Why become a member? ×

Where do you put your thumb?

SteveXFR

9 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

Teaching mostly, some recording, I've worked as a musician for over 30 years, 7 spent in music education, The Guitar Institute etc, I can't count the amount of gigs.  

I don't have to lump stuff around anymore. And I'm happy about that.

Anyway, which tune would you like to play?

Not getting any work then these days. I wonder why? 

I can do a passible version of Portrait of Tracy, but it's not really my forte to be honest. How about The Song Remains The Same or Ramble On? 

Back in the real world, if you want to see me play, all you have to do is buy a ticket... 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Cato said:

I've been a member here since, I think, 2016.

Pretty sure this is the first time I've ever seen someone challenge someone else to a 'Bass Off'.

This is surreal.

As you were.

At The Guitar Institute in the '90s, there were around 13 other bassists at that time. Everyone wanted to come out on top, that was unspoken friendly competition. All I'm asking for, is a demonstration of technique, nothing more.

5 minutes ago, Cato said:

I've been a member here since, I think, 2016.

Pretty sure this is the first time I've ever seen someone challenge someone else to a 'Bass Off'.

This is surreal.

As you were.

Just now, peteb said:

Not getting any work then these days. 

I can do a passible version of Portrait of Tracy, but it's not really my forte to be honest. How about The Song Remains The Same or Ramble On? 

Back in the real world, if you want to see me play, all you have to do is buy a ticket... 

I'll give it a miss thanks...

If it's going to be a bass off  it needs to be neutral ground. Therefore no Jaco, no Zeppelin. 

I assume neither of you are too familiar with grindcore so there's a neutral ground for handbags at dawn. I understand Frantic Disembowlment is pretty tough, it's certainly fast so how about it? 

• SteveXFR changed the title to Handbags at dawn - My ego is bigger than yours
41 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

If it's going to be a bass off  it needs to be neutral ground. Therefore no Jaco, no Zeppelin. 

I assume neither of you are too familiar with grindcore so there's a neutral ground for handbags at dawn. I understand Frantic Disembowlment is pretty tough, it's certainly fast so how about it? 

Hang on a minute, it's not me who suggested a willy waving contest about who's the best technical bass player. I'm not claiming to be a monster technician and I have no idea if laughing boy is or isn't. But I do get plenty of gigs and there is a reason for that. 

The only thing I would suggest that people like you take from this thread is to develop a reasonable technique and then be open to breaking the rules when it suits. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, peteb said:

The only thing I would suggest that people like you take from this thread is to develop a reasonable technique and then be open to breaking the rules when it suits. 

That's pretty much what I took from it.

It does seem like a one man battle of egos if I'm honest 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1