Why become a member? ×

New Glarry Bass?

stewblack

Just had an email from Glarry informing me that they are selling a new bass. 

Walking that PR tightrope of saying how much better it is without making their old stuff sound rubbish.

However when I click the link I get a 404. Anyone know anything?

37 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

No info, sorry.  That blue one is rather fetching though.

Yes. I thought so. Gear 4 Music do a nice blue one too. It's in their own cheap range but not their absolute cheapest.

Seems the budget manufacturers are beginning to see other gaps in the market. 

No clue if Glarry are even playable but you know me...

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

No clue if Glarry are even playable but you know me...

Massive thread about them on TalkBS 😄

From what I've read most folk, who appreciate they're buying $100 instruments , are happy enough; the basses allow new players to learn without too much hassle and occasional players to dabble. Cheap, cheerful and does the job 👍

Been swithering about the Fazley surf green hot rod, seeing that blue/maple Glarry I think the Fazley is history 😄 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kodiakblair said:

Massive thread about them on TalkBS 😄

From what I've read most folk, who appreciate they're buying $100 instruments , are happy enough; the basses allow new players to learn without too much hassle and occasional players to dabble. Cheap, cheerful and does the job 👍

Been swithering about the Fazley surf green hot rod, seeing that blue/maple Glarry I think the Fazley is history 😄 

I was looking at that green hot rod too...

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BigRedX said:

So what makes these different from every other P-Bass?

The fact that it's nigh on unplayable out the box?

An extra £20 spent on a Harley Benton shows the different between a genuinely decent and useable instrument, and a piece of tat that requires an absurd degree of neck shimming to be able to even set the action.

Edited by Bassfinger

6 minutes ago, stewblack said:

You had a bad experience with them?

I have had the misfortune to examine one - not this exact model - at a car  boot sale. It was so horrible I felt dirty and violated for weeks afterwards.

Google abound with tales of extreme neck shimming required to make them playable.  Our hallowed forum founder had to use so something like a 5mm shim to be able to set the action, almost as if the bodies were rejects from another source where the neck pockets had been cut too deep.

Seriously, anyone who can't scrape together an extra £20 for an HB would be better off not bothering,  and as yet I see no evidence the new finishes bring any improvement.

Edited by Bassfinger

16 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

I have had the misfortune to examine one - not this exact model - at a car  boot sale. It was so horrible I felt dirty and violated for weeks afterwards.

Google abound with tales of extreme neck shimming required to make them playable.  Our hallowed forum founder had to use so something like a 5mm shim to be able to set the action, almost as if the bodies were rejects from another source where the neck pockets had been cut too deep.

Seriously, anyone who can't scrape together an extra £20 for an HB would be better off not bothering,  and as yet I see no evidence the new finishes bring any improvement.

So sad how many beginners give up after crashing on the rocks of an unplayable first guitar. Manufacturers of that type of instrument are doing the whole industry a disservice.

7 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

Most of us managed to survive unscathed.

Truth be told most beginners give up simply because learning any skill/craft/art requires time and effort.

I kind of agree but I remember guitars with cheese cutter abilities having strings 1/2 from the neck. I believe some are still available if you buy unadvised

11 minutes ago, Ralf1e said:

I kind of agree but I remember guitars with cheese cutter abilities having strings 1/2 from the neck. I believe some are still available if you buy unadvised

I believe there is now a huge amount of free information available online will address any set up issues.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

I believe there is now a huge amount of free information available online will address any set up issues.

I wasn't talking setup issues I was talking build issues. Don't get me wrong we are in an age of massive improvement but they are still out there especially in the buy it online club book category

Edited by Ralf1e

54 minutes ago, Ralf1e said:

I wasn't talking setup issues I was talking build issues. Don't get me wrong we are in an age of massive improvement but they are still out there especially in the buy it online club book category

Yup.. I recently bought a very cheap HB PJ-5 which would almost certainly stop a new player in their tracks. A 1.5mm uniform gap between the back of the neck and the bottom of the pocket, every fret profiled like a wood chisel and really badly sprouted on both ends, nut significantly wider than the neck and sharp on every edge, pickup screws not driven in, bridge screws just spinning round with no bite into the body wood, bottom strap button punched through the gloss by a screw driven in at a very odd angle, tuners loose and rattling, scratchy pots, loose jack socket, no cavity shielding... and amusingly a very well adhered QC Pass sticker on the headstock.

After spending an afternoon sorting everything out it's actually a good instrument (the neck is true and has some really nice grain, the fit between neck and pocket is perfect when cleared of sawdust and clamped before assembling, the truss rod works, the nut slots are cut well, the frets are level and reasonably crowned, the pickups themselves sound decent etc.) but it needed to be fully reassembled, fret-end-fettled and rewired in order to be genuinely playable. The skills and experience would be beyond most raw beginners, and the tools and parts would probably equal if not exceed the purchase price of the instrument.

• Like 1