, and say "more likely a Satellite". Then couldn't back it up! 

Hondo 830

having read your posts, I have to agree with @binky_bass that your tone is far from friendly and borderline rude.

you stated that it couldnt possibly be a Satellite bass as "Satellite's never had that style bridge." - Binky then informed you that you were mistaken and proved it by showing you his old Satellite bass which featured that exact bridge. He never said his old bass WAS the same as the one on ebay - just that it featured the same bridge. 

Side note - you asked "with that bridge and is string thru? Enlighten me?" well any bass with that bridge would have to be string through - I've never seen that bridge before in my life but a simple understanding of bass bridges means that I am certain it would never work without being string through...

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/01/2023 at 12:57, prowla said:

But is it a Satellite or a Hondo?

I gots to know!

The guy that was selling it actually said it was a Satellite Bass in his description of it and what he had done to it pickup wise.

We might assumed he knew what he owned

Afore anyone bites my head off

Copied and pasted from the add

Electric Satellite Bass Guitar very sturdy and heavier than usually so quality of build is definitely there and felt when holding and playing. Pickups are Fender Vintage 63" Precision pickups as i installed them myself so guaranteed to give a crisp sound at both treble and bass when slapping, fingering and picking.

Plays and sounds very good. Need gone asap. Can deliver locally in London or up for collection. Action feels very good might need new strings but current ones aren't bad.. Can also post it but cost needs to be covered.

Edited by Ralf1e

Fair enough but I think the original listing stated ‘not too sure if it’s a Fender’, hence this thread.

This has probably been amended, so 👍

Shame it was still listed as Fender in the brand and Fender Precision Bass as the model though. 

• Like 1