Why become a member? ×

Selling basses

Tim2291

3 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

I thought it was hard but I’ve done 12 out the door and none back in and it’s all working out wonderfully.

No more cases everywhere, wife happy, bit of cash (err, a lot of cash - all of which has been saved for 2023 and the craziness). 

I also have the money here if I ever see something I really want.

1. Always hold on to an empty case so you can sneak one in.

2. Keep one hanger empty. Rotate the hanging basses for obfuscation, makes it easier to sneak in on NBD.

• Like 3

I have twenty something , there’s really only one I’d sell right now. I’m not in any rush or panic , I’ve sold a few over the years and have a couple of regrets. I didn’t buy a bass in 22 , but did buy a baritone guitar. And a couple more amps.

14 hours ago, pfretrock said:

1. Always hold on to an empty case so you can sneak one in.

2. Keep one hanger empty. Rotate the hanging basses for obfuscation, makes it easier to sneak in on NBD.

Or, in my case, have so many that a new one appearing can be passed ff with "oh, THAT old thing?! Had that ages. It's been stored away in a case and I thought I'd get it out for a play....." ;)

I used to find selling a bass, a difficult experience in my younger days, now, any bass, is as easy to sell as breathing.

The realisation came with suddenly almost caring less what I played through, and that, myself as the player, is the most important part, and that they are just tools / a vehicle for that. This was definitely helped by joining an extremely busy functions band, it was a reality check for the internal deification of basses/brands and models. Basically now the criteria is ;

Is it reliable?

Is it comfortable?

Can I get a bright and a dark sound?

Anything beyond that is superfluous to me.

Plus I generally think on the whole, that a bass pretty much sounds like a bass, and these giant differences we speak of between brands etc, really, when you take a step back, are not. I still like certain brands and looks, and a nice bass can be inspiring, but tbh, nothing is sacred anymore!

Edited by 40hz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If a bass hasn't been used for some time and is just gathering dust, then it's definitely on the potential sale list. I have 2 custom built basses that are certainly in danger of being up for sale next year and another boutique one that could go the same way. Whatever happens, I'm now officially at space capacity, with a mix of 10 guitars and basses.

• Like 1