Why become a member? ×

Squire contemporary 5 string bass ..any good ?

patrikmarky

Thinking about a cheap 5 string jazz ..cannot decide between the squire contemporary 5 string or maybe the sire 5 string ..the sire are doing some nice colours now ..I’ve had the p bass’s before sound and quality wise good value..probably upgrade the bridge…but these squire have got me thinking..anyone tried or got one …squires are usually good value and solid and looks like it’s out if the cort factory..3A1E1919-D5DD-47DF-9EBB-5D24E506BA07.thumb.webp.8fad538bce3ba4d17cbb06bc8552d55c.webp

Har-de-har-har.  That thing in the video is a joke and I can't believe they issued it.  Let's get real.

OP says "Thinking about a cheap 5 string jazz".

G&L is not an option for this.  The cheapest 5 string they do is the Tribute L-2500 and it's around £200 more expensive than the basses the OP mentioned and ... not a Jazz.  The only option to get a G&L 5 string Jazz is to get a USA made JB-5, which definitely fails on the "cheap" part of the OP's line of thinking.

Come on, fellow BC old-timers, you can do better than this :(

• Like 2

I haven't played the new Squiers or heard any demos but don't they have humbuckers? Just something to think about if you were specifically after that single coil jazz honk.

The Sire would get my vote. I've had a play on one of their Jazz' and really liked the preamp. The neck was really nice on it too.

I've not tried this particular model but Squier have really raised their game in the last few years.

Quality is top notch, they've started offering classic models in some seriously funky colours rather and they're putting out a couple of models each year which don't really have an equivalent in the Fender range, the double humbucking active Contemporary Jazz being a case in point.

Edited by Cato

This is played on a Sire. I consider it to be a truly fabulous piece of playing and the sound is just right. I am such a bass snob that I had just presumed that it was something fancy cos the guy playing is so clearly very accomplished. Then I clocked the headstock and did a double take. As an aside the whole thing is just fabulous ensemble playing and I suspect the bassist is depping cos there are several things he does when you can see other band members clearly responding with surprised pleasure. The guitar work is also a case study in playing for the song. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, skidder652003 said:

Somebody brought an HB 5-string Jazz along to a bass bash a while ago in Lie Cester (IIRC). Everyone who played it (myself included) was impressed by it. Ah, searching back 2015 Midlands Bass Bash, and @Annoying Twit who hasn't been seen here for six years. Correction, it was a PJ.

Edited by tauzero
PJ not JJ