Why become a member? ×

Ebay idiots

Burns-bass

Thank you folks for the offers of help, before I've even bought anything!  I am going to stay true to my aim to be abstinent until the end of the year.  If I do attempt to purchase something collection only next year, I'll start a thread about it and see what can be done.

• Like 1

I never understand why people won’t drive a couple of hours to go and pick something up. The cost in fuel is tiny compared to delivery fees (for larger items) and you get to see/test the item before handing over money. 
I did a 2hr round trip to buy an amp and I’d consider that local, I also once did a 8 hour round trip to buy a £100 bike (that was worth a lot more than that) as the person wouldn’t post it. Cost me about £50 in fuel that one!

I’ve never bought a 2nd hand bass but there is no way I’d buy one sight unseen via post. 

I figure going to see something in person does take up time and costs a little money but the hassle, disappointment, stress and expense of receiving something crap/damaged/not as described in the mail is a lot more than half a day out in the car. 

Edited by Minininjarob
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Minininjarob said:

I never understand why people won’t drive a couple of hours to go and pick something up. The cost in fuel is tiny compared to delivery fees (for larger items) and you get to see/test the item before handing over money. 
I did a 2hr round trip to buy an amp and I’d consider that local, I also once did a 8 hour round trip to buy a £100 bike (that was worth a lot more than that) as the person wouldn’t post it. Cost me about £50 in fuel that one!

I’ve never bought a 2nd hand bass but there is no way I’d buy one sight unseen via post. 

I figure going to see something in person does take up time and costs a little money but the hassle, disappointment, stress and expense of receiving something crap/damaged/not as described in the mail is a lot more than half a day out in the car. 

Years ago before it was so riddled with thieves I used to sell on ebay. Had a top end accordion sell to a high ranking member of the armed forces in China by auction

Double boxed it loads of pro quality fillings sent by Fedex (only people who would go there at the time) He was delighted. £750 was the cost of the item with about £125 shipping.

Had no idea it was worth quite that much but he did. Horses for courses

1 hour ago, Minininjarob said:

I don't drive and therefore don't own a car.

Besides, in the days when I was buying a lot of musical instruments on eBay a significant proportion of them came from mainland Europe, the US or Japan- hardly within driving distance!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Ralf1e said:

Had a top end accordion sell to a high ranking member of the armed forces in China by auction

Double boxed it loads of pro quality fillings sent by Fedex (only people who would go there at the time) He was delighted. £750 was the cost of the item with about £125 shipping.

Hell of a drive otherwise!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 13/12/2022 at 07:21, Burns-bass said:

I advertised my Carlsboro valve amp on eBay with a collection only stipulation. Someone clicked the buy button, then immediately emailed me to say "I'm sorry it's not looking good for collection, but if you package up the amp I'll have Royal Mail collect it." 

When I pointed out this wasn't going to happen and that his idiocy had cost me money and wasted my time, he started getting aggressive about it.

I appreciate this is an entirely pointless post, but I just wanted to vent somewhere. Ebay idiots, eh?

Not just eBay, Shpock, Gumtree similar. Can you deliver?  Is one of the questions..

Over the weekend I sold two Squier guitars on Gumtree I wanted to sell them for a couple of years now to finance a project guitar, but was in no rush selling them, the ads had pictures of every dent, scratch and this was also mentioned in the description. When one seller  turned up yesterday, I pointed these out minor tear and wear. I also provided a new set of strings, still in original unsealed packaging, also in the description. He wasn't aware. Obviously he didn't read the add but it seems that he looked at the main photo only. He said, does it come with an amp? I said you can have an amp but that will be extra so and so. Anyway, I felt generous and felt bit sorry for the youngster so reduced the price at door step. Saturday,sold the other Squier, i put it on hold for someone for a week, they collected it but the questions were never ending. I also gave them a discount at the door step. Both were happy. I think one with locking tuners I put on and new strings they got a bargain.

Not music related, but I put a perfectly working washing machine on Gumtree on Friday for sale, very cheap. It sat in the utility room unused for a year, we thought we use it as a back up...don't know why..never did.within 2 hours it was collected. I gave it out for free even helped loading it in a car. It  was my intention to just give it away, and the buyer was shocked as he desperately needed a washing machine. I didn't want to advertise for free knowing it would end up in scrap.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, SH73 said:

Not just eBay, Shpock, Gumtree similar. Can you deliver?  Is one of the questions..

I don't mind the question 'can you deliver' even when I have said I couldn't, that is just part of the problem of selling, as long as it happens before any bid. Bidding and then winning and just assuming you will deliver, that is the pain.

36 minutes ago, SH73 said:

Not music related, but I put a perfectly working washing machine on Gumtree on Friday for sale, very cheap. It sat in the utility room unused for a year, we thought we use it as a back up...don't know why..never did.within 2 hours it was collected. I gave it out for free even helped loading it in a car. It  was my intention to just give it away, and the buyer was shocked as he desperately needed a washing machine. I didn't want to advertise for free knowing it would end up in scrap.

We used to use freecycle to get rid of stuff, but now we put a price on things, even if we would be happy to give them aways free, just because dealing with people on freecycle was a lot worse than dealing with people who will spend a short amount of money.

Half the people on freecycle are just businesses that will take stuff and then sell them to others, and the other half are people who are beyond entitled, who once you give away a washing machine for collection get really annoyed you won't deliver it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I don't mind the question 'can you deliver' even when I have said I couldn't, that is just part of the problem of selling, as long as it happens before any bid. Bidding and then winning and just assuming you will deliver, that is the pain.

I ALWAYS ask before bidding, and politely.  I find it absolutely bonkers to do this afterwards, regardless of how politely it is done.

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 2

On 17/12/2022 at 11:53, Minininjarob said:

I missed this point first time around.  I would happily drive 2 hours to do a deal.  That takes me to... Perth, maybe Dunfermline at a push heading south or Forres, maybe Nairn if I'm heading north-west with a view to going north.  There are a whole lot of mountains in between those points.  And Dundee.

There are very little opportunities for bass related commerce in this small network of not particularly big places.

I don't know where you're located, but I'm willing to bet you are more centrally located than me.  And this is the point where you tell me you're on the Isle of Wight or something :D

Edited by neepheid
  • Haha 1

I had this embuggerance with a flight cased  acoustic I'd taken as a trade. Strictly collection only including meet up option. No shipping under any circs , do not bid unless you'll collect  etc etc.

Bloke from London bought it - straight away he paid and asked when I would be posting it. I said not happening , you should have read the description correctly etc etc. Now it gets good.....

Bloke called me a racist. Said I was only being horrible to him because he was Asian ( as if I can tell his background from a username - plus how does he know my heritage isn't the same as his ) and that he wasn't able to read the description properly because he didn't properly understand English - and that I should have taken that into account. At this point I googled his name as ebay had sent me his details - turns out he was a consultant at a London hospital. A  Doc working in London that can't understand English but can communicate perfectly well enough to accuse me of all sorts ??!!!

Anyway - I wanted his money and he was the only bidder at my slightly inflated starting price so I just sent it to him , leaving me a few quid down. Plus I was rattled with the racist thing. Hopefully it arrived in little pieces and his wedding veg has since dropped off.

Edited by Dr.Dave
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I think in those circumstances I almost certainly wouldn't have sold it to him, and reported him to ebay for abuse. And the hospital!

I'd have had a wicked hot curry, then used the sound hole of the acoustic as a lavatory before sending it off... 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I think in those circumstances I almost certainly wouldn't have sold it to him, and reported him to ebay for abuse. And the hospital!

That's the principled response.  I took the ' get the cash and do one to Lanzarote for a fortnight with it' approach. 

• Haha 2

I don’t sell on ebay much anymore but when I did I always had a standard paragraph I used to paste at the bottom of the description which included; I wont end the auction early for a cash buyer - it’s collection only - no buy it now deals - I don’t want to swap it for your speedboat or other unwanted sh!t etc etc. 

Always got questions about delivery or other stuff that was clearly stated in the listing. 
people are stooooopid. 

2 hours ago, DTB said:

people are stooooopid.

Some are, but a lot are just chancers. I was selling a PA power amp. Heavy brute, so stressed collection only. Some bloke got in touch and was incensed that I wouldn't post it. I tried all the reasonable replies - very heavy, post costly, not possible to wrap to ensure it won't be damaged, I'm a private individual not a dealer, etc, etc. He kept pushing. Eventually had to tell him to stop acting entitled and get lost, at which point he started bleating about what a nasty man I was.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

Eventually had to tell him to stop acting entitled and get lost, at which point he started bleating about what a nasty man I was.

When someone says they don't post, and something hasn't sold and they relist and relist, I ask if they would consider posting. If they won't then that is fine, its worth an ask, but the answer no is pretty clear, it doesn't need a reason.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Woody1957 said:

Had a guy recently who bought my hifi speakers but didn't pay...I lost out on the 80% sellers charge and ended up selling to someone else and payed the full sellers charge. There are some proper tossers/chancers/idiots on ebay!!

I had that once, I explained it to eBay, they reviewed it, then waived the selling fee when I relisted the item.

Edited by binky_bass

What. The. Fug...

I've just had to call the police when collecting a Peavey acoustic from a VERY  unstable chap in Rayleigh, Essex. 

I won the auction and paid via PayPal, all good. Arranged to collect the guitar at his (his parents) house this evening.

Turned up at the agreed time, his dad answered the door as the chap wasn't home yet. His dad was perfectly nice. The guy gets home, shows me the guitar, and there's a massive crack on the top... there was no mention of this in the advert and the photos (all 3 of them) were quite poor quality so it couldn't be seen. 

When I pointed out the crack (I didn't ask for any refund or part refund, I just pointed it out) he went absolutely mental! Screaming at me, telling me to F-Off out of his (his parents) house, telling me he'll call the police, refusing to hand over the guitar and refusing a refund (which I asked him to process when it became evident he'd not hand over the guitar). He followed me out of the house filming me with his camera phone while screaming at me, his dad tried to call him back into the house. I told him my son was in the car (car was a meter or so away at all times) and that he needed to take a step back, he then threatened me and my baby son, his dad eventually got him back in the house. I decided to call the police as I'm not having someone threaten a baby, and if they're going to threatened a baby and act in the absolutely insane way he did, what else would they do? I could hear him screaming at his parents inside the house after... he then sent me a rather offensive message via eBay while I awaited the police (see below), they arrived and listened to my side of events, I told them he'd filmed everything which was great for me as it highlighted to the police exactly how crazy he'd been and exactly how diplomatic and level headed I'd been! They then went into the house, spoke with him, watched his footage and then told him that he was the one that escalated himself for no visible reason. 

He then refused to process a refund via eBay, so I spoke to a rather excellent chap at eBay who forced the refund on account of me not providing the seller with the collection code thus in their eyes it wasn't collected (which it wasn't!)

It was a bit of an insane encounter! Never in all my near 20 years of buying and collecting many-an-item from eBay have I ever come close to the insanity that befell me this evening!

I feel sorry for him to be honest, to be that unstable can't be an easy life to live for him or his parents. Still... utterly crazy and unacceptable.

This is the message he sent me on eBay (which is almost entirely false) while I was awaiting the police, those that have met me will know just how absurd and offensive this message is:

Screenshot_20230215_210103_eBay.thumb.jpg.0823c2fd1ccc0f46b7c01591292e05e3.jpg

Edited by binky_bass
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2